Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the starter on a '09 Accord EX, 2.4L. When I first turned car on after the replacement, everything fire up great. Only issue is the VAS light and check engine light came on. Pulled the code and it was a P2135.

I did a little googling and decided to disconnect negative terminal from battery for a min to reset it in case it was a faulty signal. Reconnected and both VAS and CEL went away.

My wife and I drove prob 5 miles in the car to a friend's house, no issue, then on the way back VAS and CEL popped up again. Got home and pulled the code again, and this time it was a P1129. I noticed when we pulled into our driveway and shifted to park the engine was idling at a higher RPM (1500-2000)

My first thought was perhaps I didn't plug in a sensor fully...but I'm pretty sure I plugged everything back in and spent a little more time making sure the clips were all snapped into place.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anything I should be taking a closer look at?

· Car so nice, bought twice
4,733 Posts
Both CELs seem to be related to something not getting plugged back in properly. P2135 is throttle position mismatch and P1129 is MAP sensor. 1500rpm is some sort of "limp" mode where the car will idle at even if the throttle body is completely unplugged (I tested this last week). Did you damage wiring while disconnecting those items?

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think so, but I did have to wrestle those plugs to disconnect them. But to my knowledge none of them were damaged, but I guess it's not out of the question.

I actually did an ECU reset by disconnecting neg terminal of battery for about an hour, reconnected then after starting it up let the engine idle for 10 min. Cleared the codes from before and drove it yesterday, and it drove fine with no codes triggered. Granted, I was being a little easier on it, so no hard accelerations, revving or braking.

If it turns out wiring was damaged, I guess should I take in to the Honda dealer? Electrical work is beyond me and something I definitely don't want to get wrong!

· Car so nice, bought twice
4,733 Posts
I don't think so, but I did have to wrestle those plugs to disconnect them. But to my knowledge none of them were damaged, but I guess it's not out of the question.

I actually did an ECU reset by disconnecting neg terminal of battery for about an hour, reconnected then after starting it up let the engine idle for 10 min. Cleared the codes from before and drove it yesterday, and it drove fine with no codes triggered. Granted, I was being a little easier on it, so no hard accelerations, revving or braking.

If it turns out wiring was damaged, I guess should I take in to the Honda dealer? Electrical work is beyond me and something I definitely don't want to get wrong!
For every code there's a published procedure of troubleshooting. My service manual collection covers it: https://unknowntransportation.com:8443/Service/Accord/ (use the browser that is linked at the top of that page)

At some point it'll start saying "check for continuity between this and this" or "measure resistance between this and that". It's usually pretty rare that connections or wiring goes bad but it's plausible, especially if you pulled on the wires to get the connectors off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.