Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to drive from Central NJ to Melville NY and back today. 5+ hours (total) cutting across Staten Island, on the Belt Parkway, Sunrise Hwy, and Southern State Parkway. Nightmare commute.

Had it in S-mode almost the entire time. Constantly going from 50-80 MPH and weaving through traffic. Performed beautifully. Very aggressive shifting... but you are always in the right gear. Press the accelerator half way and you got mountains of torque. Floor it and you're gone.

Best driving experience I've had in a long time. This car is damn near perfect. Don't think I can give up this powertrain for a 2.0T/10AT. Just don't think I can do it. Man, what a car!!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I mean, that is pretty fun, but why do you think a superior engine/transmission would be a step back?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean, that is pretty fun, but why do you think a superior engine/transmission would be a step back?
I will drive the 2.0T and put it through its paces. I'll give it a fair shot.

But, the way the V6/6AT/S-mode combination works, it's damn near flawless for aggressive driving. It's like I was in a race car. Never once did I complain that I couldn't manually shift or use paddles; it was that good.

Combine the incredibly aggressive tranny with the instantaneous power, smoothness, and low-end growl of the V6, and I'm easily reminded why I never purchased a 3 Series, A4, C-Class, or 4-cyl TSX/TLX -- even though I can afford any car I want.

If the 2.0T/10AT is superior... then I won't hesitate to get one. But the Accord V6 sets the bar way higher than most people give it credit.

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,573 Posts
I will drive the 2.0T and put it through its paces. I'll give it a fair shot.

But, the way the V6/6AT/S-mode combination works, it's damn near flawless for aggressive driving. It's like I was in a race car. Never once did I complain that I couldn't manually shift or use paddles; it was that good.

Combine the incredibly aggressive tranny with the instantaneous power, smoothness, and low-end growl of the V6, and I'm easily reminded why I never purchased a 3 Series, A4, C-Class, or 4-cyl TSX/TLX -- even though I can afford any car I want.

If the 2.0T/10AT is superior... then I won't hesitate to get one. But the Accord V6 sets the bar way higher than most people give it credit.
{bold added}

The only thing "superior" about the 2018 Accord drivetrain with the 2.0T engine is the new 10-speed automatic. Many manufacturers have been using a 2.0T engine for many years before Honda discovered this "superior" engine. And many of these same manufacturers who use the 2.0T as a base engine offer a V6 as an upgrade. Just take a look at Audi's new V6.....

http://youwheel.com/home/2016/06/08/technical-analysis-audis-new-3-0l-turbo-v6/

The fanboys here just love drinking the Honda 2.0T Kool-Aid. Too bad they can't see the big picture.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord Touring K24W i4 w/CVT
182 Posts
I’ll pop my CVT 4 banger Touring out of eco mode if I want to pass somebody going up a hill that’s as much excitement as I need. Getting 900KM out of a tank of gas is more exciting to me.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
My condolences for having to go out to the Island from Jersey, let alone having to go through Staten Island. The tolls themselves could have filled up a tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
{bold added}

The only thing "superior" about the 2018 Accord drivetrain with the 2.0T engine is the new 10-speed automatic. Many manufacturers have been using a 2.0T engine for many years before Honda discovered this "superior" engine. And many of these same manufacturers who use the 2.0T as a base engine offer a V6 as an upgrade. Just take a look at Audi's new V6.....

Technical Analysis: Audi?s New 3.0L Turbo V6 | YouWheel - Your Car Expert

The fanboys here just love drinking the Honda 2.0T Kool-Aid. Too bad they can't see the big picture.
Exactly this.

That the 2.0T/10AT barely beats the V6 in EPA fuel economy (at least the EX-L model, the Touring is actually 1 MPG behind on the highway) and performance despite a weight advantage of roughly 170 pounds doesn't exactly scream "superior" to me. When you compare the performance of the 2.0T/6MT to the V6/6MT, the 2.0T's inferiority to the V6 becomes quite clear. I bet that if the 2.0T were paired with the old 6AT, it would get smoked by the V6, especially off the line. The 10AT just happens to be perfectly-suited to the power delivery characteristics of the 2.0T: The extremely short 1st gear compensates for turbo lag, while close gearing after that keeps the engine on the boil. Not only that, but the 10AT's shifts are quicker than the sluggish upshifts of the 6AT. That alone can shave a tenth or two off of 0-60 and 1/4-mile times.

The only thing superior about the 2.0T/10AT is the transmission. The 2.0T by itself is clearly inferior to the V6.

Reactions: ActiveAgent

·
Registered
770 Posts

@dfwxjer, you have a V6, you should already know the answer to this. :grin

·
Registered
174 Posts
Had to drive from Central NJ to Melville NY and back today.

Had it in S-mode almost the entire time. Constantly going from 50-80 MPH and weaving through traffic. Performed beautifully.
Have I read that S-mode never engages 6th gear?

·
8th Gen Believer
3,972 Posts
I have to agree with the OP. Even my 9-yr old 8th gen V6 is a killer ride I don't want to part with. Oh I did some mods, but not to the engine. It doesn't need any.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S-mode does lock out 6th gear. The tranny is so aggressive in S-mode, you have to be going really fast for it to even use 5th gear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
2.0T's from any manufacturer are not superior to their V6 offerings. They only give the manufacturer the ability to claim higher MPG stats to meet CAFE requirements. A lot of the claimed MPG stats are bogus in the real world especially city MPG. Yes you get max torque low in the rev range and that gives the impression of being faster, but the smooth delivery of power from a V6 is in my opinion a better experience.
@dfwxjer, do you work in Honda Sales? I swear you are always trying to sugar coat Honda's decisions. Let's face it; the majority of Honda's decisions are based on maximizing profit. That's why they have become a mediocre brand chasing sales instead of quality.

The only reason my last 2 cars have been Honda is because they are made in the US, made in my home state, and built mostly from US sourced parts. Oh and they had V6s.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
My condolences for having to go out to the Island from Jersey, let alone having to go through Staten Island. The tolls themselves could have filled up a tank of gas.
Used to live in your neck of the woods. Wife commuted from White Plains to Brooklyn every day. Then we moved to Long Island. Her commute got better mine went to crap (LIRR vs. Metro North). Co workers from Staten Island would get me tokens at the cheaper rate. Commutation budget between the two of us was ridiculous.

Sport mode definitely wakes the car up from it's mpg sleep and is a really great highway cruiser. I too am skeptical that something else can overall match this combo. Yes, paddle shifters would be even better with sport mode if it could hold gears. A manual the ultimate until you hit stop and go traffic.

To take it to the next level, I would love some sort of turbo V6 and just bypass a 4 banger turbo altogether. I'm not a fan of boosted downsized engine approach that questionably match a N/A V6. Yes, the 10 speed is a big part of the equation but I'm not a fan of a drivetrain that is constantly shifting, not fun.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Reading this thread makes me think Honda is going to lose repeat sales of the Accord, big time.

·
Registered
549 Posts
K-Tuner for the tune and to make it up shift a lot quicker. Some realistic weight wheels. Stock 19" wheels and tires weigh 57lbs EACH. These HPD Honda wheels with tires 43lbs each. I sold my stockers bought my wheels and tires and still made money. Plus a little shorter tire geared the car a little for the better. The thing runs good. I cant wait to come across a 2018 2.0T I want to race one bad. Just to see where changing the wheels and adding K-Tuner lets the car stack up aginst the 2.0T Plus with K-Tuner there is no more rev limiter and this car will go 155 mph.

https://www.facebook.com/KTunerLLC/videos/1078925682213064/

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
I do have some RV6 HFPC coming and a XLR8 J-pipe for a 09 TL that I will be installing after the holiday.

Reactions: onggiagan1212

·
cvt - NOT
1,221 Posts
That top speed video is crazy! Where are you able to get that type stretch of road to reach the top speed? How stable does the car feel at 160mph?

·
2020 best year
4,158 Posts
I would say the 6-speed would make it even better, but given the crappy rev hang, I am gonna say just enjoy the 6AT. Sorry to say, but I have to say that I might have regretted buying an 8th Gen 6-6 if it has the rev hang.

2.0T's from any manufacturer are not superior to their V6 offerings. They only give the manufacturer the ability to claim higher MPG stats to meet CAFE requirements. A lot of the claimed MPG stats are bogus in the real world especially city MPG. Yes you get max torque low in the rev range and that gives the impression of being faster, but the smooth delivery of power from a V6 is in my opinion a better experience.

@dfwxjer, do you work in Honda Sales? I swear you are always trying to sugar coat Honda's decisions. Let's face it; the majority of Honda's decisions are based on maximizing profit. That's why they have become a mediocre brand chasing sales instead of quality.

The only reason my last 2 cars have been Honda is because they are made in the US, made in my home state, and built mostly from US sourced parts. Oh and they had V6s.
The thing is that most people do drink the industry Kool-Aid...

Personally, I think the I4T is not as smooth and predictable as a NA V6 engine, and sitting in an upscale car with the buzzy 4-cylinder engine kinda reminds you of the typical econobox, but at the same time, I4T means more interior space and more torque at low RPM(how many typical people go past 3k RPM on a regular basis?). For an Accord, I think the I4T is pretty acceptable.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts