Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Torque converter?
It did it in park the other day but not in neutral today, I'm going to test again today between park and neutral. Would that matter? A video was taken for me outside of the vehicle in park and in the video and they said they heard nothing but I could hear it inside very clearly

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Torque converter?
Seems like any gear in drive above 2000rpm it's doing it, it doesn't seem to be based on speed. I don't know 100% how torque converters work so I can't say if that makes sense or not, but accelerating in 2nd gear it whines 2000rpm and up. I can't get it to lock into first gear easly. Only thing I haven't tried is going into neutral while rolling but I assume it will just stop whining. So does this sound like a torque converter? I have a 3 months warranty but the dealer is 2.5h away and with health issues I can't even get to them to fix it for free or have them diagnose it, not that I'd trust their diagnosis.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if it has something to do with the fluid? Based on Carfax maintenance record it was done at 50,000 miles and it's at 101,500 do it's due, and I will be doing it in the spring with the timing belt and it's not being driven until then, but do I maybe have a chance that the fluid is old and it's not a torque converter? I know Hondas auto trans are very specific about everything, hopefully no damage was done of it being driven while whining

Registered

This v6 touring for reference also has the same type of whine , you could hear it more prominently after it shifts to second gear

My car has the same whine too however it does not seem to be as strong as yours

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This v6 touring for reference also has the same type of whine , you could hear it more prominently after it shifts to second gear

My car has the same whine too however it does not seem to be as strong as yours
I definitely hear it, I assume yours is a 6 speed auto like mine? When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? Mine was done at 50k miles and I just got it at 101k so I'm hoping maybe doing a 3x drain and fill will make it go away, or if it can be confirmed to not actually be a problem then it's fine. My 8th gen Accord with a 5 speed auto has a whine at slow speeds but it doesn't sound like a supercharger and seems to be a normal transmission noise

Registered
I definitely hear it, I assume yours is a 6 speed auto like mine? When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? Mine was done at 50k miles and I just got it at 101k so I'm hoping maybe doing a 3x drain and fill will make it go away, or if it can be confirmed to not actually be a problem then it's fine. My 8th gen Accord with a 5 speed auto has a whine at slow speeds but it doesn't sound like a supercharger and seems to be a normal transmission noise
I haven鈥檛 changed the transmission fluid yet, I鈥檓 at 54k miles so I鈥檓 planning on doing it very soon

Here is another vid of a different v6, still the same whining noise so I feel like it might be normal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts