Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 V6 automatic coupe. 26 MPG highway. G019 tires, using the door jamb specs. 29 psi front, 32 psi rear.

Isn't this sorta crappy? Im doing like 60mph using cruise control. What tires do you reccomend for best gas milage and comfort? These tires i have now are utter shit to be honest.

·
1,771 Posts
I get 25 MPG on freeway drives since day 1. I did manage to hit 30 MPG once and have no idea what caused that, maybe it was a strong tailwind?

I dont think tires help MPG, My Primacy MXV4 got the same MPG as my old Pilot Sport tires.

I love my new MXV4s, I dont complain about the high cost. Go for them.

·
1,771 Posts
2006 V6 automatic coupe. 26 MPG highway. G019 tires, using the door jamb specs. 29 psi front, 32 psi rear.

Isn't this sorta crappy? Im doing like 60mph using cruise control. What tires do you reccomend for best gas milage and comfort? These tires i have now are utter shit to be honest.
What dont you like about your G019 tires?

·
Banned
294 Posts

Ofcourse it's crap but we don't know if you are the original owner. We don't know if you use crappy convenience store gasoline. We don't know if the transmission has been drained of fluid and filled up every 10-20k. We don't even know if the transmission has been flipped. I have the same car in sedan and I used to get 26 mpg in CITY driving so OFCOURSE, 26 mpg on hwy with cruise is unacceptable. IT'S OFFICIALLY CRAPPY!! congratulations!! now, go do some REAL homework!! i would start with whoever worked on your car before it sh*tted on you and go from there. humans foul things up a LOT.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What dont you like about your G019 tires?
They have really really stiff sidewalls and the ride is so bad man. How are your tires? My steering is also very heavy, not sure if that's the tires.

Ofcourse it's crap but we don't know if you are the original owner. We don't know if you use crappy convenience store gasoline. We don't know if the transmission has been drained of fluid and filled up every 10-20k. We don't even know if the transmission has been flipped. I have the same car in sedan and I used to get 26 mpg in CITY driving so OFCOURSE, 26 mpg on hwy with cruise is unacceptable. IT'S OFFICIALLY CRAPPY!! congratulations!! now, go do some REAL homework!! i would start with whoever worked on your car after it shitted on you and go from there. humans foul things up a LOT.
I am the original owner and i always use Hess or sunoco gas, 87 octane. I drained and filled once at like 60k with Z1.

·
1,771 Posts
I almost guarantee you the steering will be lighter with MXV4s. I had the same complaint as you when I had My Pilot Sport A/S- the ride is harsh and steering was heavy.

My steering now is much much lighter with the MXV4s. I noticed the difference driving off the lot at Discount Tires right away. And comfort has increased by A LOT. I will never buy ultra high performance tires again.

I hear the new MXM4 is good too, offers a bit more sport in the grand touring tire field and still pretty quiet.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I almost guarantee you the steering will be lighter with MXV4s. I had the same complaint as you when I had My Pilot Sport A/S- the ride is harsh and steering was heavy.

My steering now is much much lighter with the MXV4s. I noticed the difference driving off the lot at Discount Tires right away. And comfort has increased by A LOT. I will never buy ultra high performance tires again.

I hear the new MXM4 is good too, offers a bit more sport in the grand touring tire field and still pretty quiet.
Sounds good! I am seeking a high comfort tire. It is not worth the jarring ride to have performance tires. Plus I am risking bending a wheel with these stiff sidewalls.

The price differnce for 215,55,17 and 215,50,17 is about 40 dollars per tire, the 55's being cheaper. wow

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 04 sedan varied by season.... 26-27 winter and 29-30 summer. My 05 coupe is consistently been getting 26-27 but admittedly under limited test.

I'm happy though either season, why? 240 hp when I want it. Nuff said.:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
I average 24 mpg mixed driving, so 26 freeway is probably not as good as it could be. but not horrible. You stated you follow the door jam specs of 29 front, 32 rear. It should be the other way around... Hopefully a typo... If not, that could be part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I average 24 mpg mixed driving, so 26 freeway is probably not as good as it could be. but not horrible. You stated you follow the door jam specs of 29 front, 32 rear. It should be the other way around... Hopefully a typo... If not, that could be part of the problem.
I am retarded. haha. Yep I have it mixed. :lmao: time to go correct my tire pressures

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have to agree that the MXV4 is one very good all around tire. Very good dry, wet performance and has done reasonably well in this nasty winter with record breaking snow amounts. Of course nothing beats a dedicated snow tire for maximum traction. Gas mileage is close to what I was getting with the stock OEM pilots, maybe a little better. That being said, I still find the steering to be just as heavy as with the stock tires and the ride quality just a tad better with this tire vs stock. I don't think there is a tire on the market that can change the VERY firm ride of the V6. The problem (IMO) is not with the tires, its with the shock/strut spring combo and the relatively heavy (23.5) lbs each of these 17 inch wheels. If these tires can't improve ride quality at $175.00 a pop, then what tire company can? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Isn't this sorta crappy? Im doing like 60mph using cruise control. What tires do you reccomend
Approaching 95,000: 32-36 HWY most trips; Around the state capital (60Freeway/40City): 26-28 summer; 25-27 winter fuel blend.

I would tend to agree your MPG could stand improvement. Michelin MXV4:no complaints (tread depth is 9/32 with 28,000 on the 215/50-17 inchers...........

ez....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to agree that the MXV4 is one very good all around tire. Very good dry, wet performance and has done reasonably well in this nasty winter with record breaking snow amounts. Of course nothing beats a dedicated snow tire for maximum traction. Gas mileage is close to what I was getting with the stock OEM pilots, maybe a little better. That being said, I still find the steering to be just as heavy as with the stock tires and the ride quality just a tad better with this tire vs stock. I don't think there is a tire on the market that can change the VERY firm ride of the V6. The problem (IMO) is not with the tires, its with the shock/strut spring combo and the relatively heavy (23.5) lbs each of these 17 inch wheels. If these tires can't improve ride quality at $175.00 a pop, then what tire company can? :dunno:
thats weird from what i hear those tires change the feel of the car. I never knew that heavy wheels could contribute to the ride of a car?? is this true?

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Ofcourse it's crap but we don't know if you are the original owner. We don't know if you use crappy convenience store gasoline. We don't know if the transmission has been drained of fluid and filled up every 10-20k. We don't even know if the transmission has been flipped. I have the same car in sedan and I used to get 26 mpg in CITY driving so OFCOURSE, 26 mpg on hwy with cruise is unacceptable. IT'S OFFICIALLY CRAPPY!! congratulations!! now, go do some REAL homework!! i would start with whoever worked on your car before it sh*tted on you and go from there. humans foul things up a LOT.
What's with the hostility? :dunno: BTW, recall you had sat out for one month from 3 previous infractions, please keep that in mind.

My 04 sedan varied by season.... 26-27 winter and 29-30 summer. My 05 coupe is consistently been getting 26-27 but admittedly under limited test.

I'm happy though either season, why? 240 hp when I want it. Nuff said.:D
Approaching 95,000: 32-36 HWY most trips; Around the state capital (60Freeway/40City): 26-28 summer; 25-27 winter fuel blend.
That's about what I am getting.

As for the tires, I'd rather pay a bit more in gas to have more sticky tires then lose the tire adhesion in exchange for higher mileage, I never liked the OEM Michelins because it looses traction too easily even in the summer time either in dry or wet conditions, I don't know how it would fair in winter conditions since I got a set of dedicated winter tires/rims as I've done for the the last 20 years, but I wouldn't bet on the OEM "No Seasons" in the winter, at least not for my car!

·
Registered
224 Posts
thats weird from what i hear those tires change the feel of the car. I never knew that heavy wheels could contribute to the ride of a car?? is this true?
Well, I am by no means an expert on this stuff and I have no real facts to back it up, so this is just my opinion. I am sure there are some members on this forurm who can jump in and share their expertise. So my answer to your question is yes, I do think they have impact on ride quality, albeit very slight. I feel these wheels have more of an impact on the steering as I stated earlier it is quite heavy IMO. I also think that if these V6 Accords came with 55 series profile tires that it would have added some cushion to the ride given that there would be more rubber between the road and the rim. I give the MXV4 tires high marks in most categories but I thought I would have noticed a much improved ride quality but it is only a slight improvement over the stock pilots which were a complete joke in all categories.

·
1,771 Posts
The MXV4 are only harsh on the worse freeway roads which only a Lexus can cure the noise. Being a tightwad if these tires didnt make me happy I would have bought them back to Discount Tires and exchanged for the Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX which is a also a touring tire and about 225 bucks cheaper for a set of 4.

If you do want some more sport to your tire the Pilot Exaltos A/S are a great choice, tremendous linear steering feel and reasonable comfort. They lasted 50k and I only noticed noise and harshness creeping in at around 42k or so. But they didnt make my car steer lighter like the MxV4s did.

·
Lost..
15 Posts
The MXV4 are only harsh on the worse freeway roads which only a Lexus can cure the noise. Being a tightwad if these tires didnt make me happy I would have bought them back to Discount Tires and exchanged for the Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX which is a also a touring tire and about 225 bucks cheaper for a set of 4.

If you do want some more sport to your tire the Pilot Exaltos A/S are a great choice, tremendous linear steering feel and reasonable comfort. They lasted 50k and I only noticed noise and harshness creeping in at around 42k or so. But they didnt make my car steer lighter like the MxV4s did.
03 Accord Coupe with the 5 speed auto. Am getting about 23-26 in mixed driving, highway I average 29-32mpg doing 75mph depending on the weather/temp at that time. That is on regular pump gas, and whoever is the cheapest at the time amongst the name brands.

·
No longer active
702 Posts

Just curious: how do you know that you are getting 26 mpg highway?
I've found that some folks don't calculate their economy properly OR call different things "highway".

If you are interested in tires, I am VERY happy with my General Altmax HP's in terms of ride comfort, quiet, and hydroplane resistance. They perform very well in the twisty stuff, yet the ride is hugely improved over the OEM Michelins that came with the car.

According to fueleconomy.gov, your highway mpg is dead on with what they estimate you would achieve (which either means you are doing it right or this is where you got your highway number). Per that site, they estimate you should get 18 city and 26 highway (average of 21) with most people actually averaging 23.9.

If you want to improve mpg, keep the revs below 2500 rpm during acceleration, keep the car as empty as possible, keep your speed withing 5-7 mph of the speed limit, keep your eyes open, and try to predict traffic flow to avoid using your brakes and coming to a complete stop. Also, don't warm the car up for more than 30 seconds (ever) and don't idle while waiting to pick people up.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jeff I am driving 90% highway right now. I cleared my trip when I filled gas, and then used my gas receipt when I filled up to calculate exactly how much fuel I used and miles driven. I was running 29 psi in the front at the time, which is totally wrong. I could have gotten maybe 28 mpg with the correct tire pressure. Right now I am running 33 all around so it should be alot better. I will check how muich I get later, right now i disconnected my resonator for that vtec sound so i have been wasting some gas :lmao:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts