I've been spending a full week researching at all options for doing a chrome delete at home...researching between Youtube videos, guides and Amazon comments. I feel like I've gotten nowhere in all that time. Here's what I feel like I'm faced with:
- eBay sells pre-cut kits but they're expensive to an unnecessary degree (plus shipping is ridiculous and you have to buy each section separately at $7+ shipping each)...it has criticism about being exact surface cuts that don't wrap above and below the chrome as it should.
- Doing it yourself: the choice of vinyl seems to be between Avery Supreme (biggest criticism is that it comes with "swirl scratches" all over it), 3M Vvivid 1080 (biggest criticism is that it's not "true black" but brown/black) or Oracal (criticism is that it's very hard to work with and looks like garbage)
- I've never done this before and I'm having a hard time estimating how much vinyl I'll need. I took measurements of everything, but there are going to be some parts that are very difficult to do - namely the chrome that wraps under the area where the trunk handle is. I'm not even sure what to do about that. I'm also guessing that areas like the "boomerangs" at the rear windows need to be cut before the "splits" where it continues on to the long strips of chrome (?) only one tutorial said that, the rest just put vinyl over those splits.
- Matte vs. gloss vs. metallic vinyl. I think Gloss black seems to be the best choice for a black '17 Accord.
- It scares (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO SWEARING)