Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the other day I went to a BMW dealership to look at a car, I considered the Accord as a possible trade-in and thought, why the heck not? Lets get a quote.
$5500 is what they offered me. :lmao::lmao:

Seriously? Should change their name to the stealership.
Anyways, my main question is this... why does KBB, MSN Autos, numerous other car appraisal sites and dealerships (trade-in wise) value our cars soooo low?
For example, MSN says to expect to pay between $7K and $10K, and KBB values it at around $7-8K.

I went to Cars.com and within a 500 mile radius there were over 40 Accords in my year (2006) with an asking price of $10K all the way up to $15K, while the higher mileage 100k miles + were in the $10K and less range. Not a single Accord for under $9,000.

This is confusing me because I want to put my car up for sale, but I don't want to ask too high and get no responses, too low and not make its full potential. Now, I know that "asking price," and "sale price," are two completely different things, as well as market value.

Car is a 2006 VP Sedan, i4 MT with 78K miles. Ideas?

·
Roll Tide!
6,793 Posts
You are on the right track. Your local market is a better indicator on what your car is worth either retail or private party sale. If you are in a hurry to off-load it, set the price towards the bottom of the scale, and opposite if you are not in a hurry. A clean photo of it in front of a sweet house will go much farther than a crappy photo of it front of 7-11 as you probably know. Don't list anything but the bare necessities in your ad....you want phone calls.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Doesn't hurt to check the advanced search function in eBay also. Filter by "sold" or completed listings to see what your model has actually sold for. Like jimijam said, it's worth whatever the market will bear...

Good luck!

·
Honda only...
304 Posts
Just to give you a idea about trade in at dealerships ,my 2007 EX-L I4 with 62k.
One sales man offered 7500 on the high side he said ,I finally trade it in for 9500.
I really was looking for 10-10.5 and would of probably sold it for that price privately.
But I did save on the tax on the purchased car.(2010 CR-V EX for the wife)
My car didn't last two weeks at the dealership ,they sold it for 11979.
So if not in a rush to sell wait for the right buyer to come along or get the best trade value and save some tax on the purchase car.

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'll be putting it on the market around the end of this month so I can have some perspective buyers take a look at it. Then make the sale at the beginning of next month if theres a buyer and they are willing to wait a little bit.

Most of the cars on ebay that were sold, sold for about 7-11k but reserve was not met lol.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Russian: You have a manual transmission, so right there you were just crossed off of the list of 93% of American buyers....

So what to do?

Create your market like Sony did with the Walkman and Apple did with the iPod.

We brought this up a few weeks ago when you first mentioned you were going to sell. You own the best selling automobile, the most fuel efficient medium-sized sedan, the most bullet proof transmission, and the highest resale and reliable car in America.

As I recall, you are in New York? Or was it Philly? Lots of immigrants there. You know who worships Honda reliability? New Immigrants. They sell their Accords and buy BMWs to show their fellow immigrants that they "made it"- after a few years.

Tell a story....the best message is highlighted by a story.....your message is that you have the most reliable and fuel efficient sedan in America- and it is for sale. What is the story? You needed a reliable car for school....or you needed fuel efficiency because you had twins and had to save money, or whatever....

With due respect to jimijam (he is right on about the local market) you need to put MORE info in your ad because you have a manual trans. You are not trying to get everyone to call you- you want every manual transmission seeker to call you.

Hondas sell at a premium. Don't believe me? Ever price out one-year old Accords? You can save maybe $1,200- that's it. Is someone considering a Sonata and your Accord? What do you think that Sonata will be worth in three years? Hondas rule.

When many of my immigrant cousins came to the USA- they bought Civics with manual transmissions. I think we owned every one of them withing 200 miles of Chicago, lol.

Screw those auto websites....the price is the price. And don't you dare lower your price to be the bottom guy. Raise your price! Set it apart. When a buyer wants- really wants a manual- he will buy your car. Your car is NOT a commodity- it is rare manual trans. Sell accordingly.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Just to give you a idea about trade in at dealerships ,my 2007 EX-L I4 with 62k.
One sales man offered 7500 on the high side he said ,I finally trade it in for 9500.
I really was looking for 10-10.5 and would of probably sold it for that price privately.
But I did save on the tax on the purchased car.(2010 CR-V EX for the wife)
My car didn't last two weeks at the dealership ,they sold it for 11979.
So if not in a rush to sell wait for the right buyer to come along or get the best trade value and save some tax on the purchase car.
Good story but WHEN did you sell it? Last week? Or in 2010?

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Screw those auto websites....the price is the price. And don't you dare lower your price to be the bottom guy. Raise your price! Set it apart. When a buyer wants- really wants a manual- he will buy your car. Your car is NOT a commodity- it is rare manual trans. Sell accordingly.
This. I seeked my 2004 I4-MT out in the Triangle area of NC and paid $1k more for it than a comparable I4-AT. I would have bought an auto Camry over an auto Accord from 02-08 purely because of the 3rd gear grenading issue.

·
Roll Tide!
6,793 Posts
With due respect to jimijam (he is right on about the local market) you need to put MORE info in your ad because you have a manual trans. You are not trying to get everyone to call you- you want every manual transmission seeker to call you.
In "bare necessities", this is something I would include.

·
Roll Tide!
6,793 Posts
Unless the owner of your bimmer stealership owns a Honda lot, (Tonkin?) they aren't going to put your Honda on their lot. They are going to sell it at auction where it will go for much less than low-trade. Bimmer dude may make $1K off your car which isn't that unreasonable. If you were trading in at Honda that didn't have a lot of used cars on their lot, you could work a much better deal.

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would take it to a Honda dealership (right across the street) but I still have to paint black my engine covers and remove the after market muffler.

Then shes %100 stock.

I actually live in Tigard on Bull Mountain if you've ever heard of it. Aside from Lake Oswego it's one of the richest neighborhoods.

I wouldn't dare venture into Portland either, nor Gresham... what a crap hole they are.

·
Honda only...
304 Posts
Good story but WHEN did you sell it? Last week? Or in 2010?
Sold it two months ago,I did not get the price I wanted but over all I was ok with the trade.I saved about $700 on tax on my new purchase .
I think he is expecting too Much with a VP trim and manual.

·
Missing my ED7
35 Posts
As I recall, you are in New York? Or was it Philly? Lots of immigrants there. You know who worships Honda reliability? New Immigrants. They sell their Accords and buy BMWs to show their fellow immigrants that they "made it"- after a few years.

When many of my immigrant cousins came to the USA- they bought Civics with manual transmissions. I think we owned every one of them withing 200 miles of Chicago, lol.

When a buyer wants- really wants a manual- he will buy your car. Your car is NOT a commodity- it is rare manual trans. Sell accordingly.
:dunno:
At least part of this is true.
I bought my Accord off a lot. It was priced well below market value, and it still sat there for nearly two months. According to the salesman "no one" wanted a manual. (Except Immigrant like me not very good to drive automatic transmission so like better stick shifter like in old country, but so embarrassed from rich Amerikan cousins who drives the nice Mercedes when I have to drive him to repair shop)

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
7% of cars here in the USA have manual transmissions. In Europe, Asia, Africa it is about 90%. Every manual transmissioned car I ever sold was to a "foreign-born" American.

People go with what they know....

By the way, about 13% of the United States of America's people are foreign born.

So yes, the Accord will sell, but it may take more time. Just don't discount the price. As mentioned above, some will seek out and pay more to row the gears themselves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts