Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was just curious about which gets more mpg? The VCM on an 08 Honda accord coupe v6 or the manual Honda accord coupe v6? I was also wondering if the gas mileage was alot different in the automatic? For example, will people with manuals go to the gas station more often then the people with automatic because of not having a VCM in their engine?. Their probably is a thread about this but I was curious and don't really feel like searching for it.

·
Brake, Turn and POWER
401 Posts
Hey I was just curious about which gets more mpg? The VCM on an 08 Honda accord coupe v6 or the manual Honda accord coupe v6? I was also wondering if the gas mileage was alot different in the automatic? For example, will people with manuals go to the gas station more often then the people with automatic because of not having a VCM in their engine?. Their probably is a thread about this but I was curious and don't really feel like searching for it.
Really? All it takes is to go to Honda website, then click Accord Coupe, and Specifications. The answer is gonna be there.

You could have gotten your answer in a fraction of the time it took to write this thread. Please, don't be like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? All it takes is to go to Honda website, then click Accord Coupe, and Specifications. The answer is gonna be there.

You could have gotten your answer in a fraction of the time it took to write this thread. Please, don't be like that.
Ohh yeah sorry its been a long day. Had a superbowl party and soo many little kids screaming.. I guess it was a brain fart. Thanks haha.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be glad to tell you the difference, but it is easier using the search feature.
I have already found it but i think its wrong 17 mpg city driving on a manual.. That can't be right.. Why do people say its rare to find one with that kind of mpg???.. I know its fun and all but man thats not good at all.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
The 6spd manual is short, so VCM would win in the MPG war - if all factors would be the same.

However, if Honda was able to put in the old 5spd manual (if it was possible), then I would give the advantage to the manual.

·
09ACCORDCOUPE
599 Posts
I have already found it but i think its wrong 17 mpg city driving on a manual.. That can't be right.. Why do people say its rare to find one with that kind of mpg???.. I know its fun and all but man thats not good at all.
It's especially not wrong if you have a lead foot like me. I average 18 mpg in mixed driving. It doesn't bother me though, this MT is a blast to drive, and it's regular gas.:nuts:

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
As you've just researched, the VCM cars get better mileage. My 2007 6-6 is rated at 18 city and 27 highway. I average 25-26 mpg around town and get 31-33 mpg on the highway. In my case, those federal EPA numbers are not real. The manual transmission/VTEC engine combo is designed for performance. The automatic transmission/VCM engine is designed for daily driving and better mileage. The 6-6 is a full second quicker to 60 mph than the VCM-auto, which is one reason it gets worse mileage. And as GoLowDrew already mentioned, the manual transmission is geared to operate at higher rpm when on the highway. That's good for performance but also bad for mileage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As you've just researched, the VCM cars get better mileage. My 2007 6-6 is rated at 18 city and 27 highway. I average 25-26 mpg around town and get 31-33 mpg on the highway. In my case, those federal EPA numbers are not real. The manual transmission/VTEC engine combo is designed for performance. The automatic transmission/VCM engine is designed for daily driving and better mileage. The 6-6 is a full second quicker to 60 mph than the VCM-auto, which is one reason it gets worse mileage. And as GoLowDrew already mentioned, the manual transmission is geared to operate at higher rpm when on the highway. That's good for performance but also bad for mileage.
Would the 3.0L on the 2007 and the 3.5L on the 2008 Honda accord make a difference in mpg?

·
Banned
294 Posts
Would the 3.0L on the 2007 and the 3.5L on the 2008 Honda accord make a difference in mpg?
ironically, 3.5 liter was 'supposed to be the "fastest more powerfull Accord ever" but we all know that in practice with ACE and more girth, this was a major FAILBOAT ocean-city style!! Want more proof, scroll up and read what the guy with the 2007 6-6 is getting versus what the government EPA sticker said ...

My 2007 6-6 is rated at 18 city and 27 highway. I average 25-26 mpg around town and get 31-33 mpg on the highway. In my case, those federal EPA numbers are not real.
he is blowing those 06-07 EPA numbers out the water!! The 8th gen 3.5 v6 never could nor has anyone even vaguely reported something EXTREME like those mpg numbers. Get a 07 6-6 over 8th 6-6 unless you're some kind of trucker always on the highway. :lmao:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I ve been averaging 27 miles a gallon with my 2011 V6 auto, not to shabby for winter gas. There are people on this forum claiming 34 per gallon on there 2011 V6 autos. But I'm sure the 6-6 is more fun to drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ironically, 3.5 liter was 'supposed to be the "fastest more powerfull Accord ever" but we all know that in practice with ACE and more girth, this was a major FAILBOAT ocean-city style!! Want more proof, scroll up and read what the guy with the 2007 6-6 is getting versus what the government EPA sticker said ...

he is blowing those 06-07 EPA numbers out the water!! The 8th gen 3.5 v6 never could nor has anyone even vaguely reported something EXTREME like those mpg numbers. Get a 07 6-6 over 8th 6-6 unless you're some kind of trucker always on the highway. :lmao:
Haha Wow thats amazing I just might but the thing is I like the 8th generations style as well but if he is for real about what he is saying which I most certainly think he is then i might consider getting an 07 too. I want a manual because I know it will be fun in the long run while automatic might be fun for some years then get old.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I am not the only one who gets decent mileage from the 3.0-liter 6-6. Just yesterday in another thread, Ezshift5 stated he gets 32-36 mpg 100% hwy and 25-28mpg with a 60% freeway/40% city mix. The gist of my post was that the 2008+ 6-6s may also get better mileage than the EPA estimates. Honda makes an excellent engine. As long as you don't race all the time OR live in a mountainous terrain, I bet you'd be fine. And bear in mind, compared to other cars that can scoot from 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds, the 6-6 gets much better than average mileage.

·
Management
651 Posts
Haha Wow thats amazing I just might but the thing is I like the 8th generations style as well but if he is for real about what he is saying which I most certainly think he is then i might consider getting an 07 too. I want a manual because I know it will be fun in the long run while automatic might be fun for some years then get old.
He likes to bash the 8G Accord. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

I average 26 in the summer with a 70/30 mix of highway and city driving. The best I have seen is 28. The auto with VCM should be better with this type of driving. I've heard of a number of people getting over 30 on the highway. Also, ACE makes the car safer. Safer is always a good thing.

So to answer your question, you don't get a 6MT for good mileage. It's not that kind of car. I can't stand auto plus I like to have a little fun while driving so I went with the 6MT. Mileage wasn't a concern due to the type of driving I do. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Ilovemy06VtecV6 said:
ironically, 3.5 liter was 'supposed to be the "fastest more powerfull Accord ever" but we all know that in practice with ACE and more girth, this was a major FAILBOAT ocean-city style!!
There's nothing ironic about it. In 6spd form, it is the fastest, most powerful Accord made. And of course the 7th gen gets better mileage with that little V6. The bigger 3.5L engine producing more power requires more fuel. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He likes to bash the 8G Accord. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

I average 26 in the summer with a 70/30 mix of highway and city driving. The best I have seen is 28. The auto with VCM should be better with this type of driving. I've heard of a number of people getting over 30 on the highway. Also, ACE makes the car safer. Safer is always a good thing.

So to answer your question, you don't get a 6MT for good mileage. It's not that kind of car. I can't stand auto plus I like to have a little fun while driving so I went with the 6MT. Mileage wasn't a concern due to the type of driving I do. It just depends on what you are looking for.

There's nothing ironic about it. In 6spd form, it is the fastest, most powerful Accord made. And of course the 7th gen gets better mileage with that little V6. The bigger 3.5L engine producing more power requires more fuel. Doesn't get any simpler than that.
Oh ok I see now, it makes sense about the 3.0L and 3.5L topic. Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have an 07 6-6 and tend to get really good mileage as well. Typically 25 in the city and 28-32 on the hwy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
436 Posts
Go with the 6-6......who needs VCM:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20