Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unlike some other forums I've been on, this forum seems mostly devoid of information and experiences surrounding the VCMTuner II in favor of the S-VCM, so I decided I'd start a thread talking about my experience. I will update this thread when I have to mess with the unit for some reason or it fails.

For starters, I figured I'd mention why I chose it over the S-VCM, which is technically cheaper.
  • When shipping cost from Canada was considered, the price difference went from around $40 to $10-15. Keep in mind this was before the recent price increase of the VCMTuner II from $130 to $140.
  • The VCMTuner II has extra features that I felt were worth the extra cost, namely CARB compliance and the idle bypass, the latter of which makes it truly set and forget, as you don't have to touch it even for services like CKP or idle relearns.
  • The biggest reason: I have more faith in the build quality and long-term reliability of VCMTuner II compared to S-VCM. I have seen numerous reports on this forum and others of the S-VCM failing after a couple years, and the symptoms it exhibits when it has failed, such as stalling the engine, didn't really inspire confidence. Although the maker of S-VCM was good about offering replacements for these units, it was a hassle I didn't want to deal with. Outside of the identified batch of recalled units, I have only seen one or two reports of failed VCMTuner II units, so I have no reason to question its reliability.

My experience with using it on my 2012 Accord V6 was very smooth and straightforward. I finalized the deal for my Accord on July 11th, and the next restock of VCMTuner II was scheduled for the following Monday, July 18th. So I got up early then and placed my order with regular shipping. Coming from California to Texas, it took 5 days, and after receiving the car on July 21st, I received the unit on July 23rd.

The box was smaller than I was expecting, but everything was packaged nicely with enough padding.

Included with the package was the unit itself, a folded up instruction manual, a packing list, a velcro strip, and the wing nut for mounting.

The instruction manual was identical to the one posted on the vcmtuner.com website, though the one in the package was printed in black and white while the one online is in color, and I will say that the black and white printing made the included photos of the installation location pretty much useless. I didn't need these photos as I had a good idea of what I was doing when installing it, but for someone who's less experienced, I'd recommend using the PDF copy online.

Installation went without a hitch, it only took me 3-5 minutes to do, and a lot of that time was me removing the nut on the battery terminal. I did make sure to leave the car parked with the hood open for around 45 minutes before beginning installation to make sure the ECU was asleep and not monitoring the ECT1 circuit. I left the hood open so I wouldn't need to open the door later and possibly wake everything back up.

The ECT1 harness wire on the unit was a good length as was the power wire. Mounting was also no problem with the bendable clamp and the wing nut on the rear battery J-bolt.

Here's a photo of the completed installation. Outside of the battery wire sticking out a bit, it's a very clean install with nothing that stands out as an aftermarket addon:
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Cable Wire Automotive exterior

I went on a test drive after installation and everything was perfect. Because I let the car sit for 45 minutes, there was no CEL after installation and I never saw the ECO light. I have an OBD-2 scan tool, so I used it to verify the ECT1 reading that the computer was seeing, and the VCMTuner II held it steady at precisely 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

As of this post, it has been over 5 months and 3,000 miles since installation. It has been used for both city and highway driving (including trips >100 miles) in all kinds of weather conditions (including sitting outside in the summer heat and the winter chill) and I have experienced no issues to this point. Like I mentioned previously, I will post an update here if this changes at all.

Overall, I am 100% confident I made the right decision picking this unit over S-VCM and I have no regrets. With that said, I don't hate the S-VCM, my cousin has had one for just under a year on his Odyssey and he hasn't had any issues either.

8th Gen Believer
My S-VCM failed after 2 years. The company sent me a new one at no charge, which is nice, but I don't want to deal with this. I'm a 'set it and forget it' guy.

Registered
I didn't read the whole thing but Incase you didn't mention it, it's something important to note. The VCM Tuner II unlike S VCM is made with automotive grade parts that can easily withstand the Voltage surges put through the device during starting the engine. The SVCM is not made with any automotive grade parts which is why they very often fail. I spoke with Brock, the owner of VCM tuner II and forget all the exact temperature limits and specifications that he had told me, but that is why S VCM Fails and VCM Tuner II Doesn't. It's built to withstand the surges and high temperatures which the SVCM Is not.

I'm now running two VCM Tuner II and have been happy with both, no issues in 1 and 5 months so far.

8th Gen Believer
S-VCM failed after two-three years. The owner sent me another unit no charge, which was nice. I don't think I want to mess with this every couple of years so will try Tuner ll

VCM DELETE
If my S-VCM fails again, id likely try this product- with one thing....

I have the same car, same engine and am on my 2nd S-VCM, the company will send you a free one if previous breaks.
So if they want to keep sending me replacement units, I cant say no.

Registered
If my S-VCM fails again, id likely try this product- with one thing....

I have the same car, same engine and am on my 2nd S-VCM, the company will send you a free one if previous breaks.
They can send all these free replacements because it probably cost them $5 to make each one with the low quality cheap china parts and they charge $95 for it.

Reactions: WiiMaster

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At what point does it become a hassle to keep swapping them out though? Especially since you'd be operating with VCM active while waiting for the replacement.

Reactions: Hudouc
1 - 8 of 8 Posts