Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at work just got a new v6 Altima. He thinks it will beat me. What do you think? Should I take him to the track to show him what's up?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
A guy at work just got a new v6 Altima. He thinks it will beat me. What do you think? Should I take him to the track to show him what's up?
Sound awfully childish to me. Two new four door sedans driven by armatures looking for a way to either wreck a new car or ruin a new engine. BTW If you read your owner's warrantee you will find out that racing voids your warrantee. :thumbsdow

Street racing is dangerous, stupid and racing on a track is just dumb. Of course it's less dumb if you are in a racing car wearing racing gear with an ambulance and fire crew standing by.

It would be safer for each of you to pull down your pants and compare who has the biggest pecker. :banana:

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
1,335 Posts
No need for any of that. You have a V6/6MT, you win. If it was sedan V6 comparison, I would say it's up to the driver. But since you have the coupe with the V6 and 6MT, your car is just faster because the engine/transmission combo is more potent.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
You'll most likely win, but he wouldn't be too far behind either. If you guys are about equal in skill and can settle this with good sportsmanship, then do it - I'd be curious to know too. However, if this is going to sour work relations, then it's probably best to just leave it alone. You never know how things like these will come back to bite you in the ass.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have owned both. He will probably spin his cvt to death before he gets going. My 2013 altima 3.5 went through transmissions for breakfast. The honda has this one!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Honda will win this one, no doubt. Do it and put him to shame!

Flyboy, it is perfectly legal to get to the speed limit however fast you want.

·
Grinding Gears
269 Posts
With a 6mt it will be up to how good of a driver you are. Both cars have similar 0-60 times and quarter mile traps, so the only real way to find out is to check at the drag strip. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
This thread is ridiculously great! But I've done pulls 20-80, 5-80, and 40-80 and have smoked my buddy in his new V6 Altima. He was both surprised and saddened.

If you want a horrible transmission, that Nissan CVT might take the cake...

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Honda will win this one, no doubt. Do it and put him to shame!

That's not 100% true. You can be cited for reckless driving eve though y have not exceeded the speed limit. However, that's not what these guys wanted to do. They wanted to race on a track to the maximum speed.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,165 Posts
If getting up to the speed limit however fast you want also causes the tires to chirp, then you can get a ticket for:
  • aggressive driving
  • reckless driving
  • failure to maintain proper control
  • exhibition of speed
  • exhibition of acceleration

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,165 Posts
Race him on a track!!!!!
:thmsup:

Unless the OP doesn't know how to drive a manual very well, there shouldn't be any doubt that the Accord V6 6MT would win.

Accord coupe V6 manual
  • Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
  • Zero to 100 mph: 13.4 sec
  • Zero to 120 mph: 20.0 sec
  • Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.0 sec
  • Top gear, 30-50 mph: 8.4 sec
  • Top gear, 50-70 mph: 8.1 sec
  • Standing ¼-mile: 14.0 sec @ 103 mph
  • Top speed (governor limited): 132 mph
  • Braking, 70-0 mph: 186 ft
  • Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.85 g

Altima 3.5 SV
  • Zero to 60 mph: 6.1 sec
  • Zero to 100 mph: 14.6 sec
  • Zero to 130 mph: 28.6 sec
  • Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.2 sec
  • Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.1 sec
  • Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.9 sec
  • Standing ¼-mile: 14.6 sec @ 100 mph
  • Top speed (governor limited): 131 mph
  • Braking, 70-0 mph: 173 ft
  • Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.84 g

Unless they're doing top gear 30-50 mph and 50-70 mph races.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
If getting up to the speed limit however fast you want also causes the tires to chirp, then you can get a ticket for:
  • aggressive driving
  • reckless driving
  • exhibition of speed
I had to bail a friend out of jail for exhibition of acceleration at a Shelby meet when he was showing off in his 1967 GT 500. It can definitely get you a ticket.

·
Registered
322 Posts
do it and report back to us

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unsafe acceleration

• aggressive driving
  • reckless driving
  • exhibition of speed
I received a ticket in Bridgeport, CT, in 1971, with my 1970 Buick GranSport 455 getting to 25 mph very fast...the ticket was written for "unsafe acceration" it was $25.00

·
Chicago Honda
126 Posts
Anyone have any idea how the honda 6at would fare in this comparison against the altima? Is it really that much different than the manual?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts