Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just attempted my first car modification when I connected the USA Spec PA15-Hon2 in my 05 Honda Accord EX (with XM). When I connected it to my ipod, the Ipod started to charge and had the word "Honda" on the Ipod screen but when I tried to push the XM/CD/Aux button, it didn't change the screen at all. I obviously missed something in the wiring sequence but it's getting power. Does anyone have an idea for how to correct it?

·
Reverse Gear
779 Posts
but when I tried to push the XM/CD/Aux button, it didn't change the screen at all. I obviously missed something in the wiring sequence but it's getting power. Does anyone have an idea for how to correct it?
what screen? ipod? car stereo?

Do some research on this site. I have posted in three or four forums on that same issue......it has to do with selecting a proper aux input, as you button actually has 3 or 4.

To do that once you first change to XM from CD, with in the first 10 seconds you have an option of selecting the right AUX input by pressin the "Tune" button a few times.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
I chose not to get the USAspec kit. All I can say is read the directions and make sure you are following the steps properly with the dip switches and wiring. You can't just plug it in and assume it will work. The USAspec requires extra steps.

What happened when you pressed CD/XM? Did it toggle through your CD and XM1 and XM2 bands? Did you hear your XM radio on both XM1 and XM2? The USAspec will hijack one of the XM bands for the iPod. So XM1 would be the iPod and XM2 would be XM (or the other way around).

Double check your work and follow their installation manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I just re-read my post and can see where the confusion comes in. When I push the XM/CD button on my radio, the screen in my car doesn't change at all - it just stays on radio. Usually it would go to XM1 and then XM2 and back to CD. I am looking through the instructions now and I am sure I wired it correctly - but I don't know that the DIP switches were set correctly. I will have to check when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
383 Posts
this might happen if you didn't plug in the little wire (orange i think) to the PA2... I think it's for controlling the XM module's power so it can hijack XM1 since the PA2 works via Y-splitter and if the XM module is on with the PA2 I would imagine the dash unit wouldn't understand what was going on

·
Reverse Gear
779 Posts
I have only dealt with Peripheral Electronics Ipod adapter.........

But it seems strange that it would not go to at least an XM mode. Didi you plug the XM radio wire back in the back of your ipod adapter plug? At least that is how mine was connected.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have only dealt with Peripheral Electronics Ipod adapter.........

But it seems strange that it would not go to at least an XM mode. Didi you plug the XM radio wire back in the back of your ipod adapter plug? At least that is how mine was connected.
I'm thinking the PA2 and the XM module are trying to talk at the same time... confusing the head unit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plugged the XM radio wire in the back of the adaptor plug and I plugged the orange wire into the PA15 unit. I may just have to re-check the connections to make sure they are tight. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Reverse Gear
779 Posts
But I do not understand how you can screw up the wiring.....mine only plugged in @ one spot on the back of my radio..........is 05 radio different?

·
Registered
383 Posts
But I do not understand how you can screw up the wiring.....mine only plugged in @ one spot on the back of my radio..........is 05 radio different?
PA15 you have to plug 4 points in:
Y-splitter is 3 (to radio unit, to PA15 and the XM module into the splitter)
and the splitter also has a little orange wire which you also connect to the PA15

·
Reverse Gear
779 Posts
WOW,

I how much was this Ipod integration? I assume it has full controls of the ipod.

Mine was 129.99 @ Circuit City....works like a charm....full controls, full display, etc.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You have to just read and re-read the instructions. It was confusing for me too but I got it right the first time. Took me 1 hr to do the whole thing from start to finish. I think you got the Switches wrong maybe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you are right, Aceman. From reading the instructions again, I think I need to leave DIP switches 3 and 4 on. Luckily, I should be able to get to that pretty easily. I paid about $130 for it, I think. Took me awhile to get up the courage to do the work myself but it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried putting the DIP switches in the correct place: 1 is on, 2 is off and 3 and 4 are on and it didn't work. I may have the orange XM cord plugged in incorrectly, as someone suggested but that required more investigative work than I was ready to perform this evening in a suit. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If the switches dont work start from step 1.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
You don't have the USASpec module. The wiring is different between all iPod modules. The USASpec requires additional wiring to hijack XM1. The Peripheral model does it differently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone found solution to this?

I had Best Buy tech install it for me and he could not get Xm radio to power up with it installed.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
The USASpec kit is pretty simple to install and have both XM and iPod work -- are you sure that XM isn't working? if you don't have an iPod connected both XM1 and XM2 should be sat, and with iPod connected you have to poke XM2 to get to the sat signals...

Otherwise, he didn't connect it right. There's an orange or blue wire, can't remember off the top of my head, and the bigger harness cable that connect to the USASpec unit itself, and then behind the stereo it couples inline with the XM plug and the Aux port.

·
Registered
119 Posts
USA SPEC PA15-HON2 Ipod Video (5th gen, 5g) problems

I recently got the USA SPEC PA15-HON2 ipod/iphone adapter installed. It works great with my iphone, but does not work with my ipod video unit. I've read online that it only supports (or confirmed to support) firmware 1.1.1. Of course the manufacturer and the dealers claim it works with ALL ipods and iphones.

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? I tried to look for the downgrade firmware online, but it's impossible to find, and Apple of course will not help you in this regard.

For those of you considering the USA Spec, you should make sure that it works with the firmware you have, and if it does, be careful about upgrading it later on as the adapter may no longer support it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts