Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2005 Hybrid NAVI and was wondering if it is feasable, easy or possible to modify my navi unit to the 06-07. I'm on the version 3.4 orange disk now. I'm having a little white navi envy.

I was originally going to buy an 06-07 but couldn't justify paying $4K more.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i know that the 03-05 navi to 06-07 navi conversion is a bit tough because it requires a new dvd unit and screen and a bit modification in the wiring(not sure exactly). however this HAS been done and is possible.

i would imagine the hybrid navigation conversion would be even tougher because the hybrid has extra features.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Someone else said the wiring is the same on the DVD-ROM drive between the two different models (03-05, 06-07). I am not sure why you would need a new head unit since none of the buttons have changed and the screen is the same. I have never tested it.

Now, your other problem is that you bought a Hybrid Accord. The electronics in the Hybrid, especially the stereo, is wired completely different than the standard Accord. For example, you need a DVD-ROM drive from a Hybrid. You cannot use the DVD-ROM drive from the standard Accord because it won't fit in your lower pocket below the stereo. The Hybrid uses a different DVD-ROM drive model which is mounted in the lower pocket. Other Accords have the drive mounted in the trunk. You won't get any new features with the white DVD, other than the custom wiring that can be done to install a rear camera. Other than that, the only difference is an updated GUI with a brushed metal appearance instead of a flat gray appearance for the buttons, along with an updated font. So unless you plan on doing a rear camera, you would be wasting your money trying to find a DVD-ROM drive from an 06-07 Hybrid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the 7.5 gen have spoken street names; like "turn right at Elm Street" instead of "turn right in 1/4 mile".They also have the Zagat guide included. I also found out that the screen is actually a little bigger in the 7.5. Finally the pre 2006 use infra-red sensing for the screen input and the others use an actual touch screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I swapped the DVD-ROM drive from my 2004 Accord Coupe with one from a 2007 as my original one was failing. It was straight plug and play for me. So I've been using the White navi disc obviously in that unit. The only caveat that I've experienced is that when you touch the buttons on the screen kinda off a tad but no biggie. Rather had a working navi unit than a broken one. I don't believe you need to swap the head unit if that was your intention as switching out the reader in the trunk did the trick. But could all be moot as you have a hybrid. Hope that helps ya.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Actually the 7.5 gen have spoken street names; like "turn right at Elm Street" instead of "turn right in 1/4 mile".They also have the Zagat guide included. I also found out that the screen is actually a little bigger in the 7.5. Finally the pre 2006 use infra-red sensing for the screen input and the others use an actual touch screen.
Good to know...which probably explains why the head unit must also be replaced if upgrading to an 06-07 DVD-ROM drive (sounds like the screen is a higher resolution). In the OP case, the Hybrid is still a completely different animal compared to the standard Accord. Even the head unit in the Accord Hybrid is wired completely different than the standard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts