Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Beast mode!
323 Posts
It's safe to say probably everyone's accord will have warped rotors. I'm either going with the BBK or drilled rotors with ebc pads.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's safe to say probably everyone's accord will have warped rotors. I'm either going with the BBK or drilled rotors with ebc pads.
One thing I want to advise you of, is the noise you get from drilled or slotted rotors. If the noise does not bother you, I do feel the drilled rotors will keep the pads/rotors cooler, however, you do lose surface area because of the holes in the rotor. Just out of curiosity, which drilled front rotors are you considering?

·
Beast mode!
323 Posts
There is not much out yet for our car yet aftermarket wise but there are powerstop drilled rotors available which my brother has on his 08 civic si and while they are a little noisy they have amazing stopping power and apparently is supposed to prevent warp. I'm waiting till spring anyway so hopefully more comes available by then.

·
Registered
60 Posts
All manufacturers have this issue to some degree. Make sure torque sticks are being used to tighten the wheels down during rotations. Uneven torque on the lug nuts = Just a matter of time.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record but EBC stuff is Vapor Ware. The pads will be gone before you ever know it. They are dirty and quick wearing to say the least.

I do not know what pads are available but with new rotors I would go with any pad other then EBC!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Centric Premium Rotors and Centric Premium Pads is what I replaced my stock rotors and pads with. The stocks lasted till about 52,000 miles, they became warped over time from autocross.

When looking up the Centric parts (I used rockauto), you will only find them under a 9th Gen Sedan 4cyl. Make sure you order the 292mm rotors. Certain base models of sedans utilize a 11.2inch rotor and the higher models along with the coupes uses a 11.5inch rotor. Which is the difference between 282mm and 292mm.

Hope this helps, btw if you get the centric pads if they come with shims watch out for these if you use them. I had to replace my centric shims with OEM shims because they kept rubbing on the rotor. Seems like they dont have an OEM fit.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
I had a similar issue on my stock brakes. Didn't have the issue when I switched to EBC rotors and pads. My theory on it was always that Honda OEM rotors were just weaker and more prone to warping when hot (by no means proven, but my thoughts on it).

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
5,296 Posts
I would suggest using Centric Premium Rotors as a replacement. They are made in the same factory as Brembo and its the exact same rotor with just a slightly different hat. They are about 1/2(or less) the price of OEM and will last longer. I run have been running these for years on the back of my race car and the quality is well documented on Evo & STI forums. If they are good enough for the track, they will do great on the street.

FYI- when they turn/cut/resurface your rotor it makes them thinner which makes them more likely to warp due to heating up faster, your better off replacing them.
I went with Centric rotors and OEM pads after I got the pulsation. This combo is working well.
Centric Premium Rotors and Centric Premium Pads is what I replaced my stock rotors and pads with. The stocks lasted till about 52,000 miles, they became warped over time from autocross.

When looking up the Centric parts (I used rockauto), you will only find them under a 9th Gen Sedan 4cyl. Make sure you order the 292mm rotors. Certain base models of sedans utilize a 11.2inch rotor and the higher models along with the coupes uses a 11.5inch rotor. Which is the difference between 282mm and 292mm.
^^^ This right here.

I could not keep rotors on our Chrysler Pacifica or Dodge Magnum R/T. 3-6 months was the best I could get before they shook like a sumbitch, this includes EBC dimpled rotors. I switched them both to Centrics and got YEARS out of the rotors. The Pacifica even wore through a set of front pads. I installed new pads a kept on trucking on the same rotors, didnt even turn them.

At 34,700 mi on my Accord the rotors are still nice and smooth. I am shocked as I drive this car like I hate it 90% of the time. Lots of pad life left, too. I estimate I will get 100,000mi+ from the pads and rotors.

Our Odyssey had the rotors turned at about 16,000mi by the dealer. They came in, in spec on run out but they could feel the pulseing so they did a light turn and cleaned them up under warranty. I think we just had pad material baked in the rotors. Its been absolutely fine since.

Jay

·
Registered
209 Posts
I thought a lot of what people think are "warped rotors" are really just uneven brake deposits on the rotor itself.
Experienced this recently when the car was driven to Florida by the family and I flew down. The "warped rotors" became straight and true after a few "normal" brake pedal applications. All is fine again at approximately 30K.

·
7th Gear
373 Posts
The dealer just turned the front warped rotors under warranty. All I said was that the steering wheel vibrates when braking. The rep didn't even mention that I would have to pay. I have 15,000 miles. so the dealers can fix this under warranty above 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Turning warped rotors is a very temporary and cheap solution. They will warp again. Probably even faster due to less meat to dissapate the heat produced when braking. Instructors at school always said when it came to brakes. "More meat, more heat." So less meat the less heat it can handle before warping all over again.

·
Beast mode!
323 Posts
Does anyone know if the brake rotor size is different for an EX coupe than the EX-L coupe? Reason I ask is I was going to order new rotors online and they only have the EX coupe option and not the EX-L coupe.. I'm pretty sure both are 11.5" for the front and 11.1" for the rear but not 100% sure.. Just want to be sure before I order and they don't fit lol

answer --> http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=978761&postcount=6

·
Registered
376 Posts
Only 3 sizes

There are only 3 size rotors:
LX front
Everything else front
Rear

·
'13 Accord Sport
292 Posts
Experienced this recently when the car was driven to Florida by the family and I flew down. The "warped rotors" became straight and true after a few "normal" brake pedal applications. All is fine again at approximately 30K.
x2, except mine was a PA-MD-VA and back trip. Evened out by the time I was back, made a point to brake from 70 mph a bit firmly from time to time, and all the vibrations were gone. looking good at 33K miles.

·
Registered
841 Posts
What would be the cheapest place to buy the centric rotors?

·
Registered
672 Posts
It looks like my rotors are warped on my 2015 EX-L v6 Coupe. I had to stop fast yesterday from about 95mph and the steering wheel was shaking pretty good. I then started to really check it with hard braking from different speeds and could really tell the difference from faster speeds. My car has 11k miles on it right now and this is very disappointing!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts