Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I was initially gonna stay all motor on my 2017 accord do some cams, head work, high compression pistons ported manifold, lightweight crank pulley, jpipe etc. but after calculating everything it seems that the cost of all bolt ons and internal work (labor costs) will cost around the same amount and I’ll be lucky to reach even 350 hp by staying all motor whereas turbo will blow past that with ease.
What do you guys think is this legit?

The question now becomes is how stout are these 6 speed auto transmissions? I’m sure just put a good trans cooler on and be good to go.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,799 Posts
I wouldn’t count on the durability of the transmission once you make more power.

Reactions: sub786

·
VCM DELETE
755 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. You will burn out that transmission fast with all that power.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,690 Posts
The MT could probably handle it. But there will be other weak points you'll find. There is a member on here with a V6 Turbo'd - looks like it might have been that kit.

·
Registered
369 Posts
No way the AT could handle such power unless you are happy with numbers you'll never use ;). Even with MT some bolt-ons don't seem optional...

·
Turbo lag
1,057 Posts
As someone who has boosted an AT, all I can say is that the trans strength won't be your number 1 problem. The problem here is that an AT requires proper MAP input to shift. This limits you to using the factory 2 bar MAP (well, mine only measures up to 10.2 positive psi). This caps your boost to around 8.5psi at most, as past that the car will throw P0108 and cut power and fuel until you clear the code. There is very little ways to get past this.

Plus, you're way under estimating how much rebuild a trans will be. A Gear-X upgrade kit for Honda 6MT is over $2k, now imagine making your own custom gears, torque converter, etc on a more complicated transmission. You'll easily spend $10K just to get the trans to work.

Reactions: bpods1989

·
Registered
2013 ACCORD EX-L V6 COUPE
2 Posts
Welp this thread was a buzz kill . As I was just looking at this same kit and I was wondering the same about the trans , although I already knew the answer I was looking for reckless advice on this forum anyway to justify my compulsive behavior 😢

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As someone who has boosted an AT, all I can say is that the trans strength won't be your number 1 problem. The problem here is that an AT requires proper MAP input to shift. This limits you to using the factory 2 bar MAP (well, mine only measures up to 10.2 positive psi). This caps your boost to around 8.5psi at most, as past that the car will throw P0108 and cut power and fuel until you clear the code. There is very little ways to get past this.

Plus, you're way under estimating how much rebuild a trans will be. A Gear-X upgrade kit for Honda 6MT is over $2k, now imagine making your own custom gears, torque converter, etc on a more complicated transmission. You'll easily spend $10K just to get the trans to work.
Interesting info it’s too bad no one makes built transmissions for these. I’m coming off a different platform the Trailblazer SS and built trans with High stall torque converters that can handle 4 digit power ran $6000 but I guess they were more mass produced and more demand than someone wanting a performance 6at Honda trans.

Welp this thread was a buzz kill . As I was just looking at this same kit and I was wondering the same about the trans , although I already knew the answer I was looking for reckless advice on this forum anyway to justify my compulsive behavior 😢
Just buy the kit I’m just waiting till tax return time. It will void the warranty but hey gotta have some fun.

How about taking the road less traveled?

rv6 jpipe
rv6 pcd’s
Ported manifold and intake runners and heads
5 angle valve job
Knife edged and ported throttle body
Unorthodox Racing lightweight crank pulley and alternator pulley
Overbored 13:1 forged domed pistons
Lightweight Forged rods
Custom ground cams
Titanium valve springs
93 octane or e85
Upgraded injectors and fuel pump

Anyone think a full on naturally aspirated build would make some good power?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.