Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vise Grips To Install Trunk Springs

Hi all--

In a previous thread I chided my local dealer for attempting to rip me off with a patronizing $766 rear wing spoiler install. So I quickly decided to order an OEM spoiler online and install it myself. Screw them.

Anyway, this is a question in reference to chanke4252's use of vise grips to get those damn replacement springs installed. Thus far it's been impossible to get these friggin' things in there. So, if you see this chanke4252 (or anyone else who's done it this way), how did you use vise grips to get the new springs popped back into place? Everything's installed and lined up properly, but there isn't enough clearance to use vise grip(s) to get the spring turned back into it's locked position. It's driving me mad. :furious:

All the rest of the work went fine, and I've the spoiler fully installed-- Looks great, and only took me 45 minutes of extremely careful work. Could probably have done it in less time except for my rather dull ~8mm drill bit that made the final hole expansion proceed slowly. 6 times.

Grrrrr-- :headbash: Just one stupid, simple spring problem that's holding up full completion of this easy install. I hate jobs that require a special tool that you'll only use once, only for that job, ever. But otherwise, with that lame tool you get those springs installed in 30 seconds, easy as pie... :rant: But I'm not going to spend 25 bucks on something I'll never use again...

·
Registered
591 Posts
I actually installed the trunk springs using a set of channel locks, but it sure wasn't easy. It took me a good hour before I finally got the springs into position. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I had the hardest time.:thumbsdow

As for the install, I can't really remember exactly how I got the springs in, but it did work. I recall using the smaller of the two channel locks that I had at the time (something like this). The smaller ones actually allowed for the necessary clearance to install the springs. To install the springs I actually took part of the hook end and inserted into the opening of the channel locks. I then rotated the channel locks in such a way as to put tension on the springs, and then pulled them a little further to lock them into place. I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but its tough for me to put into words as I don't remember exactly what I did. About the only thing I do remember was the enormously large amount of pressure I had to add to get those springs to lock into place. That made me incredibly nervous as I was afraid the spring was going to snap back and hit me.

If I had to do it all again, I would probably just bite the bullet and buy the special tool. They sure do make the install look quite easy in the college hills honda video when they use the tool.

Hope this helps and good luck with the install.:thmsup:

·
Registered
452 Posts
As Terps said, use the Channellocks (otherwise known as water pump pliers).

You need this type of plier which has the offset jaws...allows for the necessary leverage. Just think it through, grip firmly and the spring rods will go right in.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I just did this a couple of days ago and it took me about 5-10 minutes. Don't laugh but I used a claw hammer. I tried pliers and a crowbar but they were both hitting the top of the trunk before I could get enough leverage to remove the old springs. I used the claw on the hammer and was able to clear the top of the trunk. Be very careful if you try it this way since the hammer is sharp.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'll go take some pics real quick. The way you use the vice grips is not something that is really obvious, but it works very well. I am actually in the process of sound deadening and wanted to take some pics of that anyway. I'll post them back up in a little bit and show you how I gripped the springs to twist them into place. Be careful w/ those springs though, there's a lot of tension on them.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Getting those springs back in is the hardest part. I wasn't about to spend 25 bucks either on some dumb tool that probably costs 30 cents to make. The clawhammer idea sounds inventive, but I see images of a claw hammer flying out of the trunk only to embed itself in my forehead. That would probably be one of the more embarassing ways to eat it.

Here are the pics of how I used the vice grips to grip the spring. This picture was taken on the springon the right side gripping the spring with the squared end oriented on that end. Also, remember to support your trunk lid with something because as soon as the tension is off those springs, your trunk lid will come crashing down on your head. So anyway, grip it in the way that you see in the pictures. Make sure that you have the vice grips clamped down pretty hard as you don't want that spring coming loose. Hold the vice grips pretty hard and rotate the rear of the vice grips up and the nose of the vice grips down. Make sure you make note of which ways the springs are twisted and which one is on top and bottom as this makes a difference in how they operate. You don't want the springs to be twisted in such a way that they close your trunk extra hard, hah.

Hope that helps. [Be careful and let me know if you have any other questions. I'll check the thread later tonight.

Attachments

·
Swirl Free
2,679 Posts
*snip* The clawhammer idea sounds inventive, but I see images of a claw hammer flying out of the trunk only to embed itself in my forehead. That would probably be one of the more embarassing ways to eat it. *snip*
Thank you SOOO much for the best laugh I've had at least all day...that was great I am still laughing!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will Attempt Tonight! (11/1/07)

Thanks very much for the tips on that, chanke4252! Needless to say this has been an immensely frustrating problem!

Anyway, by the time I got back home last night it was already dark (and rather cold!), so I couldn't get to the job-- I'll attempt it as soon as I get home this early evening.

Our impending switch to Standard Time and cold, Winter weather means we're entering the time of the year where it's a lot more difficult to work on your car (since I sadly haven't a garage to work in). So yes, I'd really like to get this problem taken care of, ASAP!

Thanks again, and I'll let you guys know how it went...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success Report

Okay, all--

After further studying the College Hills Honda instructional video and chanke4252's pics, I was able to use my pair of vice grips to finally pop each trunk spring into correct position.

Part of my earlier trouble was that I had the correct color coded spring on each side, but had them fitted backwards. This made bending them into position absolutely impossible.

Anyway, even with the frustration, this was a worthwhile project. Was able to save the upside of 400 bucks, if anything!

Thanks for your help with this, all-- Particularly chanke4252!

Now I can go for a celebratory drive in my spiffed up Accord when Oregon kicks ASU's ass by 20, tomorrow! :D

Cheers! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry for bring back an old post, but this may help several people save some money. I installed the wing spoiler and was too cheap to get the tool. I did a search for the part# and found this posts. Thanks for posting great info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last Dec. I had my Honda Dealer replace my broken trunk spring. They replaced it with a grey spring $9.70 (the broken one was black). They also replaced a small white clip for $5.40. Someone wrote that the black spring is the heavy duty one. The job ran about $50.00. To-day the same spring just broke!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts