Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had Best Buy install a Viper 4115V1 Remote start on my 2005 Honda Accord EX V6. On cold mornings it wouldn't start. It will turn over the engine but it wouldn't crack long enough for it to start. I took it back to Best Buy and they attached the Tachometer wire but I don't think they did it correctly.
1) He said they couldn't find a Tach signal so they ran a wire under the hood to the injector (I think that is what he said).
2) I don't think they did the learning function or changed the programming mode from the default virtual tach setting.
3) I got underneath there last night because they also didn't run the valet button so I could check the programming myself. I hooked up the valet button and tried the learning function myself but didn't think about checking to see if they changed the virtual tach setting.

I plan on looking at this more tonight but I have two questions since this is my first experience with a remote start, I'm seeking wisdom:
1) Should I remove the wire they ran from under the hood back to the remote start? Seems shady to me
2) Is there another place to get the tach signal or should I just leave it off?
3) should I just change the crank timing to something longer? How long is too long?

Ultimately what is the best way to set this up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Acoustics BSEE
1,560 Posts
there is usually a blue tach wire near the battery, not terminated on anything. there are a few other locations for a tach wire. you can find it with a Haynes manual.

make sure the fuel pump circuit is powered on one of the ign outputs on the Viper. forgetting to power the fuel pump will cause the car to not start when cold but start when warm. you should hear the fuel pump prime when you move the key to ign and you should have the same sound when the RS functions. if not, then the Haynes manual will show you where to power the fuel pump circuit from one of the Viper ign outputs.

everytime the RS fails it stores a code. you can pull the code to see why it didn't start. you'll need the programming/install manual that came with the alarm. if you didn't get it, go to BB and get it from them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuel pump is definitely priming I can hear that with the remote start I will look tonight for the blue tach wire. I was hoping there was a tach wire under the dash so there isn't a wire ran through the door to the hood. I have the install manual I'll look for the error codes also.

I assume the preferred configuration is to have the tach wire and to not increase the crank time setting?

·
Super Moderator
3,429 Posts
There is a tach wire at the ECU inside the car. I've never had to use that wire since I always use a data bypass.

I actually increased the crank time on my most recent unit to 1.2 seconds or whatever it is. I get a no start very seldom when it's extremely but it will crank again and start right up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts