Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dropped off my '05 Accord V6 to have the dealer complete the 105,000 mile maintenance for timing belt, waterpump, sparkplugs, etc. I understood valve adjustment to be included in this service, but the dealer said they are not adjusted or even inspected unless you can hear them. He even said he had never had valves adjusted at any car serviced at that dealer. Is this okay or should I ask them to adjust the valves?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
The service advisor is full of crap.

You'll hardly ever hear a J engine make noise from the valves. The exhaust valves tend to tighten, as in, lose clearance. If they get too tight, the valves won't seal. That can lead to rough running when cold, stalling, misfire codes, and at worst burned exhaust valves. The intake valves stay the same, maybe loosen just a tad.

I'd find another dealer to be honest. Or a good independent shop.

I hope while they are in there they are going to replace the timing belt idler pulley and tension pulley. They seem to be slightly more prone to failure on gen 7 versions of the J engine vs gen 6 J engines.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Timing belt tensioner too. Every one we pull out is leaking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I am in Sioux Falls, SD for the next couple of weeks and there is only one Honda dealer. When I return to Minneapolis/St. Paul I will have a dealer there adjust the valves. I'd rather not be the first customer to have a valve adjustment done in Sioux Falls, but I had the maintenance done here because it was substantially cheaper.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Sounds like a classic case of you get what you pay for, I guess. Just be glad you thought to double-check with the forum members :thmsup:

·
'09 TL SH AWD Tech
654 Posts
Valve adjustment is PITA. Yes, the valve clearance can get out of whack. Often overtime, intake valves tend to loosen up and exhaust tend to tighten. The rule of thump is while you run the engine idle in the car with the windows rolled up and in absolute quietness, if you can hear any loud ticking going on.

I adjust mine once a year and every year my back hurts for a couple of days after :)

For the record, the shop manual says "adjust clearance if noisy".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Valve adjustment is PITA. Yes, the valve clearance can get out of whack. Often overtime, intake valves tend to loosen up and exhaust tend to tighten. The rule of thump is while you run the engine idle in the car with the windows rolled up and in absolute quietness, if you can hear any loud ticking going on.

I adjust mine once a year and every year my back hurts for a couple of days after :)

For the record, the shop manual says "adjust clearance if noisy".
I just hit 60k miles on my v6 6mt. I think my valve's might need an adjustment. I hear a ticking noise more so in the early mornings when it's cold or when the car occasionally idles below 1k rpms. I heard the ticking noise a few months ago but that was from having a loose intake bracket. I got the bracket tightened, but seem to still here that ticking noise.. :/

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also just got the 105000 mile service done, replaced water pump and timing belt tensioner, and threw in the 3rd gear TSB issue as well. Dealer did not recommend valve inspection. Car has 99% highway miles, always been dealer serviced...no noises at all from the engine. Car runs/looks like it did on day 1. Did I goof by not getting this done?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
The valves in a J30 rarely make noise. The issue is that the exhaust valves lose clearance (get tighter) as the engine accumulates mileage. The intakes stay the same or slightly loosen.

The bad thing is that you'll never hear a tightening valve, well, until it starts to run rough cold, or worse runs rough all the time and burns an exhaust valve.

The clearances are the tightest when dead cold. They loosen as they get hot. Many J30s can be very quiet cold, but have some slight ticking when hot, which is normal as the valves loosen slightly as everything heats up. This is why it's super critical to have them adjusted with the engine completely cold.

Just a couple of thousandths can make a difference on these.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Thanks for the information. I am in Sioux Falls, SD for the next couple of weeks and there is only one Honda dealer.
Talk to Dave if he still works there, I imagaine he does. Whoever you talked to is full of shit. My friend has had his valves adjusted at Vern Eide multiple times.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can anyone with a factory service manual confirm that the attached file gives the correct valve clearances for the 2003 to 2007 I4 accord engine. I found it for a CR-V and assume its correct but don't know for sure.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
That looks correct.
Your under hood sticker should have the clearances on it as well.
I think they stopped doing that in '08 and up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts