Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i have been having a problem with my 86 accord. when it sits overnight the fuel drains back into the tank and when i try to start the car in the morning it wont pump any fuel. i had read somewhere about pressure building up in the carb bowl and not allowing fuel to come in. when this condition happens, if i undo the fuel line the pump will start pumping fuel right away. i thought i had read something about the fuel cut off solonoid on the back of the carb causing this. did i read right? if so, can i just cut the end of the plunger off? i really need to fix this thing tonight if possible. any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The carb solenoid does not prevent fuel from entering the carb, it prevents fuel already in the carb bowl from entering the jets. The float is what regulates the fuel entering the carb. Maybe its sticking if there is no gas in the bowl. Can you see the fuel level in the carb sight glass? Is the fuel pump running when you cycle the ignition switch?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes there is fuel in the bowl some times and sometimes there isnt. it almost acts like theres a plugged vent and a build up of pressure that the pump cant get past. if i take the line off all of a sudden it will flow fuel. i cant find any info on a vent though. yes the pump does come on.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I dont think a plugged vent would prevent fuel from flowing into the carb. The vent is really only used to route gas fumes to the charcoal canister when the engine is off. I would still suspect a sticking float or seat. Maybe when you remove the hose it breaks the stuck float loose. Try tapping on the carb instead of removing the hose to see if it makes the fuel flow.
Here is a link to the 3geez formum which a lot of good technical info on the older carbed Accords.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5350

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts