Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a retarded feature on the new 2013 9th gen accord auto v6 that doesn't allow you to get into first gear easily with the paddle shifters. Looked it up in the manual and it said to hold down the downshift to disable it although this does only work while accelerating once holding it down and you sort of have to feel it out WAY annoying when you want to do a bridge run or tunnel run. Has anyone figured out how to do this easily? I am going up to honda to get my tires rotated because of my "fun time abuse" and i'm going to ask them about it. :headbash:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Probably the same reason why you should never downshift into 1st in a regular manual....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Probably the same reason why you should never downshift into 1st in a regular manual....
+1 to this.

1st gear for getting off a line.....and thats about it.
Never even downshifted into first during autoslalom!

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1 to this.

1st gear for getting off a line.....and thats about it.
Never even downshifted into first during autoslalom!
Just to confirm this I normally don't downshift to 1st I LOVE tunnel/overpass runs and i'm always stuck in second at 2k rpm and it doesn't sound near as good ..

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
No it doesn't, mine went down in order. 3-2-1.
It's likely it does that with yours because you aren't shifting through actual gears, it's just a gear ratio. The Coupe V6 comes with paddle shifters (6 speed conventional transmission).

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
While I agree that on the street there should be no need to downshift to 1st once going, if you rev-match the downshift to 1st it should not be an issue.

Jay

·
Registered
186 Posts
V6 Coupe w/auto has paddle shifter, V6 Sedan w/auto does not.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've tried the paddles a few times and it doesn't seem right. The shifting is different than with the TSX 4 cyl. The car has enough power to not use the paddles. With the TSX I would use them more because the car wasn't as powerful and the paddles made the car quicker.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
Ever since the 7th generation, Honda has had what was then a new sychronizer that makes it easy to downshift to first while the car is moving and accelerate.

I find this to be extremely useful on the rare occasion that second gear won't give me all the torque I want.

I don't know about the automatic transmission, but one of the things I love about the Honda manual transmissions is the ability to do this.

When I talk to my gear-head friends, they think I'm nuts and can't even think of a reason to do such a thing, so maybe Honda's the only one's with it.

It really is quite a rush when you do it right.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
There is a retarded feature on the new 2013 9th gen accord auto v6 that doesn't allow you to get into first gear easily with the paddle shifters. :headbash:
Please, choose a different word in the future because that word is derogatory towards people who have mental disabilities, such as my daughter. I realize that it's a fashionable word these days but it really is offensive and degrading towards a group of people who didn't chose to have a disability.

Thanks,

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Please, choose a different word in the future because that word is derogatory towards people who have mental disabilities, such as my daughter. I realize that it's a fashionable word these days but it really is offensive and degrading towards a group of people who didn't chose to have a disability.

Thanks,
I have more respect for parents of “handicaped” children than almost anyone. I apologize for my misuse of the word. I appreciate you letting me know but I don't subscribe to the idea that going around telling people not to say it will change anything.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts