Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I live in Accra, Ghana and I'm very accustomed to the metric measurements system. I am on the market for an American 2013 Honda Accord EX-L and would want to know if it is possible to change the HVAC readings, Gas Mileage, etc to read metric units instead of the US Customary system.

I read from another forum to replace the ECUs and Displays with Canadian variants. Could anyone please confirm if this works or suggest a cheaper alternative.
NB: It is far cheaper and easier to buy the car from the USA.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
How does it compare if you try to buy a used Accord from Canada? It might be worth it to buy one from Canada as compared to changing things to metric system(HVAC, speedometer, trip meter) might add to the overall cost of the purchase.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmm not positive..I just got my accord. I upgraded from a 2012 civic and in the civic you could change to metric units. I would assume you can in the accord as we'll. if no one else can confirm I'll try to remember to look this weekend.

I think replacing the ecu and all that is a bit much, but that's my opinion, better idea would be to buy Canadian model if that's what you want...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would also suggest acquiring a Canadian model.

EDIT: I just saw your note. Yeah, I'm not surprised that an American model would be cheaper. So anyway, the remainder of this advice is of dubious helpfulness and is probably only a summary of things you already know, so read on at your own risk.

As I recall, only the speedometer, odometer, trip meter, fuel economy gauge, exterior thermometer and climate control system typically use units that would differ between SI and Imperial.

Regarding temperature, the coolant temperature gauge does not have units. There isn't a transmission or oil temperature gauge, so no worries there. (In any case, I understand that the coolant temperature gauge is more or less a "dummy light" pretending to be an analogue gauge.)

Similarly, there is no oil pressure gauge, and the tire pressure monitoring system is an indirect system that cannot display individual tire pressures, so there's no need for a PSI - kPa conversion.

So, I guess what I'm getting at is that, compared to something like a GM truck, there aren't that many units used inside an Accord.

If the Canadian model proves difficult to acquire, the speedometer on an American model should at least have an inner ring for speed in kilometres per hour.

Assuming you can do the 1.6:1 kilometre to mile conversion for the odometer and remaining range, this leaves only the whole problem with MPG vs. l/100km. This might be a particular issue.

I will apologize as to my total ignorance as to whether Ghana has used the Imperial system recently (and as to what form it was in when last used), but you might get caught out by the fact that Imperial gallons are 20% larger than American gallons. Therefore divide MPG into 235 rather than the traditional 282 to get your proper l/100km fuel economy figure.

I haven't mentioned climate controls, but I tend to set them to HIGH/LOW and then vary fan speed manually, which would of course work the same regardless of system of measurement. The Fahrenheit/Celsius conversion is ugly because they're not zeroed at the same place. (Fahrenheit - 32) * 5/9 will get you a rough measure in degrees Celsius.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts