Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, as an automatic v6 owner I suffer from severe vcm aggravation. From reading of multiple threads on forced induction I feel its safe to to assume most other automatic owners do as well. I recently ordered a "VCMuzzler" (A google search will provide links to many forum threads by its creator and spammer "verbatim") a plug-in to the ECT-1 sensor that disables vcm. I recently became resolved to make my Accord the best it can possibly be and noticed this mod is not very popular so I start this thread in hopes it will motivate the performance tuning crowd. Also for those curious of how it works if you search it up the creator has very detailed explanations.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hey everyone, as an automatic v6 owner I suffer from severe vcm aggravation. From reading of multiple threads on forced induction I feel its safe to to assume most other automatic owners do as well. I recently ordered a "VCMuzzler" (A google search will provide links to many forum threads by its creator and spammer "verbatim") a plug-in to the ECT-1 sensor that disables vcm. I recently became resolved to make my Accord the best it can possibly be and noticed this mod is not very popular so I start this thread in hopes it will motivate the performance tuning crowd. Also for those curious of how it works if you search it up the creator has very detailed explanations.
I know nothing about this MOD, but messing with your ECT-1 sounds crazy to me. The ECU uses lots of information to operate the VCM. (oil pressure switches, Accelerator pedal position, throttle position, ect) A single sensor shouldnt make a difference. I would assume it interrupts the temperature reading to indicate lower temps to keep the VCM from operating. But that a complete guess. Even if thats possible your messing with the sensor that is used for many engine operations.

Sometimes you can cause more problems by fixing one.

Have you looked into tuning software that can disable the system? Im tuning my car with a 6 speed which doesn't have VCM so i dont even know if thats possible.

But im curious so let us know what you do

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did it on my 2007 Odyssey and the difference is great! No more shaking when vcm is enabled and more response from the engine when needed.

All it does is lower the temperature reading 5-8 degrees so that the vcm doesn't come on waiting for the optimal engine temperature. The rest of the engine is not affected whatsoever.

All Odyssey being V6s it is a widely used modification with only good stories to tell.

And no more eco light coming on and off

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know nothing about this MOD, but messing with your ECT-1 sounds crazy to me. The ECU uses lots of information to operate the VCM. (oil pressure switches, Accelerator pedal position, throttle position, ect) A single sensor shouldnt make a difference. I would assume it interrupts the temperature reading to indicate lower temps to keep the VCM from operating. But that a complete guess. Even if thats possible your messing with the sensor that is used for many engine operations.

Sometimes you can cause more problems by fixing one.

Have you looked into tuning software that can disable the system? Im tuning my car with a 6 speed which doesn't have VCM so i dont even know if thats possible.

But im curious so let us know what you do
As Ti-Ben said and you guessed the mod lowers the temperature reading, its been around for about 3 months with no problems with fuel air mixture or anything else reported so far, no CEL's appear either. I'll keep this thread updated when I receive mine in 3-5 business days. I've been doing some research into tuning and in anything I've read VCM seems to be the biggest block so I haven't found much to do. :frown I just hope to do a few bolt-ons, get to 300hp at the crank and call it a day. (Until someone puts out a turbo recipe that works on the auto)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Where did you order it?

Reactions: ladyshandon

·
Registered
841 Posts
I did it on my 2007 Odyssey and the difference is great! No more shaking when vcm is enabled and more response from the engine when needed.

All it does is lower the temperature reading 5-8 degrees so that the vcm doesn't come on waiting for the optimal engine temperature. The rest of the engine is not affected whatsoever.

All Odyssey being V6s it is a widely used modification with only good stories to tell.
Wow, learn something every day.

Im still confused about the 5-8 degrees cause engine operating temp varies MUCH more then that. but hey if it works it works

·
Registered
13 Posts
The kit comes with a second resistor that can be used if you live in a very warm climate. So if it varies too much and the eco light comes on you put the other one which lowers the temperature a bit more.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
This is funny... Bpearl was the first to intro NOS into a VCM engine and being an 8th gen mind you. Long before any tunning options and add on devices like the one being discussed.

For myself... I see no point in disabling VCM. I don't get VCM shakes or issues that many have blamed VCM on. I was the first to mod with a fully functional performance intake manifold used on 8th gen and previous Honda and Aucra v6 manual cars.

It is about properly setting up and not copying the 6-6 guys, as automatics need torque, not all them delete PDC and jpipe mods.

I think Bpearl's thread on adding NOS... The last I heard from him, he had pushed 400hp out of his 8th gen VCM after he got a tune. That beats 330 hp of what the 9th gen guys have done. Still no VCM Disabler.

IMO don't waist your money on that... Get it checked by Honda as you have an extended warranty on the VCM engine. Some need the ECU/PCM updated, others need to understand the automatic grade logic will not allow the 2 overdrive gears to load baring gears. So in the city if you keep the automatic in D, you will notice 5th dropping into 3rd or 4th to keep the automatic from using OD gears for any acceleration or power stability when loaded down by incline, wind, or light throttle increase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just find the vcm system annoying in general, bought an auto v6 for daily driving and wish to have all 6 cylinders running always. Also at $65 cdn for the mod its not too much of a waste if you decide you hate the result.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I know so many people that are gonna love hearing about this! Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is funny... Bpearl was the first to intro NOS into a VCM engine and being an 8th gen mind you. Long before any tunning options and add on devices like the one being discussed.

For myself... I see no point in disabling VCM. I don't get VCM shakes or issues that many have blamed VCM on. I was the first to mod with a fully functional performance intake manifold used on 8th gen and previous Honda and Aucra v6 manual cars.

It is about properly setting up and not copying the 6-6 guys, as automatics need torque, not all them delete PDC and jpipe mods.

I think Bpearl's thread on adding NOS... The last I heard from him, he had pushed 400hp out of his 8th gen VCM after he got a tune. That beats 330 hp of what the 9th gen guys have done. Still no VCM Disabler.

IMO don't waist your money on that... Get it checked by Honda as you have an extended warranty on the VCM engine. Some need the ECU/PCM updated, others need to understand the automatic grade logic will not allow the 2 overdrive gears to load baring gears. So in the city if you keep the automatic in D, you will notice 5th dropping into 3rd or 4th to keep the automatic from using OD gears for any acceleration or power stability when loaded down by incline, wind, or light throttle increase.
I think there is a way bigger population of V6 on the Odyssey vs Accord, so it is easier to draw a conclusion on the problems caused by the vcm. If you don't have any problems with it yet that's great, you're in the same boat as I was with my Odyssey. Once you start to have problems with it it's too late, so it's everyone's call to decide what they want to do. The vcm itself will always work, oil consumption and failed engine mounts will be the first victims. Do you guys have the active engine mounts on the Accord with vcm like the Odyssey has?

Anyway I was the first to think don't mess with it if it ain't broken, but I've changed my mind and tried it, couldn't be happier. The vcm delete is really cheap, less than 100$.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have explained so many times in various threads why VCM is blamed for things peeps don't understand. So I will explain as best I can the details in a compilation of what I said in the past.

From the get go Honda did not release the 8th gen with full synthetics for oil and transmission fluid. The main issue with VCM is transmission coupling with the automatic. Since the planetary is clutch driven, internal pressure will effect how harsh the engagement of shifting. Since Honda uses 4.11gears which are as low as most trucks, coasting and light throttle gear changes will be noticed over what you will find in most domestic cars not made by Honda. To complicate further Honda did not make the transmission with a serviceable filter to be replaced with the fluid. Thus eventually the internal filter will become saturated by material from wear on the clutch plates. On a conventional automatic there is less of an issue as the planetaries are gears, and the filter is accessible.

Since the first few TSMs dealt with oiling and VCM actuator valve issue, my main concern was Honda break in oil and long term effects with conventional motor oil and filtering.

If you look back when I first started here in 2011, I changed over to full synthetic and did further by using the best oil filter and added an external trans filter for maintance. Everything I have done has been in my sig.

Since reading about issues and Honda's findings on fixing the programming as the years gone by, I determined my hunch is correct... Conventional oil has a long term issue with clogging the passageways of the VCM circuit path to actuate the engaugment of cylinders. Some have had over 30K before moving to synthetic, others even more. Unfortunately synthetic was not offered until the last year for the 8th gen. Since then all service includes 20w0 for late 7th gen on up, and tranny fluid has been updated to synthetic as well.

Once damage has started synthetic oil and fluid or programming will not correct until service to replace parts effected. Honda is standing behind the VCM with an unheard of extended warrenty. I would put my money with allowing Honda to check and correct over hiding it with chicken little notions with a disabler.

To put false statements to rest... There will be no benefits from disabling VCM unless you really need Honda for service VCM operation. You will not accelerate quicker nor will save on gas. As for jerkiness from VCM it is all in the tranny... As I said before over drive gears in coast mode or very little acceleration will be felt when engagement or automatic down shift happens.

Reactions: Bkord123

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have explained so many times in various threads why VCM is blamed for things peeps don't understand. So I will explain as best I can the details in a compilation of what I said in the past.

From the get go Honda did not release the 8th gen with full synthetics for oil and transmission fluid. The main issue with VCM is transmission coupling with the automatic. Since the planetary is clutch driven, internal pressure will effect how harsh the engagement of shifting. Since Honda uses 4.11gears which are as low as most trucks, coasting and light throttle gear changes will be noticed over what you will find in most domestic cars not made by Honda. To complicate further Honda did not make the transmission with a serviceable filter to be replaced with the fluid. Thus eventually the internal filter will become saturated by material from wear on the clutch plates. On a conventional automatic there is less of an issue as the planetaries are gears, and the filter is accessible.

Since the first few TSMs dealt with oiling and VCM actuator valve issue, my main concern was Honda break in oil and long term effects with conventional motor oil and filtering.

If you look back when I first started here in 2011, I changed over to full synthetic and did further by using the best oil filter and added an external trans filter for maintance. Everything I have done has been in my sig.

Since reading about issues and Honda's findings on fixing the programming as the years gone by, I determined my hunch is correct... Conventional oil has a long term issue with clogging the passageways of the VCM circuit path to actuate the engaugment of cylinders. Some have had over 30K before moving to synthetic, others even more. Unfortunately synthetic was not offered until the last year for the 8th gen. Since then all service includes 20w0 for late 7th gen on up, and tranny fluid has been updated to synthetic as well.

Once damage has started synthetic oil and fluid or programming will not correct until service to replace parts effected. Honda is standing behind the VCM with an unheard of extended warrenty. I would put my money with allowing Honda to check and correct over hiding it with chicken little notions with a disabler.

To put false statements to rest... There will be no benefits from disabling VCM unless you really need Honda for service VCM operation. You will not accelerate quicker nor will save on gas. As for jerkiness from VCM it is all in the tranny... As I said before over drive gears in coast mode or very little acceleration will be felt when engagement or automatic down shift happens.
I agree with what you say about the oil and the non serviceable filter, but there is more to it. When the vcm is activated it creates a lot more stress on the engine mounts, they had to come up with special mounts to mitigate the effect in the cabin. They do fail really often and is a direct cause of the operation of the vcm.

Second is oil consumption, there are many reports of owners stuck with oil consumption with their v6 and when they disable it the oil consumption is cut in half. I won't go into too many details but you guys should go on odyclub.com and look for it, it's the most discussed subject for the 2005-2010 generation.

I hope you'd be right about the oil and filter being the only problem but it's not.. It's one of many.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I agree with what you say about the oil and the non serviceable filter, but there is more to it. When the vcm is activated it creates a lot more stress on the engine mounts, they had to come up with special mounts to mitigate the effect in the cabin. They do fail really often and is a direct cause of the operation of the vcm.

Second is oil consumption, there are many reports of owners stuck with oil consumption with their v6 and when they disable it the oil consumption is cut in half. I won't go into too many details but you guys should go on odyclub.com and look for it, it's the most discussed subject for the 2005-2010 generation.

I hope you'd be right about the oil and filter being the only problem but it's not.. It's one of many.
What? VCM does not create stress. As for the engine mounts, how come 6-6 guys have the engine mount issue as well? When I get on it, I feel how much force hits the engine mounts, so I make sure to feather the throttle.

Now lets see here... how many peeps with 2012 engines have this problem? Also I said I had issues with break in oil. Many go by maintenance minder. My break in oil was replaced within 3200 miles during a course of a year. Some report waiting for Maintenance Minder and replacing at 7000 or so. Since 2012 Honda has used full synthetic, so oil being thinner weight may allow the VCM circuit to operate smoother during the long run. As for full synthetic in the Tranny, until you realize many who complain about VCM have been running 30K or more on the ODO. I did all my change outs at 12.5 K on the ODO. So, I never allowed my engine get the the point where peeps are dealing with and not doing much but relying on false statements.

Until some one here sez they know what cam profile the VCM engine runs when VCM is active and when it is not Then I will listen... but the real issue is peeps letting the condition go too far for too long. All I have given would have helped but Honda was too slow in identifying what was needed before the problems set in. Once the circuit is compromised it is all on what needs to be corrected.

Our motor mounts are fine and VCM is smooth and unnoticeable, outside of the light on the instrument.

If anything nobody has given me proof that they really understand that the issue is not VCM, but the components being effected by conditions that have set in by lack of a firmware update, old oil deposits, and transmission pressures being effected by a non serviceable filter under long term operation. Go ahead an patch VCM, if you cannot verify that you don't have the three things met. Also as for the motor mounts, maybe that is something some should check, as the ones being more vocal seems to have a lot of shake issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No need to get aggressive, you have your opinion and it's fine, others have a different take on it and also have facts that make sense with some research done.

I'm only giving some info about what is being discussed on other forums stuck with the same issues where solutions were found, I'm not trying to say your argument is wrong.

Lower trims Odyssey have the same motor with auto transmission but no vcm. They don't suffer from motor mounts failing and oil consumption compared to the vcm motors. Same transmission, same weight to carry around and 98% same engine. VCM is the only difference. I'm out of this thread now, good luck guys with this!

·
Elvira - the car
3,509 Posts

Every time.

Although I noticed when dumping the original oil to a Mobil1 fill, the harshness and rumble immediately subsided almost completely.

Everything over 4th is an overdrive and exactly when the VCM is most active. Keep the engine oil clean and fresh.

As far as the trans fluid....

Another reason why the 6speed auto in the 9th gets an accessible trans filter and is simpler to change the trans fluid than an oil change.

Change the fluid religiously and everything will be aaalllll right!

Does anyone know if the DW trans fluid is synthetic?

Very well described @Metal Metalic

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Every time.

Although I noticed when dumping the original oil to a Mobil1 fill, the harshness and rumble immediately subsided almost completely.

Everything over 4th is an overdrive and exactly when the VCM is most active. Keep the engine oil clean and fresh.

As far as the trans fluid....

Another reason why the 6speed auto in the 9th gets an accessible trans filter and is simpler to change the trans fluid than an oil change.

Change the fluid religiously and everything will be aaalllll right!

Does anyone know if the DW trans fluid is synthetic?

Very well described @Metal Metalic
DW-1 is to be synthetic.

It was released just before 2012 models were built.

About that time frame, Honda added all late 7th gens and 8th gens prior to 2012 model year, to be included with 0w-20 synthetic oil changes as part of maintenance routine.

If any question with choosing oil, just make sure 0w-20 is what you are picking as most are all synthetic. Exept Pennzoil Platinum as there are two differerent bottles. They look almost the same on appearance but one is advanced Dino. So Platinum, is a 50/50 chance.

As for the Odyssey and VCM... Odyssey has a 3 - 6 VCM pattern, while 8th gen Accords have 3, 4 - 6 pattern. The down fall with motor mounts is torque related. A simple torque arm mounted to the engine and shock tower will keep motor mounts from being worn prematurely. As for VCM not being a problem with Odyssey is that the PCM control was simpler and only engauged when 3 cylinders were needed. Accords VCM worked harder between 3 and 4 cylinder action and had issues with PCM logic.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts