Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey everyone, hope you guys are having a better weekend than I am.

So I was driving last night and out of nowhere my car wanted to play a joke on me called I'm not going to shift into 3rd gear anymore. It's pretty funny except the joke isn't over. lol also if it does get into gear it does this weird jerking type thing like it's trying to shift back down idk. i got to my friends house and had to reverse and then when i put it back into drive it just revved up but wouldn't move. checked my fluid which looks like shit but that's about it I had to get to work.

All this happened while I had 9 qts of trans fluid in my car and waiting on 2 pressure switches for 3rd and 4th gear and a trans filter being shipped to me so I could perform preventative maintenance after I read about the automatic trans problem my car is prone to (2003 V6 Coupe)

anyway, suggestions would be great but if not just wanted to share a story. if you are thinking about pulling the trigger on any of the aboved maintenance products my suggestion is do it and do it as quickly as possible because you really don't want to end up in a situation like this. Updates will follow:headbash::rant::bawling: I guess it might be a while before my car gets its paint job now

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,685 Posts
Hard to say if there is anything you can do that will save the transmission at this point. When they start slipping, from what I've heard, it's usually to late to save it. If you already have the fluid, I would go ahead and try drain and fills etc. but spending money on it at this point could all be wasted funds that could go to a rebuilt trans. Good luck

·
Banned
546 Posts
Save the parts (fluids, pressure switches, and filter) for when you buy your new transmission or have it rebuilt. Absolutely pointless to dump perfectly good fluids and parts into a wasted transmission...

·
Pothole
203 Posts
My 03 transmission has been slipping for over a year now. Currently at 274,000 miles.
Have changed fluid more times than I care to remember.
Changed factory filter just as many times(this actually made the most tangible difference).
Replaced pressure switches, twice.
Switched to Redline ATF.
Cleaned the screen for the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid(was plugged with clutch material thus triggering MIL), twice.
Removed stock filter and replaced with Magnefine filter.
All have helped, but none have cured the slipping into 2nd gear.
I shall remove and clean the linear block. I have inferred that inadequate pressure is at fault.
Will report results.

Take heart, all may not be lost.

·
Registered
804 Posts
if your trany is doing all of that, i wouldnt bother installing those parts... the damage is done.. its doing what its doing for a reason.. that reason has already happened.. =(

·
Ken
315 Posts
That story wasn't funny at all, Drew.

My sister's car is going through the same. Consider trading in for another car while you can!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to say if there is anything you can do that will save the transmission at this point. When they start slipping, from what I've heard, it's usually to late to save it. If you already have the fluid, I would go ahead and try drain and fills etc. but spending money on it at this point could all be wasted funds that could go to a rebuilt trans. Good luck
yea I know I've been at work all day but I am hoping that when I get back to my car I can see if I am still under my extended warranty that would be a lifesaver right about now. I think I might do that just to see if I can get it running enough to get to a shop or something. I can get a crush washer anywhere right or does it have to be a specific part number because if so I'll have to wait until my package arrives.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Save the parts (fluids, pressure switches, and filter) for when you buy your new transmission or have it rebuilt. Absolutely pointless to dump perfectly good fluids and parts into a wasted transmission...
Not gonna lie I pretty much feel the same way but I don't want to ask for rides everyday for work if I can get it kind of working again. on the other hand I don't want it to start acting up when I'm going 80 on a freeway on the way to work

My 03 transmission has been slipping for over a year now.

Take heart, all may not be lost.
thanks for the inspiration on that one but damn man that's a lot of work into that trans. You're making me think I should fix it and sell it now lol

if your trany is doing all of that, i wouldnt bother installing those parts... the damage is done.. its doing what its doing for a reason.. that reason has already happened.. =(
:yes: you have a point idk what I might do. hopefully if I have any luck at all I'll have some warranty left.

That story wasn't funny at all, Drew.

My sister's car is going through the same. Consider trading in for another car while you can!
lol I know... I am trying to find some kind of brightside to this story and I honestly can't so I just laugh out of frustration:nuts:

yea I was thinking about getting a newer car when I got back from deployment but it looks like things might be changing.
:thumbsdow

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Drew, I am sorry to hear this.

1) Agree with BLCKFLSH and Mike W. You may be throwing money away if you do ONE drain and fill BUT, it would be only $20 worth of fluid. I don't know if it would help.

2) Don't worry too much about a crush washer for the transmission fluid drain bolt right now. Most guys here who do three drain and fills simply reuse the existing crush washer for the first two drain and fills. They save the new crush washer for the last drain and fill. I reused mine after the first drain and fill (knowing I would do the second one the next day) and did not notice a drop of oil on the ground.

3) The fluid is dirty BUT it is full, correct? Just trying to see if it could be something else causing you trouble. Most likely not, but you have to rule out the small stuff.

4) Suggest you post your findings tomorrow with a new "title". You may get more specific responses (and help) by leading with "V6 transmission problem- help!" rather than "the funny story" which some members may not click on. Or see if you can edit it now before midnight.

5) Gather ALL your paperwork. Honda may do something for a fighting man. As Wayne Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Know any wrecking yards? I know people here drop $3,000 for a re-manufactured transmission installed, but I have a friend here in Chicago who hooked up another Accord owner with a used transmission for $500, and charged another $350 for install. He actually knew that used transmission was excellent shape (tree dropped on the one owner Accord with 50,000 miles).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as always mr. rick blaine coming with the most detailed responses lol thank you

I will do 2 drain and fills and see what happens and the fluid is really low actually it was below the min marker on the dip stick which btw is in an annoying place to try and fill fluid with.

I will do that (delete this thread and post a more serious looking title) tomorrow like you said after I look more into this.

that's the truth. well I bought this car used so I got an extended warranty I don't think it is through Honda but That would be nice. I'll give them a call anyway. and for sure there is nothing wrong with saving 2k by hitting up some junk yards.

Thanks again hopefully I will have better news and maybe some solutions to add to this forum tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
OP, how many miles on the car? I agree with Mike, but if you're trying to eek out a few more miles to tide you over, new fluid might bring the viscosity up enough to make that feasible. However, I'd keep my AAA membership card close by. Anyway, I hope you are able to resolve via warranty or at least, in a somewhat affordable manner.

·
Banned
395 Posts
Hey everyone, hope you guys are having a better weekend than I am.

So I was driving last night and out of nowhere my car wanted to play a joke on me called I'm not going to shift into 3rd gear anymore. It's pretty funny except the joke isn't over. lol also if it does get into gear it does this weird jerking type thing like it's trying to shift back down idk. i got to my friends house and had to reverse and then when i put it back into drive it just revved up but wouldn't move. checked my fluid which looks like shit but that's about it I had to get to work.

All this happened while I had 9 qts of trans fluid in my car and waiting on 2 pressure switches for 3rd and 4th gear and a trans filter being shipped to me so I could perform preventative maintenance after I read about the automatic trans problem my car is prone to (2003 V6 Coupe)

anyway, suggestions would be great but if not just wanted to share a story. if you are thinking about pulling the trigger on any of the aboved maintenance products my suggestion is do it and do it as quickly as possible because you really don't want to end up in a situation like this. Updates will follow:headbash::rant::bawling: I guess it might be a while before my car gets its paint job now
This is more of a suggestion to all of us with 7th gen V6 to do a D&F if you're DUE!! My cool story: 2006 V6 AT "GT edition Nighthawk Black" on 2nd transmission replaced by 1500 self induced "insurance policy" aka extended warranty! I have replaced the ATF once since the new tranny went in about 40k ago. Due for another! scared like the Dickens...if anyone out there can help me find a 6 MT in Texas, let me know..Need of desperate Plan B and lots prayees. $upport me

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Just know that when you call an extended warranty place- it is their JOB to make sure you are denied. Why? Because 8 out of 10 times the insured rolls over and gives up. They are a business with no customer loyalty. Read that thing well and Man Up BEFORE you call. There may be certain code words that can make or break it for you....

e.g. Some warranty places don't start the warranty for a period of time- to prevent people who use the warranty to repair a just purchased broken automobile. Sometimes they make you wait 30 days. Don't say you were just about to change the fluid because it was so dirty- because then they can say it was "neglected".

Mike W is correct in that if you replace pressure switches and do 3 drain and fills, you would most likely be wasting money. I am arguing that 1 drain and fill is $20 and if it helps- keep doing it. You are low on fluid right now and maybe a D&F will help.....But like Drew03Accord said, keep that AAA card close, just in case.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you're right I read that insurance paper and it says you should be changing transmission fluids every 3k miles? wtf who does that. that is the only reason I am going to D&F to make sure they don't say I neglected it.

but it says that if it is valid they will replace the whole transmission if needed. I would just have to pay $100 deductible and waste removal fees.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:D nice! thanks

so who is voting for me to get this trans replaced and then just sell the car and get what i can out of it and put it towards a new car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts