Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to ongoing supply issues in Japan (and the RoW) none of the online retailers or local dealerships have OEM rotors (e.g 45251-T3V-A01) for 17 Accord Hybrid. Luckily brake pads are still in stock.

The rough estimate for rotors is a 4 to 6-month wait.

We are on original rotors and brakes hitting almost 119k highway miles. I would prefer OEM replacements, but not sure if waiting 6 months at this mileage is a good idea.

Would you wait for OEM or replace them with after-market rotors?

·
Registered
27 Posts
gotcha. so pretty much any after-market rotors should result in similar mileage? I don't want to replace these every 30/40k miles :)
I don't have any hard data on that, but as long as the materials are the same I cannot think of any reason an after market spinning disc of steel would wear any differently from one built by Honda. I never buy OEM brake pads either.

Rotors are something I generally only replace on my vehicle when there is a reason, like obvious warpage or a heavy groove sliced into the surface. I don't generally consider them a consumable.

·
DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,773 Posts
...I would prefer OEM replacements, but not sure if waiting 6 months at this mileage is a good idea.
Would you wait for OEM or replace them with after-market rotors?
6 months is a long time. The thing is nobody knows if the dates will be further postponed after 6 months.

For a daily driver, any brands are essentially the same, because rotor is just a piece of metal for the brake pads to squeeze on. Regardless of brands, a stuck caliper, a rusted brake pad bracket, or rusted caliper pin could easily ruin the rotors. Your rotors have lasted this long not because it's some super quality, rather because other parts of the brake system haven't malfunctioned YET. It's safe to say that new OEM won't last as long as the original, unless you make sure other parts are functioning in good order. It funny to read the reviews of rotors, which people put blame on the rotor, while the most likely culprits were actually something else.

The biggest difference is probably the coating, some resist rust better than others. I'd just shop rotors in the "fully coated" section of RockAuto, Brembo, Bosch, ...., or others, as long as they are coated, there is little to no benefit in getting OEM, especially when you have to wait that long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts