Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe and I am trying to upgrade the stock radio to the navigation version that came with some of the hybrids. Only problem is I don't have all the wiring harnesses. There were only 3 slots I had to plug in the old OEM stock radio, but in the new navigation one there are 9 slots.. Plus I have the dvd player that comes with it as well and have no idea what to do with it. I don't want to get ripped off at Audio Express and end up paying hundreds for a couple of wires but I have no clue what I exactly need. Does anyone know?

·
Roll Tide!
6,795 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$1,200 though?? WTF? just looking at that price hurts my head. I bought the navigation for $360 and im broke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would rather pay $360 and have it not work than $1200 plus a couple of wires.. The guy on ebay is willing to sell me the harness kit for $20 I just don't know the name of the wires I need. That acurahonda guy is a complete rip off dude, and hes a liar. He said that putting the navigation in a car boosts the price to 8,000 and it costs 3,000 to have it done by Honda. I don't trust him lol. I mine as well go to audio express where they are doing it for $220.

I'll tell you how much the acurahonda guy wants to sell me the wiring harness for.. Probably 500 bucks lmao.

If you can afford anything from that guy then you should hook me up with whatever job you have because that is ridiculous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How am I full of shit? Dozens of people are selling the same exact thing he is selling for 300-600 bucks and he is selling it for 1200. THAT is full of shit. Is this a joke?

·
6th Gear
528 Posts
This is the best aftermarket GPS setup for the 7th Gen that appears close to factory stock.

Got a Kuda leather mount to maintain an OEM factory appearance. The Kuda mount is screwed into the side of the dash (the audio/climate unit had to be removed for these screws) -- you can slightly see an extension of the mount on the side-view photo where it disappears into the dash at the edge of the audio/climate unit. A Garmin GPS (pictured) sits right behind the steering wheel rim and powered by the add-a-circuit to one of the available fuses, so there is no unsightly cords.

I didn't want a suction cup on the windshield, or one of those friction mounts that sit on top of the dash (what happens when you get into an accident? where does the mount go?). This Kuda mount was the best option for a factory appearance to the dash. Besides, I can frequently remove the GPS and bring it with me into a store.

When I got this done about 5 years ago, the total cost of the Garmin GPS, parts, plus having an audio shop perform the aftermarket installation and wire it to an accessories fuse, was about $550.

Attachments

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
I bought the navigation for $360 and im broke.
Just throwing this out there:

If you're broke after spending $360, you probably shouldn't be spending $360 on something as useless as a navi system. Jussayin. Priorities seem to be misplaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a mount for my cell phone which has a GPS on it. The point was for the dashboard to look nice and have a touch screen display. All I need is the wires for it, im not looking for anything else. Ty though.

Just throwing this out there:

If you're broke after spending $360, you probably shouldn't be spending $360 on something as useless as a navi system. Jussayin. Priorities seem to be misplaced.
It's not just the navi system though, also how is this helping with anything? If I spend 360 on it and it actually hooked up, id be perfectly happy. I didn't know the wires for the old radio wouldn't work with it. It also came with a dvd player and stuff. I have navigation on my phone, I just like how sleek it makes my car look/feel. It makes it a lot more modern. It has many other features on it too.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Martin (acurahondaexpert) sells just the wiring harness for around $300-400 which is honestly a fair price for all of the work he has to put into it. If you read the auction, it clearly states that it's for the entire navi easy-to-install "kit" including the headunit, DVD-Rom, Navi DVD, upper air vent display, wiring harness, etc. He rarely lists the wiring harnesses separate, but will make one for you if you contact him. G'luck

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Martin (acurahondaexpert) sells just the wiring harness for around $300-400 which is honestly a fair price for all of the work he has to put into it. If you read the auction, it clearly states that it's for the entire navi easy-to-install "kit" including the headunit, DVD-Rom, Navi DVD, upper air vent display, wiring harness, etc. He rarely lists the wiring harnesses separate, but will make one for you if you contact him. G'luck
Ben, did you make your harness on your own or bought from this seller?

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Just how often do you actually need the navigation?

As it is the case with many "retrofit", it will cost more now than to have it as part of the car from the factory.

If you don't like the price of the harness from one supplier, then find one that you like, no point getting upset and call the supplier names if you hadn't done the necessary homework yourself before shelling out the money for the bits and pieces.

I have made similar mistakes, but at smaller scales, and I just sucked it up and chuck it up to experience.

BTW, the guy selling the harness at a premium price spent a lot of his own personal time figuring out the wiring diagrams, sourced the necessary components, make up the harness, test it out to make sure it works, of course he's going to sell it at a premium considering how many (few?) people would actually go this route, it's capitalism at work.

BTW #2, I use a Gramin unit now, free lifetime traffic and map update, it gets stored into the center console when I don't need it, which is most of the time. If you are "broke", then sell the $360 worth of navigation stuff to somebody else and get a Garmin for half that money.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
haha no way did I make it - that thing is comp-li-cated! I bought the entire navi "kit" off of another member here that already included Martin's harness. My car is the 3rd vehicle the harness has been installed/uninstalled into and it still works flawlessly! :thmsup: Martin really does excellent work and top quality workmanship. Exactly as Avio stated, he put a LOT of time into the process and sales it at a premium price - monopolists can do that ;)

P.S. to the OP: I created a very detailed How-To tutorial back when I installed mine, you can access it here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ your full of shit. good luck and welcome to the forum. you've made a grand entrance for sure.
Dude I was just about to return it but the guy emailed me back and hes selling me these for only $20.. 200-400 for 6 pairs of wires is the true SHIT. Get a reality check.

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t34/1615167_10201977571214098_734112347_n.jpg?oh=d8c0bbb5776932a2e193313e45e03738&oe=52E7115F

I feel bad for anyone that spends hundreds of dollars for something that's really a few bucks and thinks they aren't getting ripped.

Gonna finish installing it myself in a few days when it arrives.

haha no way did I make it - that thing is comp-li-cated! I bought the entire navi "kit" off of another member here that already included Martin's harness. My car is the 3rd vehicle the harness has been installed/uninstalled into and it still works flawlessly! :thmsup: Martin really does excellent work and top quality workmanship. Exactly as Avio stated, he put a LOT of time into the process and sales it at a premium price - monopolists can do that ;)

P.S. to the OP: I created a very detailed How-To tutorial back when I installed mine, you can access it here
Thanks for that detailed diagragm. If I have these wires plus the 3 that I already have from my old radio, is it all I'll need?

I don't have the touch screen thing above the ac unit btw.

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t34/1615167_10201977571214098_734112347_n.jpg?oh=d8c0bbb5776932a2e193313e45e03738&oe=52E7115F

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe and I am trying to upgrade the stock radio to the navigation version that came with some of the hybrids. Only problem is I don't have all the wiring harnesses. There were only 3 slots I had to plug in the old OEM stock radio, but in the new navigation one there are 9 slots.. Plus I have the dvd player that comes with it as well and have no idea what to do with it. I don't want to get ripped off at Audio Express and end up paying hundreds for a couple of wires but I have no clue what I exactly need. Does anyone know?
i know this doesnt help you get it installed. but i was wondering how old is this unit.. i use gps A LOT with my job and i know how important it is to have UPDATED maps.. i have to wonder since this last year for this model was 07, how up to date is the maps in your units. and can this be updated? and at what cost?

i had a 4 yr old gps and when i travel all over it missed new roads, updated construction etc

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I just saw your guide Ben, I have to say that looks just awesome. I have the ability of getting the necessary parts from the Junkyards nearby, the missing part would be the harness. Is hooking it up without the Trip/Navi working, pretty much essentially as a radio only possible without the custom harness in the meantime?

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
i know this doesnt help you get it installed. but i was wondering how old is this unit.. i use gps A LOT with my job and i know how important it is to have UPDATED maps.. i have to wonder since this last year for this model was 07, how up to date is the maps in your units. and can this be updated? and at what cost?

i had a 4 yr old gps and when i travel all over it missed new roads, updated construction etc
Every year Honda/Acura releases new map DVDs. Upgrade cost retails for $150 but you can find them online for cheaper after a couple months. I currently have the newest 2013 disc - upgraded from a 2006 disc.

I just saw your guide Ben, I have to say that looks just awesome. I have the ability of getting the necessary parts from the Junkyards nearby, the missing part would be the harness. Is hooking it up without the Trip/Navi working, pretty much essentially as a radio only possible without the custom harness in the meantime?
I really do not know as I have not tried it without the navi harness - but I'd imagine that your stock harness would plug into the back of the CD changer and radio. You'll need to radio and navi codes (separate) for the new head unit. IMHO, if you need to save for the harness - I'd just wait until you can save up to buy one - otherwise, what's the point of installing it just to have the exact same radio/CD changer, then having to take everything back apart to re-install the new harness when you receive one? :dunno:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Let me know who is selling a complete nav harness for $20, I'd like to buy a few!!!
There's no way someone can sell a complete harness for $20, the original poster is confused on what it takes to do this conversion!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts