Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2009 accord ex k24 with a salvage motor. Picked it up and while I'm checking over everything I'm noticing the vtec spool valve doesn't have every port plugged in. The passenger side port pointed directly up is plugged in however the port closer to the driver(also points straight up) isn't. I'm almost certain that the spool valve with 2 cylinders at the top is the correct system for the k24 09 accord however I'm not certain every port is used. Any information regarding the issue is appreciated.

· Turbo lag
3,015 Posts
The rocker arm oil control solenoid?

· Turbo lag
3,015 Posts
If so, only the PZEV engine has two solenoids, the Federal Emission ones only have one.
This is a bit confusing because the Federal Emission engines also has two plugs facing upwards, but after a bit of searching, it appears that actual plug for the VTEC rocker arm solenoid is on the driver side, the other plug is on the passenger side. On the PZEV, the plug for the actual VTEC rocker arm solenoid is now moved to the passenger side to make room for the exhaust rocker solenoid on the driver side. The plug on the passenger side on the Federal Emission engines is moved pointing backwards on the PZEV engines.

In conclusion, I think you have a PZEV engine in a Federal Emission car. Thus you don't have the plug for the exhaust rocker solenoid on the driver side.

Now, I hope the PZEV engine failsafes to both exhaust valves operating with no control to the solenoid, and not only one valve operating.

Reactions: WiiMaster

· Turbo lag
3,015 Posts
Yup, that's a PZEV engine with the twin solenoid. Exactly what I anticipated. I'm surprised that it works without any problems (I assume).

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I'm decently surprised aswell but these k series just stay alive. I can confirm it's got a k24z2 I've been using it as a daily for a few months while I tinker on an 8th gen si and both don't skip a beat as far as the motor. However I consider this a long term issue. The coupe specifically never came stock with the z2 and has has the capability of running, idling, shifting and daily-ing. I'm good with the local honda dealer as far as any questions go I'm gonna talk to them on Monday. May order a valve cover gasket or 2 tmr just to be able to do a quick cam check. If there's any uneven wear of my concern it'd be visible. Is there a possibility of ecu swap and harness swap or anything not expensive. Other than some time consumption? Motor has under 100k miles chassis at 164k and going

· Turbo lag
3,015 Posts
I wouldn't swap anything. Swapping ECUs and harnesses are gonna be far more expensive than just swapping motors.
The Z2 runs lower compression, so the coupe ecu should be able to cope without real problems. (Especially since both versions of the engine uses regular fuel in the Accords)
My primary concern would be figuring out what the PZEV motor defaults to, if it defaults to only one exhaust valve operating, then I'd be worried. Otherwise, I'd just leave it alone.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since it's not resorting to limp mode, I'm not even certain the car is aware of the situation. Any vtec codes throw engine light and honestly I'll even check my bases tmr that the engine light fuse is present. Even tho i think it'd go limp mode regardless of a functional engine light. If the solenoid doesn't possess power for vtec activation then I'm running on 12 valves I'd expect atleast. This at the very least means no vtec and no high gas mileage. The proper stock system has a single activation switch in the solenoid. The unfortunate present system has 2 activation switch ports. Without the full system powered up I'm not even sure it's regulating any present oil pressure... or just allowing right of passage to some. If it is somehow running half of the system then my cam profiles could be damaged above 2500 rpm and shifts are not the best in the trans. Will update in any outcome of this odd case lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts