Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I replaced the upper control arms on our 99 Accord LX around 4 years ago and the driver's side has once again a split boot. I think the issue was because I didn't raise the lower control arm up when I tightened up the bolt for the upper control arm and some grease seeped out. So I am looking to save some money as my father puts around 3,000 miles a year on it.

I was looking at RockAuto and see the Moog ones go for around $55. I do have a question though. It looks like there are two part numbers one with the "R series" and one without. I am guessing the R series is just a cheaper version. Should I go with the more expensive $80 one instead? It still will be half the cost of OEM. I just don't want to be replacing the R series in 4 years again (if the car is still around).

Federal-Mogul Resource Center - Vehicle Look-up

Thanks,
Nick

·
Super Moderator
5,580 Posts
I've heard that MOOG has actually degraded in quality a significant amount over the last few years. If your dad only drives 3,000 miles a year, then I wouldn't say that the mileage killed these control arms, but rather time and cheap rubber used by MOOG.

If anything, I'd say go with either ACDelco or Raybestos components for the control arms.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The ones on there at the moment are OEM. 4 years seems short on the boot which is why I think it was something that I did by not putting a load on the lower control arm before installing the upper.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would I have any issues if one is OEM while one is not OEM?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts