Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Doritos Spinner
3,789 Posts
Actually, the more I read this, the more it hurts my head.

So this "VTEC killer" will make the car always use the higher lift profile, correct?

That's a pretty stupid idea. Anyone who has a basic understanding on how air flow works will see the problem immediately. Bigger opening at lower RPM actually decreases low-end torque and power because you decrease the air velocity.

And making a low torque, high RPM engine with a high lift profile makes even less sense. Imagine an S2000, but even harder to drive in the lower RPM range.

I can see people messing around with when VTEC engages for a reason, but using the high lift profile all the time is just plain stupid.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
Registered
878 Posts
^^ Agreed. VTEC maximizes the engines's powerband.

I can see VTEC Killer being used for reliability reasons in racing, where you're always at high RPM, but the VTEC system isn't unreliable to begin with. It's like someone created a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I think the majority of people do this so that the engine has a lope-y idle and make all the dude-bros in the parking gawk and yell "Yo, sick car, dawg!".

·
Super Moderator
12,681 Posts
“I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their BS. For those ten seconds or less, I’m free to kill Vtec and vape with my bros.” - Dominic Toretto

·
Part Hoarder Extrodinaire
428 Posts
The K-swapped civics are pretty expensive. Even Though the D-series aren't known for tuning, they are a great budget option. For $5000 You can get a whopping 500HP. I priced every part (Including the JDM VTEC D15, computer chip, and Turbo Kit) yesterday on Ebay and the total came out to be just under $5K. Just need a shell that comes with a stock ECU. Those can run from $300-$1000, depending on what you want.
All the parts are in the description.
I don't know if it's just old age or deep-rooted pessimism, but every single time I read someone doing a "budget build" with some pre-picked number ($5k) for some pre-determined power output (500hp) I always roll my eyes, because there's typically only a 5% success rate of sticking to both. There's always something that goes sideways or some unforeseen expense that pops up, or they "forget" to add in the cost of labor for certain things.

Not to say that it's totally impossible, but more often than not, people build time bombs rather than enduring cars when this stuff happens. At least we'll always have the entertainment value of threads like "I gotta prove to teh internetz that it can be done, so Imma stick weld my FleaBay turbski kit tuhgether with my Hazard Frigate weldr!" when people go up in smoke.

·
Super Moderator
12,681 Posts
If they could bump it up and achieve 510 HP, I would be interested....I need an edge against Johnny Tran and his wolfpack. They made Ted eat 40 weight and now Ted's tummy has an owie!

·
Registered
1 Posts
??

I am slightly confused... I thought Locked VTEC means that the primaries are always locked in vtec mode.
And the TODA VTEC killer cams eliminates VTEC all together?? Please correct me if I am wrong..

·
Super Moderator
12,681 Posts
Welcome to the forums, new member ncaccordk24 !!! Tell us about your ride.

Also, OP called it "killa", you are calling it "killer". Is this the same product?

·
Doritos Spinner
3,789 Posts
I am slightly confused... I thought Locked VTEC means that the primaries are always locked in vtec mode.

And the TODA VTEC killer cams eliminates VTEC all together?? Please correct me if I am wrong..
It doesn't matter what it does, it's a waste of money.

Locking it in low lift will make high-end power suffer.

Locking it in high lift and your car will take off like a slug from a stop light.

Lots of other cars use something like VTEC for a reason. My RX-8 has a 3-stage intake, and the idea behind it is exactly the same as VTEC.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
FWIW I met a dude with a whole pile of 7th Gen parts in his driveway. He claims to have ripped out the drive train and slapped in a V8.

He no longer owned it, I never saw it or asked about it cuz I didn't give a rats.

But ole home boy definitely built a VTec Killa none of y'all could dog on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love this thread. Resistance to the bastardization of an Accord using sound advice (buy a different car/trim level don't blow your $$$ on this junk). Although harsh and humorous the responses hopefully did OP a favor I'm sure there are plenty of places where he throws out the same question and it becomes a party of horrible ideas that would make Honda engineers/financial planners puke.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
21 - 38 of 38 Posts