Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed cracks on the driver side shaft. What is that thing for? An immediate repair needed? No noises noticed so far.

·
V4 Watch
796 Posts
I believe that is a vibration damper, looks like it has seen better days. See if you can shift its position along the axle and see if there is severe corrosion underneath. There is one thing I don't miss about living in Illinois, RUST!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Vibration Dampener. It is to your axle what wheel weights are to your wheels.

The only bad thing those can cause is the axle under it can rust through and break on you. That's why the chicken says to check it for rust. If your axle is nearly rusted completely through you'll need another. And you'll want one with a dampener. The only one I found with a dampener was some $40 axle from rockauto which happened to be brand new and worked like a champ.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It looks like there is a boot clamp next to the dampener, but no boot. Is the dampener normally under a boot?

·
Turbo lag
1,511 Posts
It looks like there is a boot clamp next to the dampener, but no boot. Is the dampener normally under a boot?
Damper is not under a boot. It is exposed exactly like that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'd be tempted to tear and cut the damper off to inspect the axle.

Then leave it off, if the axle is ok, expecting its absence to be unnoticeable in nearly all driving situations.

·
Part Hoarder Extrodinaire
403 Posts
Vibration damper. A "dampener" is something that adds moisture.

That said, cut that thing off and inspect your axle. I would be willing to bet you lost a sizable amount of material to rust, which will be exactly where that axle will fail.

·
Turbo lag
1,511 Posts
Yah, inspect the axle under the damper. You can live without the damper. When I was shopping for a new CV axle, only the OEM axles from Honda came with the dynamic damper. No other after market axles did.

Reactions: Kei_Loper

·
Part Hoarder Extrodinaire
403 Posts
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/dampener

noun

A thing that has a restraining or subduing effect.

‘television and booze, those twin dampeners of the revolutionary spirit’
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/damper

See 1.2 and 1.3 my friend. We're talking about suspension mechanics, damper is the correct term when describing said parts.

To your point though, I was off about the moisture part, as it isn't the first thing that's mentioned, but it's also not wrong.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,987 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
The rust has already forced the pieces of the Damper to come apart. My guess is your axle will most likely break at that point in the axle due to the rust. I suggest you replace that axle before it leaves you stranded and before the snow flies. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I replaced my driver side CV axle two weeks ago for the same reason. I also replaced the passenger CV axle 4 months ago because of the cracked damper. I installed cardone brand CV axles without damper from rockauto. Passenger side has been fine. Driver side has slight vibration when accelerating above 65 mph. It probably isn't as well balanced as OEM.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...... My guess is your axle will most likely break at that point in the axle due to the rust. I suggest you replace that axle before it leaves you stranded and before the snow flies. ...
You are right! This video seems to have proved it. Just that we had light snows at least twice, and my axle hasn't snapped yet.

I have restrained myself from driving it on the highway until it's replaced.

I replaced my driver side CV axle two weeks ago for the same reason. I also replaced the passenger CV axle 4 months ago because of the cracked damper. I installed cardone brand CV axles without damper from rockauto. Passenger side has been fine. Driver side has slight vibration when accelerating above 65 mph. It probably isn't as well balanced as OEM.
Are you aware of ones (except OEM) that come with dampers?

For all the snow-belters, check your drive axle damper! My 07V6 is among the youngest 7th gen. When trying to replace the struts today, I poked a screw driver under the damper, there is substantial amount of rust, if left alone, it for sure will snap.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is what under the rubber damper

Under the damper, the axle is rusted in "half", literally.

The diameter of the thinnest part is about 7/10th of the normal diameter.
7/10 x 7/10 = 49%, more than 1/2 of metal is rusted away!

·
Turbo lag
1,511 Posts

Under the damper, the axle is rusted in "half", literally.

The diameter of the thinnest part is about 7/10th of the normal diameter.
7/10 x 7/10 = 49%, more than 1/2 of metal is rusted away!
Now that's scary...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Is there any way to check underneath there? Isn't the damper pretty firmly secured to the axle?

I check my axles once a year for the "B" service, but I just check the boots for tears and any other obvious wear.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I did remove mine when I put on a new axle. Can't remember exactly how but I'm sure it's just held on with wire clamps. Cut them and slide it over. If you have rust paint it and then slide it back and clamp it back on.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,639 Posts
Get rid of that thing!! My '03 doesn't have them, and I don't notice any vibration. Probably too late like the OP if its been on there for 10 years.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts