Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my vehicle as a Certified Used Pre-Owned, and would presently be under the extended coverage period. I have two window stickers that state this (a sales spec sheet and a Buyer's Guide), along with the car's VIN, model, and mileage at purchase. There's no language in my sales contract that mentions the car's certified status. The salesman showed me the 150-point inspection sheet, but didn't give it to me.

Honda of America stated that the dealership where I purchased never faxed in any paperwork for the Certified warranty, and that they should have provided me with the checklist. The sales guy I'd worked with had tried to use the Certified status as a bargaining chip ("it costs more money because it's got a warranty!). I told him that I wasn't going to buy an extended warranty. Honda of America, the Sales mgr. at the dealer, and the service manager at another dealer all stated clearly that Certified Used status and purchase of an additional warranty are two separate entities. I didn't have the greatest purchase experience, and hoping to avoid a runaround in having this resolved.

Anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
hmm not sure if its the same in your case, but i got a card in the mail couple weeks after purchasing mine stating that the car is a CPO and has dates to when the warranty expires.

when we bought the car, we decided not to get the extended warranty as well, the two salespeople kept pushing us to get it and after telling them we dont want it several times, they literally laughed. :dunno:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm not sure if its the same in your case, but i got a card in the mail couple weeks after purchasing mine stating that the car is a CPO and has dates to when the warranty expires.

when we bought the car, we decided not to get the extended warranty as well, the two salespeople kept pushing us to get it and after telling them we dont want it several times, they literally laughed. :dunno:
I didn't receive anything. I played hardball when the sales guy and finance guy tried to pull a fast one on me, so call me paranoid but I'm wondering if they "forgot" to send in my Certified paperwork. It should have been done at the time of purchase, and I wasn't in talks with management until at least two weeks after to resolve a contract issue.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
How many miles would the certified used take it to? If not many then I would just drive it and hope for the best and hopefully you will (would) not need it. If something of major expense goes during the warrenty (or non warrenty) then I would take it back to that dealer and negotiate a far deal on the work needed.

It is truely sad that dealers continue to operate like this.

·
07 Sdn
395 Posts
I got a card in the mail too that states how long my warranty is. I too declined the extended warranty several times lol :D
Sorry to hear about your experience :( This sounds like a job for a lawyer.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
To me, 'Certified Used' would not include any warranty of any kind, unless the car was still within the original warranty period. 'Certified Used' is really a sort of joke. It means they went over the car and found nothing visually wrong.

·
6,322 Posts
The OP may have better leverage trying to get the warranty enforced now with no problems than waiting for something major to happen. Plus the OP paid for the certified warranty. Peace of mind is a nice thing. Another plus is if the car is sold prior to the warranty expiring its a nice selling point.

Careful how you phrase the question to the dealer. Don't ask.."is my car certified?" State instead.."hey your dealer never sent in my paperwork for the Honda Certified Warranty and I want to know when this will be taken care of?"

Remember its more money in the dealers pocket if they don't certify it.

Ace in the hole is calling local tv investigative reporters. This would make a nice tv story. Also filing a complaint with the bbb.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased the car within the original warranty period, so Certified tacks on 1 yr./12k mi to that warranty period, plus extends the powertrain warranty to 7yr./100k. Anyone I've spoken to has agreed that the Certified is the condition of the vehicle at sale, not an additional item that I would have had to pay more money for. There is a contract that can be purchased separately, but these are two different things. And I've never asked "if" the car is certified -- that's how it was advertised, that's what these window stickers state along with the VIN, so I want to know why it's not certified in the dealer's records. Evidently I should have been given the 150-point checklist at the time of purchase, and it's something that I never received.

Yes, if the dealer doesn't resolve this, I'll be looking into the next step.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The extended warranty you want is HondaCare. I bought our Accord used and had to transfer the contract from the previous owner. The dealer was NOT helpful at all, and I had to push hard to get them to do their part. Of course, I bought the car in a private transaction so they made nothing on the deal, but they are still required to sign the paperwork before it goes to HondaCare. In my case, I had to ride them (it's the F&I guy who does the paperwork) to the point of going into his office, taking off my jacket, and sitting in a chair until he understood that I was not going to leave until the transaction was done. I spent almost an hour sitting there while he phoned and faxed people at HondaCare until it was done. I think the only reason he put up with me is because we have another Honda we bought there new and we've always had our Honda's serviced there, and I had the Accord inspected there before I bought it so the service manager pushed him a little in my case.

It's a good deal for Honda and their dealers to sell extended warranties and then sort of let them fade away by not submitting paperwork. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts