Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Recently been doing some research on how to build an na setup for cheap. I considered a k20 head on my k24, with some mild bottom end work. I have a friend that has a k24 swapped ek and he spent just over 6grand on the k20\k24 deal.

I found another setup called vtec killer. (Locked vtec) basically my engine only has vtec on the intake can, this setup would also add vtec to the exhaust cam but the car would essentially always be in vtec. I considered pistons and rods aswell since these k24 do not like high revs. This setup would be around 3k and it’s a strictly oem part build.

Has anyone here got any experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
12,681 Posts
How much horsepower, and at which rpm range, will be added by spending "around" $3,000?

·
ziptie princess
1,053 Posts
How much horsepower, and at which rpm range, will be added by spending "around" $3,000?
depends on the cam profile, CR of pistons, and whatever else the "around" $3000 includes (ECU? tuning? supporting mods?) but my guess is mayyyyyyybe 30 ground squirrels up in the rev range.

idk, if you're dead set on keeping a K24 and making power with it, it seems like putting it on the bottle would be the most cost-effective way

·
Doritos Spinner
3,789 Posts
Earn coolness points and admiration from buddies and people on the internets.
Or become one of those failed build threads people would see and shake their heads at.

IDK, 3k extra can definitely get you a V6 7th Gen and that's, what, a reliable 80 HP increase right there.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lmao. Some of you guys crack me up. Also 3k is nothing and this build is in the works. Thanks all. LOL

·
Super Moderator
12,681 Posts
So, no idea on the HP gains if you do the $3,000 vtec killer set-up? What about the $6,000 "ek" set-up? How much HP, and at which rpm range, will the $6K ek reveal itself?

How about reliability and mpg ratings? Any information on fuel savings?

·
DIY Kid/Hypermiler
795 Posts
Killing VTEC will get you a cool @$$ idle lope, but that is about it. It will destroy low end power and cause it to run poorly down low. My brother's miata currently has a vvt problem which does not allow the cam to return to the low rpm retarded position. It takes longer to start, idles rough, and stumbles/misfires at low rpms and high throttle. If you want VTEC on both sides, consider getting a K24A2 head from the 2004-2008 Acura TSX.

·
Banned
17 Posts
So, no idea on the HP gains if you do the $3,000 vtec killer set-up? What about the $6,000 "ek" set-up? How much HP, and at which rpm range, will the $6K ek reveal itself?

How about reliability and mpg ratings? Any information on fuel savings?
With kpro , k-swap hearders , intake manifold , throttle body , rdx 440 injectors , clutch and light weight flywheel... 230-250 depending on the tuner. A few of my friends have done this on k20 and they have held up for close to a year now. Reliability is there for a na all motor setup.

Also.. A 6k ek k24 swap will run you 250 easy with a good tuner and all those mods. I see gold with nearly half the price, i don't expect yall to.

Killing VTEC will get you a cool @$$ idle lope, but that is about it. It will destroy low end power and cause it to run poorly down low. My brother's miata currently has a vvt problem which does not allow the cam to return to the low rpm retarded position. It takes longer to start, idles rough, and stumbles/misfires at low rpms and high throttle. If you want VTEC on both sides, consider getting a K24A2 head from the 2004-2008 Acura TSX.
Considered this aswell. Also have your brother look into the valve on the side of his engine block. Replace or diagnose

·
Doritos Spinner
3,789 Posts
Lmao. Some of you guys crack me up. Also 3k is nothing and this build is in the works. Thanks all. LOL
Okay, whatever makes you happy, LOL.

FYI, J30A4/J30A5 makes about 240 BHP stock.

I'm outta here. @jimijam and the V6 crew can take care of this.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
The 2.4’s 99.1mm stroke imposes some serious limits. Piston speed is what limits power. At 7,100 rpm, that 99.1mm stroke would have a piston speed of more than 4,600 feet per second. It can’t rev much higher. That is the same as an RSX-S k20 at 8,200 rpm and almost as much as a F1 race car at 19,000 rpm (4,900 ft/sec.)

Adding a K20 head, with VTEC on intake and exhaust, will not get you to 8,200 rpm like on an RSX-S or Civic Si. You’d need mega-expensive forged internals, which would be a total waste of money. For 25% of what you need to spend on a N/A 2.4 to make it fast, you could buy a V6 Accord (or V8 Mustang or Camaro), all of which would still be faster.

@RickBlaine asked the right question. Where do you want to be when this ends? 210 hp at the wheels? A high 14-second quarter at 93 mph? Is that worth $3,000? A Honda or Toyota minivan will still walk away from you at a red light. And if you put $3,000 of experimental mods into the car, not only will it NOT increase the car’s value, it will probably decrease it. You’ll get nearly nothing for the car when you want to sell it.

If you want more power, sell this car now and buy what you want. A naturally aspirated 2.4 doesn’t have much upside power to gain, unless you violate any reasonable safety parameter, in which case you'll destroy the engine very rapidly. Also what transmission do you have? Is it a MT? If not, an automatic imposes yet another set of massive performance problems. Think through this before you spend your money.

·
Part Hoarder Extrodinaire
428 Posts
Hey all. Recently been doing some research on how to build an na setup for cheap.
Read: 'I watched some youtube videos of K-swapped Civics and now I want a fast 4-holer. I have no idea of what an actual, proper, N/A engine build costs, and I have no idea of what "cheap" means.'
I considered a k20 head on my k24, with some mild bottom end work. I have a friend that has a k24 swapped ek and he spent just over 6grand on the k20\k24 deal.
Confirmed.

I found another setup called vtec killer. (Locked vtec) basically my engine only has vtec on the intake can, this setup would also add vtec to the exhaust cam but the car would essentially always be in vtec. I considered pistons and rods aswell since these k24 do not like high revs. This setup would be around 3k:)lmao:) and it’s a strictly oem part build.

Has anyone here got any experience with this?
Nobody with any common sense has any experience with this, because it's a sucker's dream. The K-series in your Accord is the lazy, low-revving torque motor that was meant for an economy sedan, not a high-revving sports application like the TSX or CTR.

Save your money, enjoy your car how it is, and buy an RSX-S if you want to blow your hard earned cash on an NA build. The Accord, as a whole (read: A2/A8 engine, transmission, brakes, overall weight, etc.) does not lend well in any performance aspect.

·
Banned
178 Posts
The K-swapped civics are pretty expensive. Even Though the D-series aren't known for tuning, they are a great budget option. For $5000 You can get a whopping 500HP. I priced every part (Including the JDM VTEC D15, computer chip, and Turbo Kit) yesterday on Ebay and the total came out to be just under $5K. Just need a shell that comes with a stock ECU. Those can run from $300-$1000, depending on what you want.
All the parts are in the description.

Check this out:

And Also, The VTEC Killer application does not run for $3000. The cams and rockers are $300. Your gonna need some more parts, but not $2700 worth of parts. What do you mean $3K???

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts