Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday, I'm having my VTC actuator replaced for the 3rd time. I'm also going to have the solenoid replaced. Has anyone replaced the solenoid and stopped the rattle at cold start?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
VTC solenoid

YES

ez

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
ive had mine replaced once before 3 years ago... i think im starting to slightly have the problem again but only when i am parked on a hill. im out of warranty now so i would have to pay

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I hope this will stop mine from rattling, too. I was hoping to have mine replaced today, but the dealership ordered the wrong part. I've been rescheduled for Thursday. We'll see of this works.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I took my car to the shop yesterday (not the dealership as I'm out of warranty) to have my VTC actuator and solenoid replaced to hopefully fix the engine rattle. I got a call from the mechanic yesterday afternoon - he'd gotten into the engine and found out that the cam chain was improperly aligned, it was rubbing against the cylinder head and had actually worn a small grove into the head. At least one of the cam chain guides was broken as well. I now need a tensioner and a new cam chain guide. Other than routine maintenance, oil changes, tire rotations, etc., the only mechanics that worked on my car were the ones at the dealership. I'm wondering now if that was the problem all along. I have a feeling this is going to be expensive....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Take pictures of the damaged parts and head over to the dealer and they if they don't make things right then call Honda Customer Service.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take pictures of the damaged parts and head over to the dealer and they if they don't make things right then call Honda Customer Service.
Done and Done. The mechanic was going to take photos yesterday and I already have a case number with Honda Customer Service.

·
Registered
534 Posts
CR, I remember your past threads on this problem. I said in response to your having complained that you'd had to have this repair done a second time that, IMHO, the first repair had been done incorrectly. Clearly, that's the case.

You should raise hell, but I doubt that you'll be reimbursed without a lot of additional effort on your part. If you have a small claims court process in your state, you need to work it for all it's worth. I hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CR, I remember your past threads on this problem. I said in response to your having complained that you'd had to have this repair done a second time that, IMHO, the first repair had been done incorrectly. Clearly, that's the case.

You should raise hell, but I doubt that you'll be reimbursed without a lot of additional effort on your part. If you have a small claims court process in your state, you need to work it for all it's worth. I hope this works out for you.
Yeah, I remember your prior post that the repair was incorrect. It does appear you were correct.

The customer service rep I spoke with yesterday seemed sympathetic but I don't expect a whole lot from Honda, quite honestly. If nothing else, maybe my experience will help someone else who's had their actuator replaced more than once. I work in the court system, so any small claims matters shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you for the well wishes, I appreciate them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after a new (3rd) VTC actuator, VTC oil valve solenoid, cam chain, tensioner, cam chain guide, and $610.00 for parts and labor - still have the "chain through a pipe" rattle at cold start. Anybody got any thoughts on what else this could be?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
My 2011 EX I4 has made a metallic ruckus when cold since day 1. 22k miles later, and I haven't had any issues other than the noise which seems to quiet down once the engine warms up. I wonder if the timing chain on these engines is just noisier than usual when the engine is cold? I would say it's some kind of lubrication issue on a cold start, but I'm sure that would've led to major issues long before now if that were the case.

That said, I had a 2010 EX I4 prior to this one and I honestly don't recall it ever making the same metallic grinding sound during warm-up that this one does. I honestly don't think my issue is the VTC, as I've heard sound clips of that problem and it sounds much louder and more severe than my idle rattle and it only happens for a second or two versus mine which lasts for minutes.

The one key difference between my 2010 and 2011, besides whatever friction-reduction measure they implemented in the newer engine's internals, is the engine oil. The 2010 used Honda 5W20 dino oil, while the 2011 uses Honda 0W20 synthetic. I wonder if there's a correlation between the sound and the oil used?

I really don't know what could be causing this noise. The dealer gave me the usual "it's normal" response and sent me on my way. I know this doesn't help you at all, but if mine breaks down, I hope it does so after I turn it in in April...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 2011 EX I4 has made a metallic ruckus when cold since day 1. 22k miles later, and I haven't had any issues other than the noise which seems to quiet down once the engine warms up. I wonder if the timing chain on these engines is just noisier than usual when the engine is cold? I would say it's some kind of lubrication issue on a cold start, but I'm sure that would've led to major issues long before now if that were the case.

That said, I had a 2010 EX I4 prior to this one and I honestly don't recall it ever making the same metallic grinding sound during warm-up that this one does. I honestly don't think my issue is the VTC, as I've heard sound clips of that problem and it sounds much louder and more severe than my idle rattle and it only happens for a second or two versus mine which lasts for minutes.

The one key difference between my 2010 and 2011, besides whatever friction-reduction measure they implemented in the newer engine's internals, is the engine oil. The 2010 used Honda 5W20 dino oil, while the 2011 uses Honda 0W20 synthetic. I wonder if there's a correlation between the sound and the oil used?

I really don't know what could be causing this noise. The dealer gave me the usual "it's normal" response and sent me on my way. I know this doesn't help you at all, but if mine breaks down, I hope it does so after I turn it in in April...
Mine didn't start day one, but close. My first replacement came at about 13K, the second around 20K. I'm now at 40 1/2K. I'm stumped; I'm not a mechanic, but I'd agree that it seems like it would be a lubrication issue. I've run conventional oil, synthetic, synthetic blend, 5W-20, 0w-20, Castrol, Honda, Pennzoil, Mobil1 and no considerable difference. I will say the sound was the worst with the 0w-20 full synthetic. The only constant is cold weather. If it's about about 40 degrees, it likely won't rattle. I've never heard it in the summer or any relatively warm weather. I can't believe this is "normal", if it were "normal" I would think it would do it every time it was cranked regardless of the weather. I know vehicles can behave differently in cold weather, but still. But again, I'm not a mechanic. This is very frustrating.

I'm sorry you're having these issues as well, especially on a newer model. I hope yours lasts until you turn it in, too. I didn't lease mine, so it's mine - engine rattle and all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You'll get nothing from Honda..they know it's a problem but continue to deny it..09 Honda Accord. . $1300 for VTC and timing chain ... Caroline from corporate Honda says there are no known issues with VTC problems on 08 and 09 Honda Accords. Feel free to call her 1 800-999-1009. Ext 117739...she'll be happy to tell you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts