Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm racking my brain and my OCD is working overtime with this so I've got to post. I just did my first valve adjustment, car is 2006 Accord LX 4cyl auto with 125k miles. I read the manual and it said to do it around 110k I believe. I thought it sounded a little ticky and the idle could have been smoother (kinda rhythmically bounced, very slight, no visible change in rpm).

My issue is this... I read that these engines usually see the exhaust side loosen over time and the intake side tighten. But I had tight lash on both sides. The intake was about 0.005" so 0.003" below spec (8-10) and the exhaust was about 0.008" or 0.009" so 0.003" or 0.002" below spec (11-13). Does this make sense to anyone? I set them in the middle of spec 0.009" and 0.012" and closed her up. I feel the idle is less "bouncy" now, actually it's pretty darn steady. I can't tell if it's and rougher or not, it might be but I feel I'm listening/feeling for smoothness much more intently now. The engine does sound more "ticky" now I'm pretty sure. It doesn't help that my wife has an electric car, the Honda feels like a noisy mess after driving it. I don't feel any perceived loss of power, I just topped off the tank and will check gas mileage.

Any thoughts? Does it make sense to have tighter intake lash? If I loosened the intake too much can I do any damage over time? I have a road trip coming up over Thanksgiving. Not sure if I should double check it this weekend. I purchased the car from my dad and he kept immaculate records, I don't see any evidence of a prior valve adjustment being done (he's known to let the dealer do whatever they want).

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've done lots of valve clearance adjustments on many types of engines for 40 years. Clearances can go either way, close down or open up for exhaust or intake. There are some "trends" within certain engine types, but no infaillable rules for what happens.

Also, cam lobes are well designed for their opening and closing ramps which is where the clearance is at work, so being near specification is usually OK, but "on" spec is even better and easily achieved with some patience.

Drive your car with little worry as long as you did the clearances reasonably well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. Am I right to assume if I see as good or better gas mileage then that means I did it correct?

Crap, I also just remembered I put anti-seize on the spark plugs when I put them back in. Sure hope I didn't over torque them. AHHH! :headbash:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts