Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new here so sorry if I come off nube. I just got this 2000 accord and have squeaks coming from turns and bumps and general riding. I bought a front suspension kit with control arms and other goodies. I put on the control arm but I put the grease in the upper ball joint
before tightening the bolt down and lowering the car I took a picture I'm not for sure if this would be a problem after I read up on it some more. The car is starting to squeak again which makes me believe the lower ball joint needs to be replaced as well. But do I need to drain the grease and reinstall tighten then upper ball joint first before grease or should it be alright(take a look at the picture it just looks a bit stuffed to me like it's too much in there.)

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Hi everyone I'm new here so sorry if I come off nube. I just got this 2000 accord and have squeaks coming from turns and bumps and general riding. I bought a front suspension kit with control arms and other goodies. I put on the control arm but I put the grease in the upper ball joint View attachment 518654 before tightening the bolt down and lowering the car I took a picture I'm not for sure if this would be a problem after I read up on it some more. The car is starting to squeak again which makes me believe the lower ball joint needs to be replaced as well. But do I need to drain the grease and reinstall tighten then upper ball joint first before grease or should it be alright(take a look at the picture it just looks a bit stuffed to me like it's too much in there.)
That might be a bit too much grease. Greaseable ball joints should really be greased up after everything is tightened up to prevent exactly this issue. The boot will likely tear sooner than manufacturer spec calls for.

The squeaking may be from several things. First check for loose / broken / failed end links as they are a common reason why suspension squeaks, "clanks", and "clunks" on this platform. Other squeaking is caused by old rubber at the sway bar bushings or dried out grease on polyurethane bushings.

I'm unsure about what noises a worn out lower ball joint would sound like, but if you replace one, be sure to replace the other. It's one of those things that should be done in pairs.

Back to the picture, unless the ball joint boot has a slit for excess grease to escape from, I'd leave it alone until it does tear. At that point, then start adding new grease every so often (every other oil change or similar interval) to prevent contaminants to allow the ball joint to fail sooner than expected.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cruizahkimo
1 - 2 of 2 Posts