Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Honda Accord 4 cyl. automatic that has 172,000 miles on it. When I am accelerating thru about 60 MPH the car starts to vibrate. While driving at a steady 60 MPH there is no vibration unless I start going up a hill that puts a load on the engine. The more load on the engine at this speed the greater the vibration. The vibration slowly decreases at faster speeds. What would create this condition? I just had 4 new tires put on the car with no change.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If tires are balanced properly and you still have vibrations, it could be something wrong in the suspension but most likely is going to be motor mounts. I would check those first since your saying the vibration occurs when you put stress on the engine.

That is a lot of miles on the original mounts they don't last that long especially in the V6, but since you have the I4 the vibrations can be worst.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Vibration under load that goes away when letting off the gas is classic symptom of a bad CV joint/axle

It would also be wise to check other suspension components as a well as engine mounts

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
+1 what Juan and mc said.....

Since you are a newbie I'd like to welcome you to the forum and point out that a quick way to "check" your CV axles is to lie on the ground with a flashlight (but in daylight) and shine the light where the rubber boot (oval shaped) is on that skinny little axle coming out of the transmission housing.

Often you will see a torn rubber boot, or a rubber boot with grease on it. That indicates that the boot failed- which means 99% of the time the axle inside failed too. Sometimes, you can't see the tear or any grease until you gently pry apart the accordion creases- but for that you may have to jack the car up and support it. Check each axle. They are the metal rods that come out of your trans and go right to each of the front wheels.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sometimes the axle wont show any obvious signs of being defective. That was the case with mine (drivers side). No torn boots or wobbling shaft

·
Registered
840 Posts
How did you knew they were bad? what were the symptoms?
From the reading I did, it seemed like the drivers side was the side more likely to go bad, so I replaced it and was fortunate it fixed the problem. I was having a vibration only when accelerating

1 - 7 of 7 Posts