Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Whichever one was better maintained... (gasp!) I4 is made for people who wants to just get in the car and drive. It is designed to require minimal maintenance. V6 is for the folks who wants more from a car, and won't mind putting the extra time and money in its maintenance. If the V6 is maintained the way it is supposed to, then no worries. But if the V6 is neglected, it is a bigger liability than the I4. If you don't know the history of the car, the risk is greater. This is for cars with 100K+ miles on them. You mentioned dealers. If you get a CPO with low miles (30K or less), then you get powertrain warranty up to 100K miles. Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The percentage of us that own both a V6 and I4 9th gen is very small. We all try to help the op in our own way. Sure he can search all day here, nothing beats current info.

nash123,
Best to you in your search. We all try to help when we can, despite the naysayers. You have lots of experience with the V6, I hope you get the reliability info you seek on the 9th gen I4.
Cheers!

·
HK Moderator
13,897 Posts
The percentage of us that own both a V6 and I4 9th gen is very small. We all try to help the op in our own way. Sure he can search all day here, nothing beats current info.

nash123,
Best to you in your search. We all try to help when we can, despite the naysayers. You have lots of experience with the V6, I hope you get the reliability info you seek on the 9th gen I4.
Cheers!
Naysayers??

The 9th Gen has been out since fall of 2012- that is 7.5 years. Threads have been created outlining the problems inherent to each engine configuration. Plenty of current info that is categorized. Problems are identified, solutions are presented.

That is helpful. Posting "I have an I4 (V6) and love/hate it." does not really help much. So yes, something does beat "current info". It is "organized" info from hundreds if not thousands of members who have taken time to outline an issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Whichever one was better maintained... (gasp!) I4 is made for people who wants to just get in the car and drive. It is designed to require minimal maintenance. V6 is for the folks who wants more from a car, and won't mind putting the extra time and money in its maintenance. If the V6 is maintained the way it is supposed to, then no worries. But if the V6 is neglected, it is a bigger liability than the I4. If you don't know the history of the car, the risk is greater. This is for cars with 100K+ miles on them. You mentioned dealers. If you get a CPO with low miles (30K or less), then you get powertrain warranty up to 100K miles. Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Thank you, this is the part that is strange to me: we bought the car second hand at 70k miles, but on its carfax I could see the owner took care of all of the maintenance at a Honda dealership, and at the correct mileage. Including transmission fluid changes etc. Yet I have a whiny transmission, and I was hoping that the engine will last, until I started having the noises from the engine too. I soon will have it looked at to see if it is something serious (our mechanic is an older guy who is not coming to the shop everyday due to Coronavirus). I just love this car and want to drive it forever, but I also do not want to sink a lot of money in it if I get any indication that it will cost a lot to fix things. But thank you for all the feedback.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you want the V6, get the V6. Honda puts this engine in their SUV's ( except CRV) and the Odyssey. There are enough of these engines on the road with 100-200K+ miles. Only drawback is the timing belt change cost, but you get a water pump with that- so that's good for another 100K. Otherwise, like any engine it is as good as the owner keeps it. I have 86K on this one and got 130K trouble free out of my previous V6 before I traded it. I also get 33 MPG HWY, well worth the power vs. the I4 in my opinion. I'm more scared of the the new turbo I4s than any other Honda engine, so I'll hold on to this Accord longer than normal.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm just curious how you owned 3 different 9th gen V6 in a span of just a few years. If you change 1 every 2 years, of course it's "reliable".
Nearly 200,000 miles across three vehicles, I’d say it‘s reliable.

2013 EX-L sedan V6 to 95,000 miles - traded for a 2015 Pilot
2015 EX-L Coupe V6 / 6AT to 64,000 miles - traded for 2017 EX-L 6/6 Coupe
2017 EX-L Coupe - 32,000 and counting

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know this is off topic... But was it worth going from the v6 AT coupe to the 6-6?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
In the 7th gen the time difference is a full second in the quarter mile. (Auto vs manual 6-speed) Less of a gap in the 8th gen and I think evenly matched in the 9th. Not 💯 on that though.

As for worth it? Depends how much you like rowing gears.... I personally love it. I live in the city now too compared to country living.

I do not have long bumper to bumper highway drive like some; that would be my deal breaker. I also keep one auto in my fleet 😉

·
Super Moderator
6,295 Posts
320K miles on my 7th gen V6, one car, it is RELIABLE. There is a guy there right now with a 2003 V6 with 600K miles on it.

sandevino above, you are just getting a new car every 2 years. 200k miles "across" 3 cars? That's under 100k miles each car, massive money loss trading it in all day long.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Yet I have a whiny transmission, and I was hoping that the engine will last, until I started having the noises from the engine too. I soon will have it looked at to see if it is something serious (our mechanic is an older guy who is not coming to the shop everyday due to Coronavirus). I just love this car and want to drive it forever, but I also do not want to sink a lot of money in it if I get any indication that it will cost a lot to fix things. But thank you for all the feedback.
I saw your video...strange noise indeed...
You probably know that whatever is going on with your engine, it clearly is NOT normal, especially for a Honda V6. Hopefully they find the issue.
That's truly an anomaly, though. I'd bet most Hondas, whether they're a four or 6 cylinder, will never have the issues you're having.

·
Registered
682 Posts
sandevino above, you are just getting a new car every 2 years. 200k miles "across" 3 cars? That's under 100k miles each car, massive money loss trading it in all day long.
Really? Not to go too far down this road, I’ve lost maybe $5k. If I die today, I’ve enjoyed every minute.

As for the 6-6MT being worth it, yes, for me. I wanted a Still Night Pearl 6-6 coupe and couldn’t find one ANYWHERE. As soon as I found one, I bought it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I saw your video...strange noise indeed...
You probably know that whatever is going on with your engine, it clearly is NOT normal, especially for a Honda V6. Hopefully they find the issue.
That's truly an anomaly, though. I'd bet most Hondas, whether they're a four or 6 cylinder, will never have the issues you're having.
Thanks, and it sounds like I am not the only guy with the same issue!!! One guy posted a video on my other thread with the exact same noise....

·
Registered
2014 EX-L V6 Obsidian Blue Pearl/Grey leather
2 Posts
I'm probably one of the few who have owned both a 4 cylinder Gen 9 and a V6 Gen 9.

Currently, I own a 2014 EX-L sedan with the V6 that I bought in December 2018 with 58K miles. Since owning it, I have mostly replaced normal wear items such as, oil, filters, and brakes. However, I did need to replace the starter soon after buying, and I have also had to replace the rearview camera as it stopped working completely. My mileage is right around 79K now so will probably need to do the timing belt in around a year.

I previously owned a 2014 EX sedan with the 6 speed manual that I purchased new in November 2014. It was totaled in November 2018 (literally the exact day that I paid it off) when it had around 65K miles. During the time that i owned it, I only replaced normal wear items. However, in hindsight, I believe that the started was about to go out on it, and i would have needed to replace it if I had kept it.

My current EX-L is the first automatic car that I've owned since I started driving in the 70s. If there was a 6-6 sedan, that is what I would have purchased. I ended up with this car as I was unable to find a used 6 speed in my area when I received my insurance payment and needed a car. If I had decided to finance another car, I would have purchased a Gen 10 Sport 2.0 with the manual. I drove it and loved it.

Here's my take on some of the differences and similarities between the 2.

Differences:
V6 has way more power. The 4 wasn't bad with the manual, but the V6 has excellent power.
V6 uses a lot more fuel in city driving than the 4. Low 20s indicated in the V6 versus mid to high 20s in the 4.
V6 seems to ride better over rough roads than the 4. I'm guessing it's because of the weight difference.
4 cylinder handled better in corners. Once again, i think it is the weight issue.
V6 split screen is more confusing than the screen in the 4
XM radio is nice in V6

Similarities:
Highway fuel economy is pretty similar. The v6 is turning slower at faster highway speeds.so on long trips, mileage is in the mid 30s.
Same easy to follow controls in both cars (other than the split screen).
Both models have the same crappy trunk struts and both have whacked me in the head.

If I think of any more, I'll add to my list.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Similarities:
Highway fuel economy is pretty similar. The v6 is turning slower at faster highway speeds.so on long trips, mileage is in the mid 30s.
Do you get mid 30's with the 4cyl? I can get upper 30's with mine, in fact for the first couple years the 4 cyl returned 40-44 on the highway

·
Registered
2014 EX-L V6 Obsidian Blue Pearl/Grey leather
2 Posts
Do you get mid 30's with the 4cyl? I can get upper 30's with mine, in fact for the first couple years the 4 cyl returned 40-44 on the highway
The 6 speed 4 cyl was turning higher rpms. Most of my long distance highway miles were at speeds between 70-80 mph. Sometimes could get high 30s, but never returned in the 40s on a full tank.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts