Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2017 Accord Touring
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I've been spending a full week researching at all options for doing a chrome delete at home...researching between Youtube videos, guides and Amazon comments. I feel like I've gotten nowhere in all that time. Here's what I feel like I'm faced with:

• eBay sells pre-cut kits but they're expensive to an unnecessary degree (plus shipping is ridiculous and you have to buy each section separately at $7+ shipping each)...it has criticism about being exact surface cuts that don't wrap above and below the chrome as it should.
  • Doing it yourself: the choice of vinyl seems to be between Avery Supreme (biggest criticism is that it comes with "swirl scratches" all over it), 3M Vvivid 1080 (biggest criticism is that it's not "true black" but brown/black) or Oracal (criticism is that it's very hard to work with and looks like garbage)
  • I've never done this before and I'm having a hard time estimating how much vinyl I'll need. I took measurements of everything, but there are going to be some parts that are very difficult to do - namely the chrome that wraps under the area where the trunk handle is. I'm not even sure what to do about that. I'm also guessing that areas like the "boomerangs" at the rear windows need to be cut before the "splits" where it continues on to the long strips of chrome (?) only one tutorial said that, the rest just put vinyl over those splits.
  • Matte vs. gloss vs. metallic vinyl. I think Gloss black seems to be the best choice for a black '17 Accord.
  • It scares (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO SWEARING)

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,198 Posts
If you want a more glossy look and easy installation (vs cutting and laying vinyl anyway), you can try Raail Airwrap aerosol cans. It's like Plasti-Dip, but it's a lot glossier and easier to apply/remove. Wash the area with dish soap, let it dry overnight (this is the most important step), wipe down with alcohol, tape off the area, spray 2-3 wet coats, peel the tape immediately after the last coat, then let it dry overnight. 3-4 aerosol cans should do all of your trim and badges.

Look up Raail on YouTube, they have some tutorials I think.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’ve done both the PlastiDip and pre-cut vinyl wrap kits from eBay and I’d have to say that the wrap option is the best. Quick and easy to install.

Here’s the chrome delete kit from eBay. Fairly easy to install.

Attachments

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
I’ve done both the PlastiDip and pre-cut vinyl wrap kits from eBay and I’d have to say that the wrap option is the best. Quick and easy to install.

Here’s the chrome delete kit from eBay. Fairly easy to install.
This is sick. Nice!
Gonna try to find one for my 2014!

·
Registered
2 Posts
you could scuff the chrome with some gray scotch rite, then spray some adhesion promoter on it, preferably Bulldog product, then spray whatever color you want it and then clear. Will last alot longer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts