Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: 2007 Accord EX-L 4cyl 5AT (CDN)

I've had a frustrating day with Wagner Thermoquiet replacement pads. According to Wagner, I could use either the MX914 or the QC914. Long story short, I have discovered that Wagner advises to use the wrong model number of their pads in relation to certain Accords, including my 2007 and, according to Amazon, certain 2008 models. I've now tried three different types of Thermoquiets indicated for the 2007 Accord, and none of them worked (I can't source the QC914 locally).

I'm running out of time to get this job done, so I'm thinking of just buying OEM pads from the dealer. I happen to be in a smaller community right now, so I don't have enormous choice for aftermarkets. My calipers and pads are original Nissin. Can I choose from either Nissin or Akebono, or must I use Nissin again? I keep hearing good things about Akebono....are the Nissin pads decent if I must use them?

FWIW, my 2007 I4 EX-L uses the larger rotor size, which I understand is normally only used for the V6s.

Thanks for any advice.
ND

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
That "914" strikes resemblance within Akebono's naming convention for their pads (ProACTxxx). Since you mention that your car is CDN then you definitely need parts for the V6. If Wagner has a QC/MX787 get them.

I feel as if the only trim that works with "914" pads is the LX/LX-P trim. This can be an invalid conclusion though. I have ProACT787s on my car as well, and I, too, have the Nissin caliper (US 09 EX-L i4 sedan).

Check this thread out to have your mind blown as well lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That "914" strikes resemblance within Akebono's naming convention for their pads (ProACTxxx). Since you mention that your car is CDN then you definitely need parts for the V6. If Wagner has a QC/MX787 get them.
Thanks for the info. To complicate matters, I tried the QC787s and they didn't fit (specifically, the provided hardware doesn't fit the caliper bracket -- close but no dice). I also tried the QC959s, also a fail (they don't ship with any hardware at all). I'd have to drive across town to try the last model that are indicated for 2007 Accords (the QC914s) and frankly I'm kinda over the Wagners.

This is why I'm wondering if I should go with the Nissin or Akebono from the dealer.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Thanks for the info. To complicate matters, I tried the QC787s and they didn't fit (specifically, the provided hardware doesn't fit the caliper bracket -- close but no dice). I also tried the QC959s, also a fail (they don't ship with any hardware at all). I'd have to drive across town to try the last model that are indicated for 2007 Accords (the QC914s) and frankly I'm kinda over the Wagners.

This is why I'm wondering if I should go with the Nissin or Akebono from the dealer.
Yikes. For good measure, give the Akebono ProACT787s a shot. I'm not sure what your dealer is charing, but Amazon has them for <$50 and they ship super fast. I ordered mine on a Saturday, had them by Monday!

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,488 Posts
I always buy Honda pads, from online dealership, using the car's VIN, and get the right pads every time, at a decent price. The brakes are always silent, and stop the car very good. So simple.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My 09 EX-L V6 is running Brembo rotors and Akebono pads. Excellent combination. I've never been this happy with my brakes in 141k of driving this car.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
My 09 EX-L V6 is running Brembo rotors and Akebono pads. Excellent combination. I've never been this happy with my brakes in 141k of driving this car.
Dude!! I almost bought Brembo rotors the other day but I had a strange feeling that they weren't legit since they were a lot cheaper than what I had expected them to be. Found a pair for like 70 bucks. I ended up ordering Wagners Premium E-Coated discs. Should be interesting since its gonna be my first rotor replacement. Kinda excited to do it! Man I was SO close to ordering the Brembos lol.. smh

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
I bought Brembo blanks and pads all around. If these are fake they are very nice fakes, these rotors and pads seem impressive so far.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,488 Posts
When I was shopping for rotors, I didn't see any Brembos with the coating on the hat and vanes, and a lot of people said they rusted quickly. The rust was the main reason I was replacing the originals, so I went with Raybestos (NAPA)with the coating, and they have been flawless for 30k miles now.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
When I was shopping for rotors, I didn't see any Brembos with the coating on the hat and vanes, and a lot of people said they rusted quickly. The rust was the main reason I was replacing the originals, so I went with Raybestos (NAPA)with the coating, and they have been flawless for 30k miles now.
They have a coating it's just the same color as the bare metal, I'll see if I can snap a pic tonight. As far as rust resistance, I make no promises there but if they perform well and last long I don't care if they look a little funky.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Lol, I'm just stuck now finding rear rotors with the coating and/or black hats since my fronts (Wagners) have black hats. Haven't installed them yet though, currently out of town. Think I'm gonna wait until I get the rears.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I ended up ordering Wagners Premium E-Coated discs.
I had the Centric Premium E-Coated front rotors from Amazon on my '98 Accord and I was actually surprised that after 30k miles the vanes were starting to rust. The coated "hat" seemed to discolor a bit but had no surface rust, but the vanes were a different story.

·
Super Moderator
6,798 Posts
The coating on the vanes and outer edges wears off after 2 years. I've gone through 2 sets of rear centric rotors, always been the same.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
I had the Centric Premium E-Coated front rotors from Amazon on my '98 Accord and I was actually surprised that after 30k miles the vanes were starting to rust. The coated "hat" seemed to discolor a bit but had no surface rust, but the vanes were a different story.
The coating on the vanes and outer edges wears off after 2 years. I've gone through 2 sets of rear centric rotors, always been the same.
Crap. And I thought the E-Coating (in general) would be nice to have. LOLOL oh well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts