Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am new to the forum world, I have a '17 Accord Sport Special Edition (manual of course), coming from the '14 TSX special edition which came stock with 6 speakers + sub totaling 360 watts. The Accord has 4 speakers, no sub, 160 watts. I just want to replicate the sound quality and bump I had in my TSX, nothing crazy. Looking for suggestions on whether I should just get a sub in a box for my trunk (sigh...) or try to replace speakers with higher watts? Best Buy suggested the Kicker CX300.1 package. Thanks all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My recomendation - Put sound deadener in the doors first and have a listen. It might be all you need. Add a sub if you really want those deep lows, but deaden the trunk as well then. Dont want to hear that rattling from the trunk when you drive by, or worse, in the cabin.

Dynamat and SecondSkin are two brands that come to mind, but there are others at various prices.

I wouldent increase the speakers power handeling without deadening. Could cause rattles from the doors as well.

·
Rollin in FL
1,117 Posts
I did a recent audio install in my 6th gen, basically replacing the stock Pioneer 6.5 2-way speakers with Kicker 6.5 2-way speakers, with 300 watts in each speaker, for the fronts. I haven't installed a sub, but in my other car, it has a Bose Audio sub-woofer. I'd recommend Kicker, since that's what most of my friends have, and the quality is better than stock. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
not sure what your budget is, but i recently upgraded the speakers in my 13' Sport. i replaced all 4 speakers with components up front and coaxials in the rear, all being powered by a 4 channel amp under the passenger seat. i also added a powered 8" subwoofer under the driver seat. im very happy with the results for the work i've had done.

my suggestion, depending on what you want to do, start with replacing the speakers and adding a small amp to power them. if you just do speakers alone i think you will be disappointed. there are mixed reviews about improving sound with just speakers alone in the 9th gen Accords, especially the Sport and LX models because of the way the audio systems in these cars are configured. including an amp will put you on track to making your new speakers sound as best as they can. if you aren't happy with that then you can go the next step and add a sub. for me, i knew i wanted some added bass straight away so i just went ahead and did the powered sub under the seat. i wanted solid bass and more coverage on the lower range, but not the bass in the trunk of my high school days. and overall, i wanted the entire package to "look stock" ie, no boxes in the trunk, no aftermarket deck, etc...

if you do add a sub be sure and have the Active Noise Canceling disabled (tons of threads on this subject in the forum if you search).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for your response. i also want that stock look and want to avoid my 16 year old self, do you have links to the subwoofer you installed under the seat?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Rockford Fosgate PS-8

a couple others make similar products, off the top of my head i know Sound Ordinance and Infinity both make powered subs that fit under the Accord seats too at a similar price. im very happy with the Rockford though. my installer hadn't seen this before but he even commented its one of the best compact powered 8" subs he's ever heard.

i know the website says $299, but you should be able to find for around $200-250.

·
Registered
3 Posts
'17 sport audio

I have a '17 sport and immediately after delivery, the audio was upgraded as follows:

Focal speakers in doors
Amp under console
Bazooka powered sub (I'm still a little "old school")

Big time improvement

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just my two cents. I just went through this exercise on a 2014 Accord Coupe with your 160 watt OEM 6 speaker system. Awful OEM muddy bass, and mediocre high end. Didn't want to add another amp, so tried Infinity, Polk, and Alpine component speakers up front over the last 2 years. All the same, bass (what little there now was) cleaner, and zero low bass, but the highs were just too overpowering even for me on all three. Ended up with just some Kicker 6.5" speakers for relatively clean mid bass, and as a last ditch put on some extremely cheap ($6) no name 1" component tweeters I had in my parts box instead of the not quite bright enough OEM tweeters. Big surpirse, just the right amount of highs (I can set the treble to 0 or -2 and it's very crisp). So my take is one of these days I will need to add a powered sub to replace the low end but for the time being I can now live with the sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cheap improvment

I recently upgraded my '15 Accord Sport on a low budget but improved the sound quality a ton by simply adding OEM tweeters.
$100 for factory sail panels and tweeters
$50 for the local audio shop to install them (I didn't have time that week or I would have done it myself).
I wasn't expecting it to be as much improvement as it turned out to be. It is soooo much better than the awful stock sound. It isn't what I could have had for $1000-$1500, but from what I've read in other posts, and this one, it is difficult to get balanced clean sound without spending a LOT more.
And I still have the automatic noise cancellation.

If you go this route, be sure to order the tweeters for the EX Accord, that have the crossover included. The higher end models have the crossover built into the head unit. (At least that's how it is on the '13-'15 models).

·
Registered
134 Posts
im considering the same thing.
Searching yields so much mixed reviews that im just going to get a front set of components and rear speakers(polk audio)
I have an LC2i which I can tap off the rear speakers and use my existing amp and kicker sub.
Like you, I want something simple. Can't invest in a sound system like I used to considering I have 4 year old twin boys and another boy on the way.

The set up I had in my TL involved using an LC7i.
I removed the factory amp and converted the speaker outputs from the radio to RCA connectors. I think the same can be done with the accord sport but its just to much time i dont want to dedicate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts