Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookiong at '07 Accord EXL V4 and V6. The V4 has 29Kmi, the V6 has 37Kmi. both would be private sales, V6 is $900 less needs new tires - both are priced just below market value. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

·
R.Palace
236 Posts
Lookiong at '07 Accord EXL V4 and V6. The V4 has 29Kmi, the V6 has 37Kmi. both would be private sales, V6 is $900 less needs new tires - both are priced just below market value. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
It's i4, not V4 :thmsup:

The V6 puts out more power but uses up more gas. The i4 has less mileage which is also a good thing and perhaps doesn't require new tires like you say for the V6. New (good) tires could run you about $400 so the V6 is $900 less but a chunk of that is tire spending.

The i4 is not a bad choice if you want good MPG and less mileage. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quality of Ride

Thanks very helpful! if there's no big difference in handling, probably go with the i4 save on gas. Test drove 2 i4, one handled badly the other was great.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Personally, I passed on the V6 and went with the I4 both on the current car, and my 05 that I had before. I was mainly looking for the increased mileage and for me it was less cost. The prices are pretty close when you consider as posted above that you are gonna shell out between $400 and $500 for new tires. I guess it will really come down to if you want the extra pep and slightly higher miles, or less miles and a little less oomph when you hit the gas.

I will note, although not as peppy, the I4 will still go plenty fast enough to get you a speeding ticket.

·
6,322 Posts
Plus the timing belt needs to be replaced on the V6 at 120k/7yrs with an average cost of $1200.

Most of all the transmission problems are with the V6. Pull the dipstick for the trans and make sure the fluid is pink to med. red and NOT brown or black. :paranoid: The d. is located down and to the right of the oil d. and is slightly smaller.

Also ask about service records. Hopefully the car has not been to any quicky lube places. Usually dealers, quality indy shops or diy's are your best bet.

·
Shift_ STILL Not A Honda
318 Posts
Plus the timing belt needs to be replaced on the V6 at 120k/7yrs with an average cost of $1200.

Most of all the transmission problems are with the V6. Pull the dipstick for the trans and make sure the fluid is pink to med. red and NOT brown or black. :paranoid: The d. is located down and to the right of the oil d. and is slightly smaller.

Also ask about service records. Hopefully the car has not been to any quicky lube places. Usually dealers, quality indy shops or diy's are your best bet.
Who da heck does your servicing?? The timing belt change is included in the price of the 120k service at my dealer and that service only runs about 650!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Who da heck does your servicing?? The timing belt change is included in the price of the 120k service at my dealer and that service only runs about 650!
The V-6: (1) does need a T-belt at 105k. (2) Has a little less mpg potential than the four. (3) Can turn the 1/4 mile in about 14.5; leaving the 4 far astern.

I wish I could get my timing belt replaced for less than $1,000. At any rate, both engines are first class; the four is more fuel efficient and has a timing chain. The six is less fuel efficient, faster than dogshit and needs $1,000 - $2,000 worth of T-belt, water pump, valve adjust, serpentine belt et al at 105,000 miles............................

It's your choice. I went with the six; at 105k, i need to fork up some $$$.

cheers, ez................

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
I used to have an I4 and finally upgraded to the V6, I will never go back! I just love the extra power, and honestly the mileage isn't that bad. So far my best on the highway is 29 mpg (with K&N CAI and a 2 in. drop.) Have only had it for a year, so not sure about the tires wearing more yet, but they are gonna any because I am a "spirited" driver. haha. So me bein into power my vote is for the V6, but the I4s are no slouches, so its your pref that really matters, either way both the same good lookin car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
testing the V6 today

thanks for all your input. I love the I4, but checkign out the V6 today, will make my choice by end of week.

·
06 Acura TL
97 Posts
I used to have an I4 and finally upgraded to the V6, I will never go back! I just love the extra power, and honestly the mileage isn't that bad. So far my best on the highway is 29 mpg (with K&N CAI and a 2 in. drop.) Have only had it for a year, so not sure about the tires wearing more yet, but they are gonna any because I am a "spirited" driver. haha. So me bein into power my vote is for the V6, but the I4s are no slouches, so its your pref that really matters, either way both the same good lookin car.

I agree with you on that on V6! I used have an 06 Accord 2.4 4cyl 5AT. When I had upgraded to an 06 TL few weeks ago it was definitely worth it. Gas mileage is not that bad on the V6's on hwy or even the city. Here's a picture I took while driving on the interstate cruising around 79-80 mph. Outside temps were in the 90's with heat index in the 110+

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
having owned honda's since 82 (both 4 cyl and V6's) the mileage difference is negligable. If you want decent power in a car of this weight, get the V6. Otherwise, the 4 cyl. will feel like it has to struggle up hills.

Have both cars checked out by a certified honda mechanic. 100K tune-up cost $450-$800 max wherever you are and it will include the timing belt change too. I paid $450 parts and labor from a certified honda mechanic.

If it were my choice, long term use and total cost of ownership will be slightly higher on the V6 depending on aftermarket parts you use. Otherwise, long term cost is the same.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would get the V6 without question. Like some others have stated the difference in mpg between the I4 and the V6 is maybe 3-4 mpg (give or take).
Sure the cost of changing the timing belt, water pump, etc. will set you back some $$$, but I feel it is worth it for the extra power of the V6. Also, I have no issues with the auto trans (so far, so good, knock on wood). But hey, its your money and your call so good luck.... :yes:

·
06 Acura TL
97 Posts
I would get the V6 without question. Like some others have stated the difference in mpg between the I4 and the V6 is maybe 3-4 mpg (give or take).
Sure the cost of changing the timing belt, water pump, etc. will set you back some $$$, but I feel it is worth it for the extra power of the V6. Also, I have no issues with the auto trans (so far, so good, knock on wood). But hey, its your money and your call so good luck.... :yes:

Yeah my automatic shifts pretty smooth and quick. No harshness or shudder just firm to smooth at times and quick depending on weather of course. Also, sticking to the Z-1 Honda Transmission fluid

·
06 Acura TL
97 Posts
Mechanics told me to walk away from the V6 and then I lost the I4 :(

Yeah the mechanics are somewhat right about walking away form the V6's because of transmission issues. But the issues are only occuring when some owners fail to change out the transmission fluid often. Changing the tranny fluid often will help with longevity of the transmission. If owning a V6 make sure the previous owner had changed the fluid at least every 30k or often. I would recommend doing it every 15k along with the tranny filter at 30k. The 4cyl is not too bad on the tranny. Also, avoid the earlier 5AT V6's like 2003 and some 2004. I used to own a 2006 Honda Accord EX-L 4cyl 5AT and now I own a 06 Acura TL which is 3.2 V6 5AT. My Acura is actually shifting a little smoother after replacing the tranny fluid along with filter. I know the transmission fluid was replaced at 30k and 61k before I bought it as a certified used. However, I personally got the fluid changed out along with filter and now the fluid is reddish pink like it should be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts