Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed the oil level getting low on the automatic trans equipped V6? The 8th gen V6 accord has this issue, but not the stick shift equipped models since they don't have VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) Apparently there is leakage in the system to allow oil into the cylinders, not really oil burning but oil seepage. I have a 2007 Odyssey and while not excessive, I think this may be the reason I see the oil level drop on and off, I do have to add oil on occasion in between changes. Been thinking about adding a 9th gen Coupe to the stable, but could be tempted to get a stick shift non VCM equipped car if this is still happening.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
There was a small amount, about half a quart burned on the first oil change. It's been 8000 miles since I changed the oil, oil level remains stable, no burning

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There was a small amount, about half a quart burned on the first oil change. It's been 8000 miles since I changed the oil, oil level remains stable, no burning
My '13 V-6 EX-L did the exact same thing, no oil usage after 1st. oil change at 6610 miles, OLM 15%. I now have 11500 miles, 30% OLM. I check the oil every Saturday, still at full mark.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,338 Posts
Our 2013 VCM equipped Odyssey is at the 15% and the oil level has not budged over 6990mi.

Jay

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
I lost/burned a quart of oil on my 2nd oil change @ 21,000 miles. First oil change was done at 10,500 miles. I use Toyota 0W-20 with Honda OEM oil filter.

Only 3.5 qts. came out, but I have a 4-cyl.

From what I've read in the past it is normal for Honda engines to burn oil.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not normal for Honda motors to burn oil, furthermore this is not oil burning, it is oil leakage into the non ignition cylinders., I have had many Hondas over the years and none have had depleted oil levels compared to this current issue. But nice to hear about current results, a little research will show the problem with past motors, I am just wondering if the new motors have something changed in the VCM system compared to the last generation.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It is not normal for Honda motors to burn oil, furthermore this is not oil burning, it is oil leakage into the non ignition cylinders., I have had many Hondas over the years and none have had depleted oil levels compared to this current issue. But nice to hear about current results, a little research will show the problem with past motors, I am just wondering if the new motors have something changed in the VCM system compared to the last generation.
I didn't have the issue with my first 2013, oil changed at 9k miles. I'll keep an eye out on the 2014.

I do believe the VCM is different, since the 8th gens had the option of 3/4/6 cylinder mode, while I believe the 9th gen only has 3/6. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not as familiar with Honda as most of you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I didn't have the issue with my first 2013, oil changed at 9k miles. I'll keep an eye out on the 2014.

I do believe the VCM is different, since the 8th gens had the option of 3/4/6 cylinder mode, while I believe the 9th gen only has 3/6. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not as familiar with Honda as most of you.
I could see it being more of an issue with the 3/4/6 VCM in the 8th gen, because you would be powering only one cylinder on one bank, so the oil may spill into the open valves on the two other cylinders that are not firing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Same as others here--I've lost about a half-quart: always checked on a stone-cold motor, level garage floor. Am at 6,2xx, and haven't lost anything more, so I chalk it up to VCM break-in/setting/other. At 30% remaining oil life.

Should I add oil, or is it only necessary if the level should drop below the line on the dipstick? (I know what the O/M says, but would be curious of everyone's opinion.) :dunno: :paranoid:

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
Same as others here--I've lost about a half-quart: always checked on a stone-cold motor, level garage floor. Am at 6,2xx, and haven't lost anything more, so I chalk it up to VCM break-in/setting/other. At 30% remaining oil life.

Should I add oil, or is it only necessary if the level should drop below the line on the dipstick? (I know what the O/M says, but would be curious of everyone's opinion.) :dunno: :paranoid:
You should add oil if you're below the line. Mixing new/old oil is fine as long as it's the same weight.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I could see it being more of an issue with the 3/4/6 VCM in the 8th gen, because you would be powering only one cylinder on one bank, so the oil may spill into the open valves on the two other cylinders that are not firing.
From the Honda website:http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/VCM/

VCM deactivates the cylinder by keeping the intake and exhaust valves in the closed position to halt fuel supply.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In the theory the valves are supposed to stay closed, but it ain't a perfect world since there is an issue with the 8th gen VCM oil leakage into the cylinders. Hopefully there has been a change to prevent this on the 9th, so far everyone's response looks like it may be cured.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
S2000,

I am not familiar with the 8th Gen VCM, but I don't understand how oil is getting past valves, open or closed, unless there are defective valve guides and/or valve seals. If there is some kind or type of problem with the seals, oil would leak when ever the engine is running. The valves being open or closed should not being a factor, as valves in normal operation only have their stems in contact with oil, not their face.

Can you help me understand better?

·
Luv2Drum
119 Posts
Just checked mine. I've only got 2500 miles on it, but it hasn't lost a drop.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You should add oil if you're below the line. Mixing new/old oil is fine as long as it's the same weight.
That's what I figured--if the level is still between upper and lower lines, it's OK. (For some reason, 0W-20 Synthetic Blend seems hard to come by at AutoZone, etc. I would think with enough cars using the light oils, that Pennzoil or Valvoline would make that available at such places. :dunno: )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.