Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is pretty much a vent thread as I'm sure it is doing what it should. (No pun intended)

I am very disappointed in the heater in my 2013 Accord EX. The car never gets warm or even hot inside, maybe luke warm at best. This is my 5th car with auto climate control and I set the temp and leave it in "AUTO" but it just never seems to get there. If I put it on "80" the fan runs on high and pumps out warm air, but not hot air. The surfaces in the car do not get warm. This may be a deal breaker for me as I do a lot of skiing and need a car that gets hot inside. My daughter is always complaining that she is always cold in the Accord and that it "Does not get as hot as the old red car did" (Magnum)

This is very disappointing as our Odyssey will turn into a sweat box even in these sub-zero temps we have been seeing. To the point that I often turn it down to 68 after a short bit.

Jay

·
Registered
330 Posts
My car gets warm enough. Nothing like being able to keep the temp at 68 though. What Ill do is put the temp at like 85, turn re-circ off, AC-off and it warms up pretty nicely. My morning commute in Albany is only like 2 1/2 miles to campus and Im usually have warm air in like 45 seconds.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This is pretty much a vent thread as I'm sure it is doing what it should. (No pun intended)

I am very disappointed in the heater in my 2013 Accord EX. The car never gets warm or even hot inside, maybe luke warm at best. This is my 5th car with auto climate control and I set the temp and leave it in "AUTO" but it just never seems to get there. If I put it on "80" the fan runs on high and pumps out warm air, but not hot air. The surfaces in the car do not get warm. This may be a deal breaker for me as I do a lot of skiing and need a car that gets hot inside. My daughter is always complaining that she is always cold in the Accord and that it "Does not get as hot as the old red car did" (Magnum)

This is very disappointing as our Odyssey will turn into a sweat box even in these sub-zero temps we have been seeing. To the point that I often turn it down to 68 after a short bit.

Jay
Should be some good trade-in values for your Accord then? In the meantime, just use the Odyssey for winter driving and switch to the Accord when the weather warms up. :thmsup:

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Mine was nice and toasty after a few minutes today in <20 degree weather. I usually pump the temp to max (85) and crank the fan to high once it starts getting warm enough to do so. I've never had Auto climate control before the Accord so I haven't really tried to use it yet.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Jay
Did you check your coolant level? Open the radiator cap open and check if you have full amount of the coolant fluid.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Did you check your coolant level? Open the radiator cap open and check if you have full amount of the coolant fluid.
When the engine is cold, obviously (for newbies that may stumble upon this thread years from now).

Wonder if member HondaTech can shed light into this? If there is enough coolant and the thermostat isn't doing weird things, could it be a calibration issue?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Maybe a faulty thermostat? Miscalibrated temp selector? This is not normal, my EX gets very warm (hot). I would bring it to the dealer for a shake down.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
idk, perhaps the owner with perceived poor heat should chart the temperature? I'd expect at least 130*F from the center vent at idle, mid fan speed.

gone are the days of a water valve. how there are blend doors >.>

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You mention setting the temp to 80. If that's as high as you've gone, you're missing out on 10 more degrees of heat. As soon as the engine temp gauge has moved about 1/4 of the way to normal temp, I turn my temp up to "Hi" and it's gets very toasty in a matter of a few minutes. I don't use AUTO setting in the winter. I know my area doesn't see below-zero temps, but you might try turning off auto and setting the temp to "Hi."

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
idk, perhaps the owner with perceived poor heat should chart the temperature? I'd expect at least 130*F from the center vent at idle, mid fan speed.

I can give that a shot. What kind of ambient outside temp should I be doing this in? I dont think I want to try it tonight when it's -5F out.

Jay

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine was nice and toasty after a few minutes today in <20 degree weather. I usually pump the temp to max (85) and crank the fan to high once it starts getting warm enough to do so. I've never had Auto climate control before the Accord so I haven't really tried to use it yet.
You mention setting the temp to 80. If that's as high as you've gone, you're missing out on 10 more degrees of heat. As soon as the engine temp gauge has moved about 1/4 of the way to normal temp, I turn my temp up to "Hi" and it's gets very toasty in a matter of a few minutes. I don't use AUTO setting in the winter. I know my area doesn't see below-zero temps, but you might try turning off auto and setting the temp to "Hi."
Thanks for the tips, guys. I've tired "HI", 86, 85 and 80. The car never gets warm enough inside that I get that feeling of "oh, it's warm enough now that I can turn it down" and also if I put it at any thing above 78 in auto mode that it never gets warm enough inside to slow the fan speed down below medium high.

When the car is at operating temp it is at the full line on the expansion tank. I was never compelled enough to actually open the expansion tank.

Jay

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you check the cabin air filter? If clogged, you will not get optimal heat or cool air.
I can give that a try. It seems like it is moving a good qty of air, just that it's not that hot.

Jay

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ok, I just tried this in the driveway. With an ambient outside temp of -11F it was putting out 129F. I'd say that it is right on point given the outside temp.

Here's some other tests I did:

Driving-HI-MidFan-CenterVent = 141F

Idle-HI-MidFan-CenterVent-Recirc= 148F

Is it possible that the hot air could be escaping from the car while driving? Ie: getting sucked out from a pressure differential?

Jay

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
80??? OMG I'd die lol I keep mine no higher than 75. Tonight the outside temp said 14, I ran the car for ~2 min. and drove off. I had heat within a half mile.

I also parked the car on 12/29, outside and left until 1/1 11pm started with frost on it. Within 3 min. the back window was clear and I had warm air. I always use AUTO. Maybe I'm just hot blooded lol

·
Banned
784 Posts
Ok, I just tried this in the driveway. With an ambient outside temp of -11F it was putting out 129F. I'd say that it is right on point given the outside temp.

Here's some other tests I did:

Driving-HI-MidFan-CenterVent = 141F

Idle-HI-MidFan-CenterVent-Recirc= 148F

Is it possible that the hot air could be escaping from the car while driving? Ie: getting sucked out from a pressure differential?

Jay
So you feel cooler because the winter air is dry even though it is blowing out 141F.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
What I noticed is that, it takes longer for the car to warm up(sitting in one spot or just driving at low RPM) if you have fan on high at cold start up. I believe due to the additional cooling from the cold air cause it to take even longer. If you ever get the car to go up to operating temp, its cold outside and sit in one spot for like 5 mins with the fan on high and hi temp. The thermostat gauge/meter, in the cluster, will drop 3/4 down to the bottom mark or 1/4 above the mark.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Doesn't AUTO also give bursts of cool air in order to prevent the windshield from fogging up?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So you feel cooler because the winter air is dry even though it is blowing out 141F.
I feel that this car just does not get warm inside, even after my 30mi all highway commute.

Oh, I did one other test.

Idle-Fan HI - Temp Hi - Center Vent - 120F.

Jay

1 - 20 of 62 Posts