Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2010 EXL Coupe with the I4 engine. Am i really missing out that much by not going with the V6? I was told the i4 has plenty of power as it is a 2.4 liter engine (as opposed to something like the civics 1.8). Its still very new so i dont wanna push it on the road and find out for myself. Will I really be lacking power? Im worried because the accord is a pretty heavy car

·
Registered
577 Posts
It's got a decent amount of power, especially for a 2.4l engine... But you will never have enough... So even a v6 wouldn't be enough.... I've got a 2.4 with 22k miles on it in a yr of driving... And for normal non-psycho driving I've never felt it doesn't have enough power...

Shouldve test drove!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
As a commuter car I feel the I4 has plenty of power. It's not fast but I have never had a problem pulling onto freeways, passing, or driving up a grade even with three other people in the car. Once it's broken in don't be afraid to rev it past 3k RPM as the engine is built to rev and doesn't make much power down low.

Oh, and welcome!

·
Registered
382 Posts
--YES, yes it was a big mistake buying the 4 cyl...

--just kidding, actually if ya got 5 speed manual it's fairly peppey around the 3-5k rpm's, that's my experience----I dont know bout no automatic trans. though...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply and welcome guys.

Yeah I have the automatic tranny version.

My choices were very limited in picking an accord.

Too make a long story short, i originally bought a civic, but after 1 day, chose to return it to get something bigger. They agreed to let me, but i had to pick a car already on the lot (which meant no ordering). The only V6 accord coupe available was one with these fancy rims preinstalled that added a couple thousand dollars. They wouldnt sell it to me without the rims so i settled with the I4.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You'll like the i4, always nice to save money when 90% of the time you won't notice the power difference anyways. Welcome!

·
Boosted Sedan
1,823 Posts
You'll like the i4, always nice to save money when 90% of the time you won't notice the power difference anyways. Welcome!
Coming from the I4 recently I can contest and honestly disagree as owning 2 V6 one manual
One auto with paddles I an telk the difference big time as the i4 struggled on the highway unle unless it was constantly pushed and even then it seemed under powered but the gas milage was good....

·
Registered
968 Posts
I like the v6 alot but I think it would have been a bit more fun for me if I had the 4cy 5 speed. I had that in my old accord and it was a lot of fun to drive. I just depends on what you want. Next car will have to be a v6 manual 4 door car for me. I miss driving a manual way to much

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Depends on your personal opinion, there are plenty that say the i4 has more than enough power for them. Many others feel it is underpowered and they wish they had more power for passing and spirited driving, especially on the low end.

Since you have already purchased...lol that shouldn't matter much.

Break it in and see how you personally like it. If you think it needs a bit more oomph, I'd highly recommend some underdrive pulleys and ported intake runners to start just to give it a bit more pep!

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
There is not much difference in MPG with the auto V6, if one drives it gently and lives in the VCM zone. If you are an agressive driver, then the V6 can hurt more.

90% of the time you won't need the extra power. When you do, it that gives you a reason to rev up. :thmsup:

With the V6, there is no reason to punch it 99% of the time, unless you want to waste gas. :dunno:

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
Enjoy what you have. The I4 should be plenty for you.

Welcome to the site.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
No mistake. I have the V6 and sometimes I wish I had the I4. My Accord sees a lot of city driving in downtown Ottawa and approx. 40% of my time on the road is spent sitting at red lights (yes, I've measured this). This really takes it toll on fuel usage. While I appreciate the power of the V6 it's quite rare that I actually use all of the power (I save such activities for my G37 and 911). The car is mainly used for transporting my 3 kids to their various sporting activities at multiple venues across the city.

And as Throwdown says, you can add a little power for not a lot of money, if you're into that sort of modding.

·
09ACCORDCOUPE
599 Posts
Depends...If you have a heavy foot, like to drive fast and crave power, you'll regret it.

If you're practical, drive the speed limit and like to economize, you wont.

·
Registered
460 Posts
As I tell many people, the I4 has more then enough pep to get you a speeding ticket. The car is heavy, but its still got a decent amount of go, I would say as others, once you break it in, open it up a few times and enjoy. Other then that, it will go just as fast as the V6, just takes a smidgeon longer to get there.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I wish I had a v6 simply for the cosmetics...but the driving experience has been fine on the i4

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
you will like the i4 its 190hp. That pretty good and it has plenty of tq. its not a race car man. Its an accord that should be good enough to pass like 50% of the cars on the road

·
Registered
137 Posts
I sometimes wonder if I would be happier with the V6, but the I4 works just fine for the driving that I do. I regret more not getting a manual transmission, but we would have had to order one, I'm sure, and the one we found on the lot, we just couldn't pass up.

Our has enough pep for what we do...Besides, it LOOKS fast, right? ;)

·
Motor City
707 Posts
It's got a decent amount of power, especially for a 2.4l engine... But you will never have enough... So even a v6 wouldn't be enough.... I've got a 2.4 with 22k miles on it in a yr of driving... And for normal non-psycho driving I've never felt it doesn't have enough power...

Shouldve test drove!
If your worried about horsepower you shouldn't of even went with a Honda car period. Could of got something with 350+ or up. Its just like asking if I should of got a car in manual instead of automatic to get the full "racer" experiance.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts