1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my car for 5 months and 5500 eventful miles. I have racked up:

A deep gash on TOP of my rear bumper
A scratch on the same bumper
A small round dent, driver side rear panel
A deep 3 inch scratch, front passenger side
And Friday after work, discovered a scuff on rear bumper

Now the worst part is I have YET to scratch my car or make contact with another vehicle myself. All five events happened without me there to see, and I'm properly p*****d the f**k off! If I want to scratch my car let me do it myself!

I would love DA's recommendation on both front and rear cameras I can hook up that will record the day's events. I don't care if it requires tapping wires. Just as long as it isn't too obvious.

Also welcome are security system recommendations, short of hiring a sniper on a rooftop.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
480 Posts
There is a long dash cam thread on here somewhere if you search for it. There's also a website called dash cam talk with an active forum and tons of information.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also welcome are security system recommendations, short of hiring a sniper on a rooftop.
Sounds like a plan to me! :banana:

Why wouldn't you want them to be obvious? I get wanting to catch someone "in the act", but wouldn't you rather prevent any damage from occurring?

I know here, even with video evidence, there's next to no chance of catching someone, and damage remains your problem.

My two cents there....

·
Registered
111 Posts

Now the worst part is I have YET to scratch my car or make contact with another vehicle myself. All five events happened without me there to see, and I'm properly p*****d the f**k off! If I want to scratch my car let me do it myself!

I would love DA's recommendation on both front and rear cameras I can hook up that will record the day's events. I don't care if it requires tapping wires. Just as long as it isn't too obvious.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113938

Lukas LK-7900, have parking mode that records upon motion or g force.
http://www.amazon.com/LUKAS-LK-7900-ACE-8GB-GPS/dp/B00C48TJ58/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_1

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Even if you have the evidence of them giving your car parking lot rash what are you going to do? You can sue them in small claims court, then try to collect. The camera may or may not have captured their license plate. If this happens at your work place your employer is not going to fire the perpetrator or do anything because it happened to me years ago. Dash cams only work in places like Russia where there is no working legal system. I don't know what they do there except post the video on Youtube.

Alarm systems are a waste of effort because they go off so frequently that people ignore them as false alarms. The only thing that you can do is park as far away from everyone else as you can. Usually if you park a long ways from the pack you will have more space and you will be sourounded by cars whose owners also care about their cars and they will be more careful. I feel your pain.

·
Banned
694 Posts
OP, you live in the city. Honestly, are you surprised by people smacking into your car?

I have family out in Brooklyn, and with my job I make tons of deliveries in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx...and quite honestly, I don't ever recall seeing the rear bumpers of cars that DIDN'T have battle scars. Those goofy looking "bumper guards" are probably your best defense.

As for the camera, I really doubt you would want to take the time and effort of taking everyone that nicks your car to court...you really want to hire a lawyer for such a small incident, EVERY time?

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks in advance.
How about a simpler suggestion? I got my 2013 accord 3 weeks ago but before then I owned a 97 Accord. Sometimes I would go to take a trip with my 97 and I would see a strange scratch on my door. Other times I would see a scratch and a dent. After like 3-6 weeks there were like 4-5 heavy dents and scratches. So when I bought my new Accord I was very apprehensive. I did not want the same thing happening to it. So what did I do? First I talked to my neighbors. They commented on my Accord and I thanked them and asked them about themselves. First I figured my neighbors were scratching my 97 so that is why I started being more friendly to them. I also started going outside at Random times to check on my car. Secondly when going to grocery stores or restaurants I started parking further away and I started also parking next to really nice luxury autos. All of this **keeping my fingers crossed** has helped me. You can set up a hidden camera but unless you know where this is happening it will not help much.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
How about a simpler suggestion? I got my 2013 accord 3 weeks ago but before then I owned a 97 Accord. Sometimes I would go to take a trip with my 97 and I would see a strange scratch on my door. Other times I would see a scratch and a dent. After like 3-6 weeks there were like 4-5 heavy dents and scratches. So when I bought my new Accord I was very apprehensive. I did not want the same thing happening to it. So what did I do? First I talked to my neighbors. They commented on my Accord and I thanked them and asked them about themselves. First I figured my neighbors were scratching my 97 so that is why I started being more friendly to them. I also started going outside at Random times to check on my car. Secondly when going to grocery stores or restaurants I started parking further away and I started also parking next to really nice luxury autos. All of this **keeping my fingers crossed** has helped me. You can set up a hidden camera but unless you know where this is happening it will not help much.
Parking further away also is good for your health and parking next to luxury cars is good for your mental health. It makes mebfeelmgood to park next to Jags and MBs. :D

·
Banned
694 Posts
Parking further away also is good for your health and parking next to luxury cars is good for your mental health. It makes mebfeelmgood to park next to Jags and MBs. :D
It's a false sense of security. I know in NY, most people that own Mercedes, BMWs, Audis and Jaguars are leasing them, and don't give a rat's ass about them. Beware.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
It's a false sense of security. I know in NY, most people that own Mercedes, BMWs, Audis and Jaguars are leasing them, and don't give a rat's ass about them. Beware.
Thanks for the heads up. When I visit the NY metro area I don't drive if I am going into the city. I don't even like driving rental cars in NYC. You're reply is one of the reasons that I left NYC 48 years ago. it's also why I would only live there if I could make enough money to live in Manhattan and have a doorman hail me a cab daily. My Ferrari would stay safely inside my building's garage for my weekend drive to my beach house in the Hamptons. NYC is not like any other place and hasn't changed much for the better for car owners since I moved away. The only place I have been to with worse traffic and worse drivers is São Paulo Brazil. Fortunately, I haven't visited Mumbai or Lagos which may be worse.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. When I visit the NY metro area I don't drive if I am going into the city. I don't even like driving renal cars in NYC. This thread is one of the reasons that I left NY 48 years ago. it's also why I would only live there if I could make enough money to live in Manhattan and have a doorman hail me a cab daily while my Ferrari stays safely inside my building's garage for my weekend drive to my beach house in the Hamptons. NYC is not like any place else and hasn't changed much for the better for car owners. The only place I have been to with worse traffic and worse drivers is São Paulo Brazil.
Working in many different repair shops, the most abused and neglected cars I'll see are the likes of Mercedes, BMW and Audis. Their wheels caked in brake dust, on top of being curbed to death. Dents, scratches everywhere and they'll treat the inside like a trash bin. Coffee/drink stains all by the cup holders and cigarette ashes everywhere if they smoke. Plus, they NEVER wash them, so the paint usually feels like sandpaper.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There's unspoken rules to prevent damage from poor parking.... park way out in the sticks of course. Doesnt take much longer to walk and exercise is good. Also, look to park next to another car that's well kept. A car someone must care about. Sports cars like porsches, m's, lotuses etc. Classics, any car that has obvious enthusiast upgrades, older cars with flawless paint and no damage. Also, parking where only one other car can park next to you, like next to a flower bed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
To me my board!
115 Posts

There will always be a-holes that park too close, use their bumpers as curb feelers and open their doors wildly, not caring about the vehicle next to them.

Delivery drivers, Public Service drivers, even the Police are some of the worst as they are in-and-out and usually their vehicles are pieces of crap with industrial strength bumpers... hitting your car means nothing to them, especially if no one sees them.

I lived in NY for a few years and it amazed me how many city drivers park by feel, meaning they bump and tap other cars to let them know how close they are. Most drivers only think of their cars as transportation... a ding or scrape here or there doesn't bother them. They also drive the same way. I can't count the number of times I was tapped/bumped from behind while in traffic. I don't know where they idiots thought I was going to go with another car right in front of me but that didn't stop them. Look at the front plate of just about any NY city driver for proof.

Owning a car in a densely populated area means getting dings and scrapes. They only other option is taking up more than one parking spot and risk getting keyed or vandalized as payback for parking like an a-hole.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've mentioned this to other family and folks about parking at a distance away with a new car only to find some beast parked next to it when I returned. This happened a few times. I didn't know if they parked out there because they enjoyed the walk, annoy the owner of the vehicle, or just wanted to look over the vehicle up close...who knows! No damage from dings but the door panels were a composite material anyway and could absorb a little shock without denting. This has happened to my sister and others that this happened with. Due to a recent health setback, I can no longer park at those distances but usually find angle parking spots at shopping centers around here that have ample angle parking between the cars and will try to park next to a wall, hedge or barrier to at least limit the liability.

It's going to happen no matter what you do, it's just a matter of time. The first dent or scrape/scratch usually hurts the most though. After that it just becomes natures course. My last trade-in fared pretty well after many years. Taking precautions will help a little but won't eliminate the inevitable, only delay it a bit!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Due to a recent health setback, I can no longer park at those distances but usually find angle parking spots at shopping centers around here that have ample angle parking between the cars and will try to park next to a wall, hedge or barrier to at least limit the liability.
If I had a health problem I would ask my physician to order me a Handicap parking permit. Handicap spaces are much larger to allow for wheel chair access which reduces the probability of a door ding.

You are right, no matter how careful you are somewhere, sometime before you sell your car, you will get a door ding. I don't know why they don't make the door panels out of a composite material that resists dings.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the useful responses all. I have no intention of taking anyone to court, I just want to see what others, and possibly myself, are doing wrong. It is my belief that some of the neighborhood delinquent teens caused some of it. I'd wanted to collect evidence first but I guess I don't NEED it to bring it up to my neighbors at the block association meeting.

@Flyboy - I park 1/4 -3/4 mile away from work as it is. So I'm not afraid to walk. I don't even park under trees to avoid sap oil, branches, and birds.

@Chaosweaver - Friday, I parked several feet in from the end of an intersection's crosswalk because I was in a rush. No way for another car to park behind me.. yet I found a scuff there on my rear bumper.

I am the type that does a walk-around every time I'm about to drive, checking for damage and checking the tires. I've owned cars before but never seen anything like this. It's utterly abnormal! No one in their right mind could have tried to park behind me, yet I found a scuff, not near the edge at all. I literally inspect other's bumpers I'm parking near, to see if they're slam-parkers.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
I have parked far from the madding crowd, only to have some jerk park so close to the driver's door that I had to crawl over the console to get into the driver's seat.

Putting cameras in your car isn't such a bad idea, but if they are conspicuous, as someone said they should be, then someone will break in and steal your camera.

A camera might not catch everyone in the act and it might not lead to any legal action, but you can never be too sure, especially if it's some pimply-faced teenager in your neighborhood getting his rocks off.

Someone tossed cooking grease all over my Accord.

I'd love to have a picture of that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One of the few useful suggestions I've read in a recent post that would even come close to a possible deterrent is that perimeter alarm that goes off when something breaches the proximity area. I've encountered those before and I just wanted to move away because it was annoying to listen to. I don't know how effective it would be for somebody that had the intent to "scratch and run" though, or the additional expense to have it installed. Plus as others had mentioned, folks don't pay much attention to alarms these days. Sadly I really don't think there's an effective solution for those that target your car for a ding or scratch..

·
Registered
923 Posts
As much as I did not want to break the lines of my car, I put the side moldings on for just this reason. You can only do so much. I park as far away as I can in parking lots and yet sometimes I come out and someone is right next to me even though the lot is all but empty? It ****s.

Fixed income so my cars need to last and stay as nice as I can keep them. My son just got a 48,000 mile PT Cruiser GT turbo 10 years old that was pristine. Well except for 1 door ding that happened in the first year I owned it.

People just do not care.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I had a health problem I would ask my physician to order me a Handicap parking permit. Handicap spaces are much larger to allow for wheel chair access which reduces the probability of a door ding.

You are right, no matter how careful you are somewhere, sometime before you sell your car, you will get a door ding. I don't know why they don't make the door panels out of a composite material that resists dings.
Flyboy, I may consider the sticker in the future though not quite there yet.

I do remember Saturn having used some kind of composite material on the body but I remember seeing paint flaking in areas like the bumpers. I never had any problems with paint issues on the polymer composite they used on the vette, but obviously more $$ went into the paint. Actually the car being so low I was expecting paint scratches from other doors meeting well above the side body moldings but I got lucky I guess, never a problem..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts