Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a replacement 51 series battery from Autozone a little over a year ago. We all know how bad those little things are in the Accords.

Last week I was cleaning the car with the radio off and just the front doors open and the battery died within half an hour. This morning I went to start the car and it barely started.

I drove for 2 hours and parked for and hour and the car wouldn't start when I returned. I had to pay a very hospitable New Yorker $10 for a jump. I wasn't happy about it but I wasn't alone so I just wanted to get the car started.

I drove to Autozone about 8 pm and told the guy there that I have the warranty. It couldn't have gone any better.

He said if I bring the battery to him he will give me a new one because they are busy and can't test at the moment.

I borrowed his 10mm wrench to remove the dead battery.

When I went back in I asked if I could upgrade to the bigger battery.

He said it won't fit.

I said yes it will.

He said go take one and put it in if it fits you can have it.

I put it and went back to him.

He returned the old battery and noted that I wasn't happy with it. He adjusted the price of the new one and I now have a new battery with 3 year replacement and up to 8 year pro-rated.

I'm a happy camper.

Moral of the story is to go to Autozone close to closing time and you might get a free replacement battery.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Well played, sir....well played.:notworthy

·
Missing my ED7
35 Posts
I hate it when some clueless 17 year old autozone employees try to tell you that a part (which you have specifically asked for) won't fit.

When they ask me what car it is for I just tell them "Car?...I don't have a car, I just collect auto parts"

Glad it worked out in your favor!

·
07 Sdn
384 Posts
And what brand battery did you get from AutoZone?
Doesn't matter, they are pretty much all made by Johnson Controls, same people that make Die Hard, Interstate and a bunch of OEM's like Toyota, Honda, Mazda etc etc. Just make sure its a fresh manufacture date.

·
Accordial
36 Posts
it just fit right in there? from my understanding there is a little tweeking you need to do before it fits?

·
Accordial
36 Posts
i recall you must switch to the V6 battery tray
not only that, others have said you need a bigger cover and a thicker negative cable? if it really fits right in without all that I'm going to go do this tomorrow:)

·
Registered
310 Posts
not only that, others have said you need a bigger cover and a thicker negative cable? if it really fits right in without all that I'm going to go do this tomorrow:)
thicker cable to get the full benefit of the juice.

on the side note, my costco battery has been good for 3 years and still starts fine. amazed. no green corrosion either.

·
Super Moderator
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The plastic battery tray and cover is too small but the base is same size for V6 or I4. I might buy those 2 items but I sure they are not needed. I might even cut the battery cover and just slide it on either side of the battery. I could probably tweak the tray too. Also the hold down piece has a little tab the holds the smaller battery. I just used the wrench to bend the tab back.

I'll pick up a negative cable next time I'm out.

As for the $10, it's life. I thought the guy was joking but he had his hands out before he even popped the hood. I guess it's better than those people who tell you that there is no battery in their car.

·
Accordial
36 Posts
The plastic battery tray and cover is too small but the base is same size for V6 or I4. I might buy those 2 items but I sure they are not needed. I might even cut the battery cover and just slide it on either side of the battery. I could probably tweak the tray too. Also the hold down piece has a little tab the holds the smaller battery. I just used the wrench to bend the tab back.

I'll pick up a negative cable next time I'm out.

As for the $10, it's life. I thought the guy was joking but he had his hands out before he even popped the hood. I guess it's better than those people who tell you that there is no battery in their car.
so your battery isn't being held down by anything?

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
There would be a bracket going across the top of the battery with two J hook threaded rods holding the bracket down which holds the battery down.

·
Super Moderator
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There would be a bracket going across the top of the battery with two J hook threaded rods holding the bracket down which holds the battery down.
Correct. The bracket is wide enough and the J-hooks are just long enough. They were a pain to catch in the dark though.

Wasn't expecting more power. I just wanted to make sure my car would start when I turn the key especially with the colder weather coming.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts