Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced warped front rotors with low mileage? My wife drives the car gently and at 20k the rotors are warped to the point I need to get it addressed and repaired. I've never experiences these conditions with such little mileage before

I expressed my concern at 16k to the dealer and was offered a resurface for 150.00 with re-installing the old pads, which is pathetic. I passed on this as I thought that Honda corp would take care of this under warranty.

I have an appt with another dealer next Monday to get this resolved. I see similar issues with Odysseys and Pilots at low mileage so hopefully I can get a break and have Honda absorb some or all of the cost.

Any insight is appreciated

·
Registered
242 Posts
My Acura TL has 25000 miles on it and I just got it back from the dealer yesterday for the same thing. They turned them for me for free under warranty as a courtesy but the service writer told me the rotors are only warrantied for 12000 miles,after that it's on your nickel. That said $150 seems like a lot to turn them since they don't even take them off the car to do it....

·
Registered
327 Posts
I haven't experienced it with the Accord, but it was a regular thing on my 2007 Acura TSX. I had them done 3 times in 32,000 miles because they would warp so badly that the car would shake when I applied the brake. They did it under warranty each time.

I fully expect my 2014 Accord to suffer from this same issue, but I expect Honda to honor their warranty also because there is no reason they should warp that early. I drove 50K miles in my 2006 BMW and never once changed the brake pads/rotors on that car. They also never warped. It's a quality thing.

·
No PRND
749 Posts
mine is vibrating under moderate braking at 21k. I think it has been going on for about 8k miles but has gotten more noticeable lately.

·
Former H Master Tech
366 Posts
I would suggest using Centric Premium Rotors as a replacement. They are made in the same factory as Brembo and its the exact same rotor with just a slightly different hat. They are about 1/2(or less) the price of OEM and will last longer. I run have been running these for years on the back of my race car and the quality is well documented on Evo & STI forums. If they are good enough for the track, they will do great on the street.

FYI- when they turn/cut/resurface your rotor it makes them thinner which makes them more likely to warp due to heating up faster, your better off replacing them.

·
top gear
461 Posts
Honda's are notorious for warping rotors.

My 98 Accord had this issue. Solved by installing cross drilled rotors many years ago and never had a problem since.

My 12 MDX is just starting to show signs of warping rotors. Im not happy as it isn't driven very hard and doesn't have any great amount of mileage.

Interestingly, Car and Driver did a long term test on an Accord Sport manual and they had issues with warping rotors as well on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Lets say you guys are out of warranty and need new rotors. What rotors will you guys buy?

·
2014 Accord V6 Touring
266 Posts
I haven't experienced it with the Accord, but it was a regular thing on my 2007 Acura TSX. I had them done 3 times in 32,000 miles because they would warp so badly that the car would shake when I applied the brake. They did it under warranty each time.

I fully expect my 2014 Accord to suffer from this same issue, but I expect Honda to honor their warranty also because there is no reason they should warp that early. I drove 50K miles in my 2006 BMW and never once changed the brake pads/rotors on that car. They also never warped. It's a quality thing.
i've seen plenty of warped rotors on bmw's

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was able to get the rotors resurfaced at no cost, which is great.....I realize this is not going to solve the issue long term, but should be good for a while again before I replace the rotors and pads with aftermarket as you guys suggested

Thanks for the feedback on the aftermarket centric rotors as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same with my 2012 Honda Odyssey with 17000 miles

Has anyone experienced warped front rotors with low mileage? My wife drives the car gently and at 20k the rotors are warped to the point I need to get it addressed and repaired. I've never experiences these conditions with such little mileage before

I expressed my concern at 16k to the dealer and was offered a resurface for 150.00 with re-installing the old pads, which is pathetic. I passed on this as I thought that Honda corp would take care of this under warranty.

I have an appt with another dealer next Monday to get this resolved. I see similar issues with Odysseys and Pilots at low mileage so hopefully I can get a break and have Honda absorb some or all of the cost.

Any insight is appreciated
My 2012 Honda Odyssey EXL had this issue at 17000 miles. My dealer did this for me for free though rotors are not covered under warranty. The dealer told me the next time they will have to charge me. So it is a dealer's call, they can be nice or not nice. We all need to make a complaint with the NHTSC...to get a recall. The reason they claim was that if a car sits for over a month...not in my case, and in hard braking....not often, but that's what brakes are for.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If I don't go through with the RL advics larger brake kit, I've decided to try Centric Premium front rotors and EBC redstuff pads front/rear.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts