Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the options out there of upgrading to leather seats? I know about Katzkin but I feel like it's going to break the bank.

Would used leather seats from other cars fit into the 2013 Honda Accord's brackets?
For example, going to a junk yard and picking up seats from a salvaged Mercedes-Benz and attempting to install them in my Accord.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
What are some of the options out there of upgrading to leather seats? I know about Katzkin but I feel like it's going to break the bank.

Would used leather seats from other cars fit into the 2013 Honda Accord's brackets?
For example, going to a junk yard and picking up seats from a salvaged Mercedes-Benz and attempting to install them in my Accord.
Your best and cheapest solution will be the Katzkins.

Jay

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Your best and cheapest solution will be the Katzkins.

Jay
I concur. Trying to retrofit other manufacturers seats will cost more in the end.

If you are still persistent in going that route then look at the current generation Acura TL and TSX leather seats; those will have a higher chance of fitting as the seat base is similar to our Accords.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the reason to potentially go third party leather is because Honda's L for leather is really lacking in quality finish. There's little to no leather smell and the material is very thick and firm - as opposed to soft and supple. To me, it doesn't feel like leather. I would pay upwards of $2,000 for a decent leather material to be upholstered in replacement of the cloth. It's always been this way with Honda and I don't understand why they haven't found a better material after all these years. The only thing I can think of is that due to the long lasting nature of their cars that the better feeling leathers may not wear as long as the rest of the car.

Anyway, does anyone know how much this Katskin upgrade would cost and how many of the dealers are equipped to do it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think the reason to potentially go third party leather is because Honda's L for leather is really lacking in quality finish. There's little to no leather smell and the material is very thick and firm - as opposed to soft and supple. To me, it doesn't feel like leather. I would pay upwards of $2,000 for a decent leather material to be upholstered in replacement of the cloth. It's always been this way with Honda and I don't understand why they haven't found a better material after all these years. The only thing I can think of is that due to the long lasting nature of their cars that the better feeling leathers may not wear as long as the rest of the car.

Anyway, does anyone know how much this Katskin upgrade would cost and how many of the dealers are equipped to do it?
Honda's leather is crap. The entire rear seat in the coupes is vinyl and usually only the faces on the fronts are leather. This is why there isn't a real leather smell--it's not all leather. I swapped mine for a custom Katzkin kit.

Katzkin kits can vary in pricing depending on custom options. To upgrade through the dealer (depending on the area you're in), you could be looking at $900-$2000. I would HIGHLY recommend Katzkin over factory leather. Talk to your dealership about the upfitter they use. A lot of dealers don't do the installation themselves, but rather send it to a shop that is authorized to install the kits. Katzkin carries a 3 year, 36K mile warranty.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
The Accord leather sucks. I thought about having my seats redone, but at least it's durable and I can clean it with wipes lol

·
Registered
608 Posts
The factory leather is only on the seat and seatback, the rest is vinyl. It's not great quality but in my opinion no worse than comparable $ cars. Can't vouch for the durability as too early to tell but don't see any problems with it. Honda really needs to set the bar though and offer something superior to set the Accord apart.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The seating portion of the leather seats has perferations to allow air to circulate around your back and butt. The other leather portions could be a little more supple. Since I consider the back seat in my coupe an occasional or child seat, who cares if it's vinyl.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Years ago I had Katskins installed in my Lexus SC300. Went with Camel and Black. Excellent fit. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my new Accord. I wish Honda would have offered a few choices other than Black.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your Accord seats have airbags in them. Putting another make/model seats in it would lose the side airbags, probably throw codes for a check engine light, and might disable your entire airbag system.

I would guess the Katzkins would be designed for airbags in seats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts