Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, but couldn't find an answer, and any assistance is appreciated.

I recently bought a '13 LX CVT (non-premium radio/system, no iMID), and have my iPhone mounted on the shelf by the upper display, in a makeshift cradle, which isn't pretty, and I have to manually plug in the lightning cable.

I am in the process of constructing a cradle that will have a lightning connection built in. This way I can just put the phone in the cradle and it'll be connected to the audio system. I plan to hide the cable behind the dash, and have a USB input back there too.

There are two options, as I see it, to plug in the cable behind the dash:
1. Plug the cable directly into the back of the radio, which leads to the question... Is there a USB input in the back of the stock radio? Or, is there some proprietary connection, that the existing port connects to?
2. Get a USB extender, with two inputs. Hide one behind the dash, and plug my cable into that. The other would be affixed (somehow) to the same spot the input already is located (behind the tiny door).

Although I tried to pull the radio out to see what was back there, I wasn't able to at the time I had the console out (those bottom bolts are hard to get to).

Once I get it done, if interested, I'll post pics of the final product.

Thanks for any help.

b

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you check the "Hacking the i-Mid" thread here, I think there are some pictures of the back of the radio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

I went through that thread and found a picture, and detailed instructions for radio removal. Unfortunately though, those bolts are still hard to get to.

Fortunately (I guess), I won't have try to remove those bolts, because it doesn't look like there is a USB port. I'm guessing it's part of a harness or other proprietary port.

I plan on getting this 16' cable from Monoprice (1 male to 2 female USB extension), and hiding the extra 15' of cable that I won't need.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030312&p_id=8489&seq=1&format=2

Not sure if having two inputs will be an issue. If it is, then I either loose the available port, or I put it somewhere accessible so I can plug in another device, if I ever need to.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

b

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'd keep looking - a 16' cable is a lot. USB is supposed to be 6' or less. I know it's an active extension cable that you linked. But you don't really need 16' do you? It might work properly, might not. I've been in the computer business for a long time. Cables that are too long is a "long-running" problem :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't realize there was a limit on USB cable lengths. Unfortunately, Monoprice is the only extension cable I found that has 1 male to 2 female, and that's the shortest cable they make.

I'll start with simply hiding the connection behind the dash, and not having an accessible USB port.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The USB specification limits the length of a cable between USB 2.0 devices to 5 meters (or about 16 feet).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts