Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a used 2008 Honda Accord V6 with 100,000 miles. I've been good to it so far, and it's been good to me. Four weeks ago, I had the timing belt replaced (which included the pully, tensioner, water pump, all that jazz), and last weekend I did a complete (9 quart) tranny drain and fill.

My next project is probably to take a look at the thermostat. I had an old Explorer in High School that took FOREVER to heat up. I had a friend recommend a thermostat, and that did the trick for me. When that car went kaput, I got an '03 Honda Accord which I drove for a few years. The heat that came out of that thing was HOT. Turned all the way up, it would blast hot air and would have to be turned down quite a bit once the car warmed up.

Seeing as it's getting colder now, I'm sure that's why I'm noticing it, but it doesn't seem that this car puts out anywhere near the amount of heat as my last Accord. When turned up to 86 or "Hi", and the engine properly warmed up, it'll put out semi-moderate heat, but nothing that's HOT enough to turn down. I feel like if I were to let the engine idle on a cold morning to defrost my windshield, the car would never warm up enough, even just sitting there for 5 minutes, to actually do anything (although I haven't actually tested it).

I suspect it might be the thermostat. It's been forever since I've changed one (High School), though. Any direction from anyone would be a great help. Roughly how much is a new thermostat? Does it have to be special ordered or can I go snag one from AutoZone? Anything else I should check? Are there any tests that I can run to rule out whether or not it really is a faulty thermostat? Is it possible to change the thermostat without draining the coolant? Is it something simple enough that I can do myself (I'm decently mechanically inclined, but I'm also lazy). I've searched, but I'm not seeing anything on DriveAccord for swapping it out.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
37 Posts
You have to remember that when you have it in Defrost mode the AC is also on...I know there is a link somewhere on these forums for the factory service manual.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have to remember that when you have it in Defrost mode the AC is also on...I know there is a link somewhere on these forums for the factory service manual.
^^^^^ Was going to suggest the same mine is always on AC mode I have to turn the AC off all the time..

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
It could be a few things....let's try to narrow it down.

1) Do what those guys said, turn off your A/C. Any change?
2) Does the car put out more heat when you are moving along? Or is it the same level of heat regardless if you are at idle in your driveway, or driving on the highway at 55 mph?
3) Update your User CP to include your location under your username. "Getting cold" is a relative term- my cousins in Houston think anything below 65 degrees is wintertime.
4) Check your coolant level when hot and when cold. Do NOT open the radiator cap when the car is warm or hot. Only open it when the car is cold. Look at the level in the radiator AND overflow tank when the engine is cold, and at the overflow tank when the engine is hot. Again, do NOT open the radiator cap when the engine is hot- you will burn yourself.
5) How old is the coolant? Some members are getting clogged heater cores due to mixed coolant, old coolant, and other "miracle" additives.
6) Are the heater hoses (going in to and out from) the heater core the same temp when you turn the heat on?

It could be the thermostat, but it could also be that the previous owner (s) went to Jiffy Lube and the monkeys there topped off the coolant with some garbage that does not mix well with Honda blue coolant.

·
Madiganistan/Chicago
140 Posts
I had an issue with my accord where the driver side air was just lukewarm and passenger was much warmer.

I flushed the heater core out and now my heat is equal on both sides.

Where does the needle sit on your temp gauge?

That being said my 2008 2.4L accord must have a TINY heater core. Even after a long drive setting the heat to HI results on ok warm air.

My 1995 Lexus LS400 can nearly burn you the heat is so hot coming from the vents.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wouldn't "snag" a thermostat from autozone if you needed a replacement. Run to the dealer and pick up the factory part.

Try driving with the heater on high and be sure your air circulation is closed to outside air. Set the mode to blow out only from the upper dash vents. Make sure your AC is off and set the fan speed to max. Is the heat still lower than expected?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts