Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this will be a bad first impression, but I have a huge issue.

I have a 2007 Honda Accord EX V-6.

The transmission did start acting up a bit, and I honestly have no idea why, because I 've been doing a drain and refill on the tranny fluid every other oil change.

I used to go to the Honda stealership for the tranny fluid, but stopped because I figured I would try to do it on my own..

This is where I ran into a huge problem. Before draining the tranny fluid, I went to Autozone and bought TCI Auto Max Shift Synthetic Fluid. Yes, I understand it isn't Honda Fluid, but I thought it would be okay. Boy was I wrong....

Anyway, after successfully changing the fluid, I started it up and went for a drive. First of all, the tranny actually shifted worse than before, and when I shifted from Park to Reverse and Reverse to Drive, there was a delay, and a **clunk** noise. Now I feel like fainting because my "D" light has started blinking. HELP

Should I go buy Honda Genuine DW-1 Fluid and change it again, or is it too late?

Attachments

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
What was the transmission doing before you put that Autozone fluid in it? Find out what the error code is for the blinking D light. There may be a certain part you can change, along with a couple drain and fills, to correct the issue. I would not keep driving it, if the transmission is not working right. I would get enough fluid for at least two drain and fills, and probably change the filter, along with any parts the blinking D light might indicate. There is no guarantee this will solve your problem, but you have to try something, right? Good luck

·
Banned
13,101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
You shouldn't need any additives for the transmission. You effectively changed the friction modifier of the original fluid (whatever it might be) when you added the additive. Some people here will say otherwise because they supposedly added additive and now it shifts "better." I've never had a single issue since switching to Honda DW-1 years ago when it came out, and I'm at 170k miles. 3x3 every 15000 miles.

Do 3 or even 4 drain and refill, using Honda DW-1 fluid, in order to get all of that additive out.

Change the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches like Rick said.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was the transmission doing before you put that Autozone fluid in it? Find out what the error code is for the blinking D light. There may be a certain part you can change, along with a couple drain and fills, to correct the issue. I would not keep driving it, if the transmission is not working right. I would get enough fluid for at least two drain and fills, and probably change the filter, along with any parts the blinking D light might indicate. There is no guarantee this will solve your problem, but you have to try something, right? Good luck
Before I put autozone fluid in it, the transmission was as smooth as butter... So yeah. I really did screw things up. For now, I've stopped driving it, until I have time to properly drain and fill it with Honda fluid. I really did not think all this could have happened just because I didn't use Honda fluid. Lesson Learned!

My Accord only has 58k on it, bought it used with 34k on it 2 years ago.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Im a firm believer in OEM transmission fluids on newer cars

Do the drain and fills, check the code, clear it, drive again and see if any codes comes back

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
BLCKFLSH siad it best: What was your trans doing BEFORE the drain and fill with that "other" fluid?

Do as tr-d said and do a few drain and fills. 1st one changes 43% of your total fluid; 2nd one changes 68%, and 3rd changes 82% of your total fluid.

....and do the pressure switches while you are at it.

Sometimes cars "prefer" certain types or even brands of fluids over others. In my Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo, everytime I used Shell gasoline the engine would die at idle at a stop light.....for 8 years, everytime I used Shell this would happen. On that car forum, lots of guys running those Mitsubishi engines noticed the same thing. We could never figure it out, but we stopped running Shell. (My Accord loves Shell gas- go figure)

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**Update** I was able to swing by my Honda dealership earlier to pick up a case of DW-1 fluid, and I recently finished a single drain and refill. Problem is, I think I made the problem worse.... I will probably need to do another drain and fill, possibly a third, or, worst case scenario, and fourth drain and fill?

Like I said, I may have made the problem even worse, because I just tried to go for a short drive, and it's hesitating to shift into second gear ,which it wasn't doing that before.. on top of that, shifts are still pretty rough, and there is still a delay between Park and Reverse, as well as Reverse and drive..

I really hope this isn't the end of my transmission. I made one mistake and it may have ruined my transmission.:(

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Try to get that fluid flushed out as quickly as you can. Shift the transmission through all the gears, using the shift lever if that helps, including reverse, between each drain and fill, but don't go too far with the transmission acting like it is. Hopefully you can get the good fluid in, before too much damage is done. Good luck.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shit.Tried to back the Accord into my garage, and there was a LOOOOOOONG delay going from drive back to Reverse, followed by the clunk.

This is really starting to worry me. If I can get my Accord into the garage, I'm going to start my second drain and fill to see what happens.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sell this sucks. It's a new car and this happened.

Like the people said on here. Do 3 more drain and fill.

Also. Are you sure you are at the correct level?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Can you do it where the car is? I'm worried for you.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did another drain and fill. I didn't dare take it out on the street. Shifted through all the gears, then moved my car simply out of the garage, then reversed it back in. Probably will need to stop by the Honda dealership again for more fluid.

How many times should I do it? I've already done it twice, should I do it one last time? Or drain and fill it a 4th or 5th time? Should I drain and fill it 10 times? 20? 30? 90????????!! Anyway, really hope my tranny doesn't fail at only 58k

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Did another drain and fill. I didn't dare take it out on the street. Shifted through all the gears, then moved my car simply out of the garage, then reversed it back in.
And.......? Better? Worse? Same?

At the site "Bob Is The Oil Guy"- they pretty much trash that fluid you put in saying it is "bargain basement" and causes issues; i.e. some cars won't tolerate it, some will.

A few posters mentioned that the remedy is to get that stuff out asap. The type of friction modifiers and even the viscosity is NOT compatible with our Accords.

Take a deep breath, do a proper drain and fill, and report back.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
I think you need to try and get the transmission to go through as many gears as you can, to flush all the passages, solenoids, valves, etc. Until you can get the transmission to shift into at least most of the gears (1,2,3, at least), you have a serious problem. This might be the ONLY situation where I would be tempted to do a (the Honda god might strike me down for saying it, but) "Power Flush". That's hard to do though, if the car doesn't want to move.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
You shouldn't need any additives for the transmission. You effectively changed the friction modifier of the original fluid (whatever it might be) when you added the additive. Some people here will say otherwise because they supposedly added additive and now it shifts "better." I've never had a single issue since switching to Honda DW-1 years ago when it came out, and I'm at 170k miles. 3x3 every 15000 miles.

Do 3 or even 4 drain and refill, using Honda DW-1 fluid, in order to get all of that additive out.

Change the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches like Rick said.
This wasn't some additive. He changed the fluid dynamics completely by introducing a good amount of ATF that wasn't even made for Hondas. You are right though, he needs to perform multiple (I would do 4 in all) drain n fills. I would STOP driving the car till then. The car has 58K, I doubt there is an issue with the pressure switches. Car shifts fine before fluid, shifts badly after. OP, be sure you have the fluid at the right level. You should have been adding the same amount you drained. Check dipstick using proper method.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great. Just. Freaking. Great. I was able to do a third drain and fill last night since the car was in the garage, but I didn't take it out for a drive until this morning.

I was able to take it on to the local roads with speeds about 40mph. Transmission was quite jerky and indecisive. But the biggest problem happened when I was heading back home.

Took off from a stop light, under normal acceleration, but the car wouldn't shift past third gear.

Naturally, I pull the car over, shut it off, and check the tranny fluid level, which was where it's supposed to be. I go to start the car again and drive off, but this time I attempt shifting it manually. Same issue.

Going from "3" to "D", had no effect. It's like the car has permanently locked out 4th and 5th gear. I did get my Accord home cautiously, and now I have no idea what to do. I can do another drain and fill, but the future isn't looking so bright.

This is something I really don't understand. I get that I messed up by putting the wrong Tranny fluid in, but I didn't think it could possibly do this much damage in so little time!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts