Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Brand new to the site and pretty new to the Accord family, but long time Honda brother =). About a month ago I picked up an 03 accord EX v6. Everything looked fine when I got it, but progressivly I was hearing a bearing noise from somewhere. Long story short, the ac bearings are shot and so is the compressor. Im not currently in a situation to buy a new compressor at the moment, they are pretty pricey, so about 4 days ago, went to Advanced auto, tried out like a million belts and thought I had found one that was a perfect fit that also bypasses the AC, Its just a temp fix until I can get a compressor. But about 2 days ago, I lost power steering, pulled over and found the belt was half way off on top of the power steering pulley. Luckily I had tools with me and was able to push the tensioner back(Also new), and put the belt back in place. but today, boom, driving down the road and I hear it start to go and it rips and the battery light comes on, so I just rip it out and limp the car home.

So, sorry for the huge run on paragraph but I was wondering if anyone here had a for sure answer on the size of an AC bypass belt if there is one? Its for the J30a4. Thanks ahead of time everyone! Look forward to good news, I hope!

The belt I used was a 705/6 rib.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Not sure what belt you'd use, but if you can't afford a new compressor, try searching Craigslist for a used one or visit a u-pull-it.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Why don't you run a string around where it needs to go, mark the string, and then measure the circumference? buy a new belt based on that.

Reactions: mtts60

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
Why don't you run a string around where it needs to go, mark the string, and then measure the circumference? buy a new belt based on that.
Good idea, but make sure you subtract an inch or two so you get some tension on the tensioner.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Is your compressor bad or just the compressor clutch? If it's actually the compressor, why can't you just leave it off?

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Unless the clutch is engaging, there shouldn't be any noise. Try just disconnecting the coil wire to the compressor so it doesn't try to engage. It is the single wire connector usually fastened on the left side of the radiator.

Jim

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Normally the clutch bearing fails and eventually the clutch will come apart and possibly ruin other things. The clutch and bearing can be changed separately, the issue is normally the nose of the compressor where the bearing is pressed on has grooves and the whole compressor needs to be replaced. You can get a brand new compressor with the clutch installed for $197 online from www.rockauto.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts