Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any benefit to using a DA polisher to apply wax to a car - beyond the convenience aspect? Does it give you more shine? Better protection? Or is it if you have a DA you may as well use it?

Secondly - does it make sense to use it for liquid (wipe on/wipe off) type wax?

Thanks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Personally I use the DA just for paint correction. polishing, compounding etc. For wax i do it by hand.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Agree with others here. Liquid wax like Coll 845 I use GG6 with red LC CCS pad on speed 3 to apply. I will do the tighter areas and around crevices and trim by hand though. Buff off by hand. For a good quality wax like BF Midnight Sun, I apply by hand...makes more sense with that one anyway, being wipe on wipe off (no hazing).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Bumpp

Can someone recommend a DA polisher for a first time user? I would like to apply some wax on my car but I've never done it before. I've been watching plenty of youtube videos and I'm ready to try it out. I'm looking to get one pad for applying wax and another pad for applying a swirl remover.

·
Reflections Auto Detail
1,085 Posts
Bumpp

Can someone recommend a DA polisher for a first time user? I would like to apply some wax on my car but I've never done it before. I've been watching plenty of youtube videos and I'm ready to try it out. I'm looking to get one pad for applying wax and another pad for applying a swirl remover.
For a newbie, I wholeheartedly recommend the Harbor Freight DA polisher. In addition to my Porter-Cable and my Griots, I have two of them. I use them mostly when I'm training someone but they're a solid workhorse for the price. They retail here in AZ for $54.99 and with a 20% off coupon, they're only $43.00! A lot, lot less then one of the pro-line tools! It's a powerful and capable tool that won't break the bank and allow you to still have some $$ left over to buy some of the other things you must buy before you ever turn it on for the first time.
Being a HF branded tool, it's not without its flaws However, the leg work has already been done for you and the necessary mods have been perfected so all you have to do is follow the advice of those who have gone before you and you'll have a very sweet, safe and stable tool that will keep up with most of the much, much more expensive DA's.
Pick one of the detailer sites and do a search for that tool. You'll find threads with posts numbering into the hundreds discussing the tool and all of the required mods to bring it into spec. For instance, you need to replace the backing plate because HF doesn't adhere to the same measuring conventions the rest of us do and their 6" backing plate will destroy their own pads because of a fit issue as a result of the incorrect measurement - it's WELL documented as is which backing plate to purchase and which pads you should buy and how many and, and,...
Additionally, you'll need to pull the head off the unit and replace the grease with a synthetic, high temp product. this does wonders to quiet it down as well as reduce the vibration exponentially. Other mods are to spin the body of the unit 90° tio change the placement of the switch to the top rather than the side. Another mod is to replace the short, stiff cord with a 20-25' rubber sheathed cord.
The two I have are used almost daily by noobs as well as myself and none of us are gentle with them. They have had their share of drops and have suffered no ill effects. Neither has ever overheated or stopped randomly.
Do your homework and research it. God knows there is enough discussion about it out there. It's not the best DA on the market but you certainly can't go wrong buying one - especially if you're buying it for personal use and not starting a detailing business!

Reactions: beardohio

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'll second getting the Harbor Freight DA polisher. And don't feel like you HAVE to do the mods suggested above -- I'm sure they're awesome -- but it will also work fine right out of the box. I've used it about a half dozen times and it's great. I didn't want to spend hundreds on the more expensive pro DA and this Harbor Freight one is just fine.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thank you everyone for the response. The Harbor Freight was the one that I came across as wallet friendly but wasn't sure of the quality build of it. I'll be doing some more reading on them on autogeek's forums as well as other detailing forums. How much does the Harbor Freight weigh? I was also looking at the Porter Cable 7424 bundle that autogeek has listed for $150 but as a beginner I'm not sure if I need something like that. Ideally I'll be waxing my car every 4-5 months so I won't be using it much at all.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I own a flex 3401 and 3403, plus a Rupes 15. I wax by hand. Using a machine to apply wax uses more wax and actually takes longer. Plus, Collinite 915 is basically wipe on, wife off. No benefit to a machine. Same thing with Fuzion.

If you're production detailing multiple cars with liquid paint sealants that need to sit on the paint for 30 minutes, it makes sense. Otherwise, no.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thank you everyone for the response. The Harbor Freight was the one that I came across as wallet friendly but wasn't sure of the quality build of it. I'll be doing some more reading on them on autogeek's forums as well as other detailing forums. How much does the Harbor Freight weigh? I was also looking at the Porter Cable 7424 bundle that autogeek has listed for $150 but as a beginner I'm not sure if I need something like that. Ideally I'll be waxing my car every 4-5 months so I won't be using it much at all.
I highly recommend the Griots 6 inch. You don't need the HD version, just get a proper extension cord. It may seem pricey, but the lifetime warranty is gold. I've already had to use it on mine and I had a new one 2 weeks from the date I shipped it back. buy one of the kits and ask to swap the 6.5" pads for 5.5" pads. Also purchase a 5" and 3.5" backing plate. A 3" backing plate wouldn't hurt either.

Based on my forum readings from people who have had all different brands, Griots is a better machine than the Harbor Freight and Porter Cable.

Reactions: beardohio

·
Registered
612 Posts
I highly recommend the Griots 6 inch. You don't need the HD version, just get a proper extension cord. It may seem pricey, but the lifetime warranty is gold. I've already had to use it on mine and I had a new one 2 weeks from the date I shipped it back. buy one of the kits and ask to swap the 6.5" pads for 5.5" pads. Also purchase a 5" and 3.5" backing plate. A 3" backing plate wouldn't hurt either.

Based on my forum readings from people who have had all different brands, Griots is a better machine than the Harbor Freight and Porter Cable.
Are you referring to this kit?

https://www.detailersdomain.com/products/griots-garage-6-inch-random-orbital-polisher-base-kit

Why would I need a 5", 3.5", and 3" backing plate? I have no idea why which is why I'm asking.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Are you referring to this kit?

https://www.detailersdomain.com/products/griots-garage-6-inch-random-orbital-polisher-base-kit

Why would I need a 5", 3.5", and 3" backing plate? I have no idea why which is why I'm asking.
Yes that's a good griots kit.

You'll want different sized backing plates for different sized pads. Larger pads allow you to cover more area faster, but won't get into the tight spots. Also, if you're spot correcting swirls and scratches, using an appropriately sized pad for the area you're trying to correct reduces wear on paint that you're not trying to polish unnecessarily.

Pads become an addiction. I bought 12 pads when I bought my 3401 and now have at least 30. Granted, I'm trying to pick up some paid details so I want to be prepared for jobs when they come.

Just beware... It's a rabbit hole, detailing...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes that's a good griots kit.

You'll want different sized backing plates for different sized pads. Larger pads allow you to cover more area faster, but won't get into the tight spots. Also, if you're spot correcting swirls and scratches, using an appropriately sized pad for the area you're trying to correct reduces wear on paint that you're not trying to polish unnecessarily.

Pads become an addiction. I bought 12 pads when I bought my 3401 and now have at least 30. Granted, I'm trying to pick up some paid details so I want to be prepared for jobs when they come.

Just beware... It's a rabbit hole, detailing...
That makes sense for when working around door handles and near the license plate. I've been watching youtube video's on which pads to use and it seems like orange is widely used to remove light swirl marks, yellow for more heavy swirl marks and black to apply wax/sealant. is that across the board for every manufacture?

Ever since I got this car I've been looking into different car care products, I've spent over $200 on products so far and I have a feeling it's only going to increase haha

·
Registered
801 Posts
That makes sense for when working around door handles and near the license plate. I've been watching youtube video's on which pads to use and it seems like orange is widely used to remove light swirl marks, yellow for more heavy swirl marks and black to apply wax/sealant. is that across the board for every manufacture?

Ever since I got this car I've been looking into different car care products, I've spent over $200 on products so far and I have a feeling it's only going to increase haha
Sounds about right on the color, though it can vary a bit by pad manufacturer and type of pad. It's largely preferential but I use mostly lake country pads. That said, there are different type pads that tend to be better suited for different types of machines: curved edge pads for rotaries, low profile pads for long throw machines(like the Rupes or Boss), etc. Not to say certain pads just flat out won't work, but it's important to keep in mind to match the pad to the machine, polish, and the paint. Thusly why I have so many pads at this point. Polishing is like my zen time, though. Love it!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sounds about right on the color, though it can vary a bit by pad manufacturer and type of pad. It's largely preferential but I use mostly lake country pads. That said, there are different type pads that tend to be better suited for different types of machines: curved edge pads for rotaries, low profile pads for long throw machines(like the Rupes or Boss), etc. Not to say certain pads just flat out won't work, but it's important to keep in mind to match the pad to the machine, polish, and the paint. Thusly why I have so many pads at this point. Polishing is like my zen time, though. Love it!
Looks like I've got some more reading to do before pulling the trigger. Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts