Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Honda Accord LX just hit 80,000 miles about 6 weeks after I purchased it (used of course). I would like to make the switch over to Synthetic from conventional motor oil. I have always been told not to do this after a certain mileage, but the actual cut-off changes based on who I talk to. My last Honda (2001 Civic EX) was switched second day I had it at 75,000 miles. Just wondering since you all own Honda's and such, Feel free to chime in with your two cents.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Makes no difference as far as when/what you decide to put in it.

Synthetic oils are fully compatible with the engine as far as seals, gaskets, etc.

Just watch oil consumption. If the engine has any sludge buildup anywhere in the motor, an oil like Mobil 1 will scrub out the crud. Most PAO or Ester oils are highly detergent, more so than conventional oil. You may have to do an early change if it does.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
Drain old, pour in new, watch for consumption (very common) as Fred pointed out. That's it.

·
1,927 Posts
+1

If you're in a four season climate you'll love the improved cold starting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's lots of synthetics available but not necessarily the best. Think about using synthetics in other parts like ATF if it meet the specs.

·
2008 EX-L V6 sedan
31 Posts
Makes no difference as far as when/what you decide to put in it.

Synthetic oils are fully compatible with the engine as far as seals, gaskets, etc.

Just watch oil consumption. If the engine has any sludge buildup anywhere in the motor, an oil like Mobil 1 will scrub out the crud. Most PAO or Ester oils are highly detergent, more so than conventional oil. You may have to do an early change if it does.
I just made the swith from dino to synthetic at 56k.

How early should the first change be?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts